Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Flat tire feeling while backing up....tire is fine tho???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tire feeling while backing up....tire is fine tho???

Ok I'm on my second LS1 platform, and haven't run into or heard of this issue yet. While I am backing up, generally out of a parking space, even on flat, freshly paved surfaces, it feels like I have a flat front right tire. I can garuntee that the tire isn't flat, its at 32psi, right where it should be. This has been happening at an increasing rate especially at my apartment complex. What could be causing this? I only get the effect coming from the front right side, and generally only when the tire is pointing inwards toward the motor, when backing up to the left. Did some suspension part die or what? I'm in the dark here, any ideas/help appreciated! TIA!

I haven't put the car on a lift yet, that will happen tomorrow or mid-next week. However I don't think that any of the wheel well shrouding or walls has come loose. It feels like something that rotates, got squared off or is lopsided.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the castor and toe settings may be out on the alignment. This can cause the tires to "bind" or "walk" and it may do what you describe.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

trackbird, how could that come about? is it something that just occurs or does an event cause it? also....is this something i can fix myself or is it time to get the front end aligned? TIA.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Teching In

This is not meant to sound demeaning but when is the last time you checked the torque settings on your lugs? A similar thing happened to me. I take my tires on/off every couple of weeks, and once did not get them torqued on well. I have since thrown that wrench in the trash. Just a thought, as it is a simple fix.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

i'll check the torque settings tomorrow when i install my 5.0 shifter...i thought about that but i gave the tire a pretty decent shake the other day and it seemed pretty much solid. the torque wrench may however tell a different story. hopefully this will fix the issue, i will update tomorrow after i test it.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
trackbird, how could that come about? is it something that just occurs or does an event cause it? also....is this something i can fix myself or is it time to get the front end aligned? TIA.
Pothole, speed bump, curb. Loose bolts on the A arms (the adjustment bolts), etc. It's hard to say what caused it, if that is the problem. But you may need to get it looked at. I'd check everything real well and then consider having an alignment shop check it out.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

yea, i may just have to take it down to the local alignment shop later today. sounds like the safest bet. still haven't gotten out there to install her 5.0 yet. will post again when i do.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The same thing happened to me recently until I got new tires installed, it even happend before a new set was installed. What happens is when the front tires wears down, the problem starts to appear when it hits the treadbar legal limiters and all the way down to the belt of the tire. I get it replaced with a new set and the problem goes away. Just happens when the tires are worn out, I am 100% sure all the air is at 32psi.

Quick Reply: Flat tire feeling while backing up....tire is fine tho???