Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheels not sitting evenly in wells in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheels not sitting evenly in wells in the rear

I recently installed the bolt-in DMS LCA relocation brackets and the LCAs. I do not have ready access to a welder, so I am running it with that single bolt that came with it. It told me to install the bracket parallel to the floor, and I did to the best of my abilities. Now i know that one bolt is not going to hold this thing in place when I attach the LCA and drive it around for a few, but I tightened the bolt as much as I could.

I bolted everything back on and came home and noticed one wheel is sitting closer to the front of the wheel well than the other wheel. I measured the difference and it was 10mm. Is this a negligible amount?

I am taking the car to a shop to get the brackets aligned parallel to the ground and then welded in place. Just to have a peace of mind that it is not going to move. The LCAs are not adjustable so no easy fix there.

Anyone have any comments as to if that 10mm difference is a negligible amount or not?
Old 05-01-2003, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Wheels not sitting evenly in wells in the rear

10mm is a "bunch". I'd get that checked and fixed very soon. There are a little over 25mm in an inch, so it is slightly less than 1/2 inch out of place....Front alignments are done in single degrees, or fractions of degrees....10mm is alot. Hope you get it corrected. I'd not leave it that way. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Actually this is for the rear... so I'm assuming it's not that crucial for the rear? It drives just fine though. However, I looked under the car and the LCA brackets were not sitting anywhere remotely close to parallel with the ground. That will all be fixed tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

What I was trying to say (and not very well) is that the front is able to be measured to "fractions of a degree" and it uses the rear tires for a "reference" point. If the rear end is 1/2" out of alignment, the car will definately handle different, possibly wear tires (sometimes with an odd wear pattern that shows up as noises and vibrations later on) and cause other suspension related problems as well. I guess I should have stated that clearly in my last post (sorry). I hope you get it straightened out. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

this is kinda beside the point, but with your springs and LCA's, id get a aftermarket Panhard rod to keep everything centered. It might help with your problem but im not sure.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Oh i get what you mean. Looks like I have a real problem here. I think i will purchase some adjustable LCAs and fix it that way.

As far as the panhard rod goes, I put it on and adjusted it so now the axle sits straight in the center.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

That will work (the adjustable LCA's). If it is not possible to grind off the brackets, that may have to be "plan B". Good luck.

Quick Reply: Wheels not sitting evenly in wells in the rear