Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs w/stock shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano springs w/stock shocks?

Well i am really considering buying Strano springs for my WS6 but i really didnt want to change the shocks out so i was just wanted to know how bad is it to run these springs with stock shocks? I am not to worried about handling i dont road race or anything. Has anyone done this?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well the 1# reason for most people to add springs is for handling. Sam does advocate his springs on stock shocks or about any spring for that matter.

Shocks/springs go together as a system. The stock spring can NOT dampen that spring. And what car are you putting these on? What are your goals?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Let's be clear.... I don't like to see folks on stock shocks and lowering springs (mine, or anyone else's) because the shocks are a big time weak link in the suspension chain. However, far be it from me to tell someone "no" when a spring like mine is what they want, be it for the lighter weight, the ride height, whatever. I just make them promise me if they find the ride to be objectionable that they remember they have the stock shocks and it's not the springs (again, be they my springs or not).

Ideally, no I wouldn't recommend lowering springs be used on stock shocks. Then again, I don't like the stock shocks with the stock springs either.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this is not the best thing to do but i just want the Strano springs for there ride height. Like i stated above its not about handling or road racing. Later down the road i will switch the shocks out but for now i would just like to lower my car. I was just wondering if i was going to hurt anything or would i be bottoming out the stock shocks? I think the Strano springs are a very nice piece my brother runs them on his car with the Koni's and loves it.

BTW they are for my WS6
Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Fair enough. I'd be happy to send them to you.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PunkNPonys
Like i stated above its not about handling or road racing
This statement always kills me. "I am not road racing or autocrossing, so I don't need the right shocks to dampen my lowering springs".

If you buy springs, do you want them bouncing you all over the place or do you want them to work the way they are supposed to?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

My gut feeling is that the bushings and steering parts (rack, tie-rods...) take a beating if the shocks are not damping the spring rates properly. Your nevers take a beating also... at least mine do. ;-) You could end up needing a some new front end parts, especially if the roads are poor in your area.

I've put some mechanical engineering thought into this theory.

I think re-valved Bilsteins w/ Strano Springs may be the way to go cheap...they are very durable as well... but I know $$ is an issue.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
This statement always kills me. "I am not road racing or autocrossing, so I don't need the right shocks to dampen my lowering springs".

If you buy springs, do you want them bouncing you all over the place or do you want them to work the way they are supposed to?
So your telling me you cant lower your car without having to change the shocks? The ride will not be bouncy...i have many friends who have lowering springs such as hotchkis and these and there ride is not bouncy at all. And l stated above i plan on getting the shocks later down the road.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Fair enough. I'd be happy to send them to you.....
Thanks. Can you PM me a price for Strano springs and re-valved Bilsteins shipped to 78412.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

For the masses, the springs are $269 shipped. Revalves are $530 for the set (not shipped, usually about $25). Only catch is while the springs are on the way, Bilstein has been and continues to be on national backorder on shocks. We make Revalves from HD's.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
For the masses, the springs are $269 shipped. Revalves are $530 for the set (not shipped, usually about $25). Only catch is while the springs are on the way, Bilstein has been and continues to be on national backorder on shocks. We make Revalves from HD's.
Still waiting for your springs!! On the revalves can you revalve a slightly used set?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I've had springs come and go twice this year, some 200 sets (and about 10 more of the next batch pre-sold).....

I won't revalve old stuff, I tried to do it to help folks out and it was just a ton of headaches. Broken stuff, HD's that were supposedly SLP's, SLP's that I was told were HD's (and this matters because the pistons are different) and on and on.

Sorry, but I won't get involved with used stuff

Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No reason to be sorry, I completely understand. I need to step up and get some Koni's anyways but the Bilstiens have maybe 1k miles on them and I'm still trying to recover from the 454 expense!

Please post up when the next batch comes in!

