Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are my rotors warped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my rotors warped?

The Z28 was under some heavy braking conditions this evening and when i hit the brakes real hard, it felt like there were speedbumps on the rotors. I felt this through my foot as I hit the brake. Instead of clamping, it felt like griding. Just had the pads checked. They were okay. Any ideas? May get some IRotors soon and some Raybestos quiet stop pads.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wondering the same thing. Except my case is that when I'm
running along a wall or something that will deflect sound I hear a
ticking in which the interval in dependant on how fast I'm going.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

If they felt like they're surging, your rear rotors are probably warped. If the steering wheel shakes, the fronts are probably warped. Not sure if this at all matches what you described, but these are the general rules of thumb with warped rotors.

-Mike
Old 07-25-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

best to just replace them all with some graduation money...
Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hold on! Before you replace anything, are you sure it wasn't the ABS kicking in?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

No, I don't think it was, because I wasn't stopping fast enough and I held the pedal down hard, but it bucked up like the calipers hit a bump or something...and it felt like it was grinding instead of smooth pulses.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Abidar
The Z28 was under some heavy braking conditions this evening and when i hit the brakes real hard, it felt like there were speedbumps on the rotors. I felt this through my foot as I hit the brake. Instead of clamping, it felt like griding. Just had the pads checked. They were okay. Any ideas? May get some IRotors soon and some Raybestos quiet stop pads.
Your rotors are warped! My Z28 would shake terriably when I would brake at freeway speeds. I had no idea what was causing this because my 2002 Z28 was 4 months old. Turns out my factory rotors were shatterd with hundreds of hairline fractures! Chevrolet refused to replace them because they said it was due to extremely hard breaking/abuse. Whatever!!! I bought some Sure Stop Drilled and slotted rotors and they are outstanding!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Been shaking/squeaking bad lately. Just replaced the fronts and the shaking is half gone and the squeaking (front right tire) is gone. Still shakes hard on the freeway but i think it's all in the rear now. Gotta change those rotors/pads this weekend.

Used the kragen rotors/pads. Weird thing is, the old rotors sure did look like they were flawless.

Quick Reply: Are my rotors warped?