Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable shocks worth the extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adjustable shocks worth the extra money?

I need to replace my shocks soon and I have been looking at different brands. It seems that the adjustable shocks always cost more, but is the feature worth the extra money? Or am I better off just saving my money and going with some Bilstein Shocks?
Old 08-08-2004, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

hmmm, well IMO and i'm not suspension guru, it depends on what your needs/goals are. plus are you going to change out your springs also ?

Bilstein HDs I've heard are real good but only for stock springs. you go aftermarket springs and you SHOULD have them revalved, you don't have to but they weren't meant for heavier springs. going with adjustables you don't have to be so picky, you can use them with whatever spring you want to I believe.

also you can just go adjustable up front and get non adjustable in the rear.

hope that helps and if i'm wrong in any way, feel free to correct me =)
Old 08-08-2004, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

What are some of the cheaper adjustables? I am about to do new shocks also. Mine now have 91,000 miles on them.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

It depends on what kind of adjustability you are talking about. Are you talking about something as adjustable as QA1 shocks? That you can just adjust with a **** on the back of the shocks so you don't have to remove the shocks to make the adjustments? Or are you looking for something like an adjustable Tokiko (sp?) that you have to remove to do the adjustments too? I think a good set of 4 tokiko's are around $300 or so. A full set of QA1's will run you about $600 without the QA1 front springs.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Don't ask me. I've got a custom airbag setup. I've had experience with the QA1's though. They are beautiful. WELL worth the money.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Yes, adjustability is worth the money although you can't go far wrong with Bilsteins either. Koni shocks are the cat's pajamas and well worth the cost - ask anybody! Well worth it if you even think you may road course. Lots of people on this board run with Koni SA in the front and Bilsteins in the rear, so take that for what it's worth. QA1's are more of a drag shock.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are just driving on the street, I dont think they are worth it. They will take some time to adjust, and I think that you wouldn't want to spend the time to get to the shocks to adjust them.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Koni single adjustables can be fine tuned by a chimp. I just turn a **** one way when I want to slide corners, and the other way when I want to race.

Quick Reply: Adjustable shocks worth the extra money?