Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel hop & tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel hop & tire pressure?

When I had the stock Eagle F1s on I seemed to only get wheel hop when the tires were inflated to 30 psi or more. I let some air out and wheel hop is gone. Anyone else expreience this? Now I just got BFG g-force KDWs installed, got on it, and had terrible wheel hop. Will I ruin the tires if I drive around all the time with the air pressure between 20-25 psi?
Old 04-28-2003, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Wheel hop & tire pressure?

The lower air pressure will allow the tires to build up heat during extended driving. I'd contact BF Goodrich and ask them. I checked www.tirerack.com for specs and found only these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...orce+T%2FA+KDW

They list a maximum pressure but no minimum. I suspect that running them at 25 psi will begin to wear the outside edges of the tires much faster than the center which would drastically shorten their lifespan. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Wheel hop & tire pressure?

The one time I went to the drag strip with my factory tires, I found that while lowing the pressure did make them dig in more off the line, it REALLY cut into my trap speed (lost 3 mph by the time I dropped from 45 lbs down to 15 lbs ).

If you want to get rid of wheel hop, get a good pair of LCAs and relocation brackets.

Chris

Quick Reply: Wheel hop & tire pressure?