Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do BMR Spherical Race/Street LCA make noise driving down the road, or should I with..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do BMR Spherical Race/Street LCA make noise driving down the road, or should I with..

Do BMR Race/Street Lower control arms with Spherical make noise (squeaks) or should I with a Spherical/poly lower control arm from Spohn?
Do I need the lower relocation brakets if my car isn't lowered, Is it going to help anything I should ask if there lowered. I get 1.8's now on Nittos with no Suspension upgrades.

Thanks to any and all replys.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have Spherical BADZ LCAs and PHB. In town driving it can get annoying unless your exhaust is louder than stock. Going down the highway its not very noticable to me. Now if you hit a gravel road.... its noisey as hell.

The LCA brackets would help at stock height too, as it helps position the load differently I believe. Do a little searching on that topic.

If you cant handle creaks and noise I'd go with the Spohn Spherical/poly combo.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BMR ones use low quality rod ends that can wear out prematurely (weeks or months). Once the tolerances began to open up, they start to rattle over rough surfaces. Spohn uses QA1 ENDURA 2000 Series rod ends and are very high quality and should last years. A lot of folks have told me that with even one rod end and poly on the other end, the poly isn't going to help reduce the vibration any, so you may be better off getting the rod/rod end LCA's. Spohn sells those, too for about $245. LG Motorsports uses the same rod ends and has a steel LCA for a little less money, about $200. Or you could make your own for about $171. Here is some info on that. http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?a...=3&t=1491&st=0

If you don't want the NVH of rod ends and are mostly into drag racing, you could get the poly/poly arms.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:53 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't make my mistake and settle for cheap rod ends...cheap ones WILL make noise, and it will make your car sound very, very cheap. Do it once, do it right.

Steve
Old 10-26-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rod ends = noise, period. Rods ended parts are race parts. Race cars rattle and squeek ALOT. If your worried about noise, use a poly bushed end.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Rod ends = noise, period.
I think your over exaggerating. Worn rod ends get sloppy and make noise. Cheap rod ends usually wear out very quickly, also.

There are lots of people here who are serious about performance and use high quality rod ends in their LCA's. There is no increase in noise unless you have a small amount of vibration travel from your rear axle into the body of the car. If you can hear it at all, it is very subdued. If the rod ends are on the PHR there should be zero noise added.

NataSS, I think you are only talking about worn out parts that are rattling.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Boyce = wrong, period.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine get noisy on rough roads or from big imperfections in the road. On normal roads they aren't really noticable, but if it gets rough you hear them right away. I have the billet aluminum LCA's with QA1 rod ends from trackbird.
I'm split right now on how great they are for a daily driver. Most of the time I don't mind, but when I have passengers it makes the car "seem" cheap because it sounds like it's falling apart over rough pavement.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

FAST LS1, have you considered that your LCA bolts on the body are not fully tight? Whenever someone bolts or welds on SFC's that extend over the LCA bolt holes, the extra material there makes if very hard to bend and sometimes the rod end bushings aren't squeezed tight, like they should be. Some folks have said to torque those bolts to 100ft.lbs. (don't quote me on that number, but I remember it was awfully high)
If they are not tight enough, they will move around in the holes and make noise over rough roads.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

FWIW, I have been VERY impressed with my rod-ended LG parts with regard to noise (among other things). For example, with my LCA's I went from stock parts to BMR rubber/poly to LG poly/rod and there has been ZERO increase in noise throughout those changes.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

I don't know what you guys are talking about with all this stuff about noise and creaks?
I've got LG aluminum LCA's with rod/rod ends, and I noticed NO increase in noise at all. I thought they would transmit a lot of rear end gear noise, etc into the cabin as well but to my suprise, they did not. I think if you get good quality rod ends, and you make sure all your bolts are tightened down really well, they won't cause any issues.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by T/A rocker
I've got LG aluminum LCA's with rod/rod ends,
Old 10-31-2004, 10:07 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
Mine get noisy on rough roads or from big imperfections in the road. On normal roads they aren't really noticable, but if it gets rough you hear them right away. I have the billet aluminum LCA's with QA1 rod ends from trackbird.
I'm split right now on how great they are for a daily driver. Most of the time I don't mind, but when I have passengers it makes the car "seem" cheap because it sounds like it's falling apart over rough pavement.
That's what turned me off to rod ends, granted I had some cheap ones. I hated explaining to my friends that it sounded like that for a reason...damn near every one just rolled their eyes and said it sounded cheap, and I had to agree. For daily driver duties, I like my poly/poly just fine, and if I ever decide to get into some serious racing, I'll definitely have a good set of rod/rod parts on hand that I can swap in right before the event.

Quick Reply: Do BMR Spherical Race/Street LCA make noise driving down the road, or should I with..