Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

will the brtake upgrade from lgm prevent warped front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default will the brake upgrade from lgm prevent warped front rotors

i got the brembo replacement rotors and hawk hps pads and they stop really well,but the rotors warped in about 5000 miles.i was wondering if the bigger rotors would stop that.

Last edited by thefast1; 08-26-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL The Brembo OEM warped?! And so many have swore by them!

Sorry....

I have a sick sense of humor.

But, I can tell tou that on my 99' Bird I warped the front rotors and on the 01' TA I warped the rear rotors.

On both I went with Hawke pads and love em.

But the rotors I went with a slotted rotor.

The 99' Bird I put over 30k on my Powerslot rotors F/R and never warped them and they were still in great shape when I sold it in March.

The TA has had Irotor slotted/drilled rotors F/R and over 12k and no warping or cracking.

Also, I do drive hard probably 85% of the time. IMO get the slotted rotors even though many will tell you the other are better or as good.

Good luck any way you go!

But the Bigger rotors will help further and you can do a caliper upgrade and may ned to do a relocation bracket thingy. But when you is paid for and setup you will have some bad *** rotors/calipers and such. Maybe go with a 4 piston setup
Old 08-26-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can warp any rotor. Some are more resistant than others. You can blow any motor, destroy any clutch, etc. Just try hard enough.

To avoid warped rotors. Try to cool the brakes for the last mile before parking. If you come sliding to a stop from 100 mph and park the car, you will probably warp rotors. I've had Brembo OEM's hot enough to glow orange and never warped one. But, if I parked the car with them that hot, I'd expect to have a warped one when I get in next time. If you let them cool off before parking and use a decent rotor, you'll likley never have another problem.

My thoughts.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Just to throw something else out there, another thing to consider is cryo treating a set of replacement rotors. I have a set of these on my wife's WRX, but not long enough to draw any conclusions. What I've researched about it looks very promising, but still fairly cost-prohibitive at this point, I think.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thefast1,
Sounds like you are pretty hard on your brakes. I have a solution for your problems. I have F/S a Prospeed (Movit) - LS1 Porsche 996 Brake kit. Basically adapts the Porsche 996TT brake system onto an LS1 F-body.

You can do 200 MPH braking all day long.

Be warned the price of admission is steep.

PM If you are still interested,
Kevin
Old 08-28-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 30K miles, a lot of autox, and 2.5 years on my LG G-stop kit with no hint of warping.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Default try this

Again, just adding my own two cents to give you more information. After I warped my front GM originals, I replaced them with KVR slotted rotors and a set of their pads. Now, I don’t know how hard you are on your brakes, but I have been known to be quite harsh on my stoppers. Although I have to replace my pads very soon now, I have had my front KVR set-up for a little over two years now and no evil warping has re-occurred. Those two years equal to about 35K+ miles.

Last edited by bluey2kz28; 08-28-2004 at 12:39 PM. Reason: stuff...
Old 08-28-2004, 03:07 PM
roy
TECH Resident

As Trackbird was saying
Good set of rotors and proper brake management, you should be set.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:09 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 69TA
Thefast1,
Sounds like you are pretty hard on your brakes. I have a solution for your problems. I have F/S a Prospeed (Movit) - LS1 Porsche 996 Brake kit. Basically adapts the Porsche 996TT brake system onto an LS1 F-body.

You can do 200 MPH braking all day long.

Be warned the price of admission is steep.

Kevin
I wouldn't go that far , But the Porsche setup is a excellent setup.

Quick Reply: will the brtake upgrade from lgm prevent warped front rotors