Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni sports/Bilstein HD's vs. QA1's

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni sports/Bilstein HD's vs. QA1's

I've done a lot of searching about shocks...I'm confused.

I want the drag qualities of the QA1's but want the car to handle good laterally.

I want the roadrace qualities of the Koni/BilsteinHD combo but need to launch acceptably.

How much will the QA1's hurt me in the corners vs the others?
How much will the Koni/Bilstein combo hurt my 60' vs. the Hals? (Front sway will be removed at the track)

The car's application is weekend drag racing with weekday daily driving and occaisional canyon carving.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

My own personal opinion is that QA1 is the way to go. I installed a set of them on my 2000 Z28 along with the stock springs, soon to be replaced by drop springs, and I think they are great. What makes them such an awesome component is the adjustability factor. This feature lets you adjust for a day at the drags, road race, or just plain everyday driving from point A to point B. The switch over to the QA1s in the front also give you a coil over height adjustable feature that also comes in handy when setting up your ride for different performance needs.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please stay away front the Hals! 12 adjustments and they still suck. I have had Eibach pro and sport kits then the hals and I wasn't happy with any of them! You will find with the Hals it is a drag setup that is streetable. Best way to go I think is Koni SA all around 1LE springs in front and stock springs rear! I can run a low 10 ET on this setup and with the added suspension I have handle "like I am on rails". Oh and the Koni has a adjustable spring cup to lower the car 1/2"-1" without changing spring or rate!

Then when you go to the track, just jump in the back seats and turn the **** down 2 click or so and there you go.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, Bluey!

1 vote for QA1's...

Thanks, 2Fast!

I'm picking up my car tomorrow, so I'll know what kind of clearance I'll have with the LT's and 3" Y. I was thinking I'll have to raise the car a little anyway and had considered going back to stock springs if I had to. Thanks for the 1LE tip for the fronts.

1 vote against.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 08-28-2004 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Koni sports/Bilstein HD's vs. QA1's