Bobby

BTW back to the original question after I have hijacked the thread! I've done both. Ran lowering springs with bilstiens and without on different cars. If I was starting over again the VERY least I would do is a set of HD's with lowering springs. I KNOW they are not make for them but the stock shocks are awful. The biggest difference I notice is braking and the overall "feel" of the car. 340 or whatever more you get some entry level shocks for the springs that will ride decent. if you just do springs the car does will be "itchy" and "vague" I guess are OK descriptions.

Of course revalves would be a better solution for 200 more but that is kind of thinking gets me in trouble, before I know I've spent 2k more than I mean to on a part of the car!

Last edited by 93TAWicked1; 08-22-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Strano what is your opinion on Bilstiens HDs and your springs?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

I have had a Eibach pro kit on stock DeCarbons with 40k, brand new Decarbons, new Bilstiens, and never handle like I thought it should, no I don't road racing, drag racing, anything, it's a street car, I hite cruise nights and such.

I have currently Sam's and Koni's and it has never felt better.

My point anything can be done, if you do it, it will not ride or handle as well but can be done, so remember when after you do it and don't like it's not the springs fault.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently running Strano Springs on stock shocks. I guess you could live with the harsh ride but the one thing that kills me is the bouncy ride. If I am driving fast down the road and hit a bump, my car feels like it is in mid-air and not grabbing the ground. It's a daily driver too. I am saving up for Koni's or revalved Bilsteins. Don't worry about me wasting 400+ dollars on labor again. Friend's buddy did them for 100 plus new Sway-Bar end-links. Should do the Koni's for 75 bux.

One thing that I have asked Strano about 3 times in different PM's is the real differences between the Re-Bilsteins and the KONI's. Is it the adjustabilty that makes it 300 bux more? Is it the quality? Do the Bilstein's come with a lifetime Warranty? Do the Bilstein's provide a quality ride just like the KONI's? What is the best for my application?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A few things:

First, you can get into Koni's for starting @ $210 more than Revalves, not $300--though you can opt for Koni's that are $318 more if you want even more adjustment in the rear shocks. Sounds like a nit-pick, but $90 is $90. And FWIW, I've had customer who have progressed through different shocks, and not one I can think of who's had Revalves and Koni's has regretting the Koni's. Revalves are NOT SUPPOSED to be as flexible as Koni's. Revalves exist for cost-effective control. I do my best to valve them appropriately for the user, and I think I do a good job given how many folks like them. But you get what you get, and you can't play around to find if you like something better. You can't play around when you change some other part to compensate for a change in feel or response. What's that worth to you? Would you prefer a mail-order tune in your PCM, or to have LS1Edit or HP Tuners? Same difference with the shocks. One is not as flexible as the other, and that's just what Revalves are meant to be.

The idea that "I don't race, so I don't need anything with good damping": Wrong. Here's why it's wrong. Your cars weigh as much or more as any competition car, and the shocks not only control the spring rate, but also the mass of the car. The more mass, the more damping required. Add the spring rate and you need more yet. Think of the little shocks on a screen door. They work well, but try hooking on up to a big steel or glass door--it'll be overwhelmed, and those are dampers just like the ones on the car.

HD's with lowering springs. I do not recommend it. Pure and simple, Bilstein's have never been built with Sport type valving, which is what you need. HD's have never been intended for lowering springs--ever. And quite frankly don't have nearly the damping necessary for lowering springs. Frankly, I find them too soft still with stock springs. They are not super performance shocks, they are excellent replacement shocks that are much better than stock. But not much more than that. They would have been good stock shocks.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I am currently running Strano Springs on stock shocks. I guess you could live with the harsh ride but the one thing that kills me is the bouncy ride. If I am driving fast down the road and hit a bump, my car feels like it is in mid-air and not grabbing the ground. It's a daily driver too. I am saving up for Koni's or revalved Bilsteins.
This is important. This is a one symptom of a lack of damping. This is not the spring's fault beyond the springs being stiffer. This is something that happens with stock springs as well, which is why we always want to change shocks on these cars.

Which is right for your shock wise? Can't tell you, that depends on your wallet, what you know and what you think. I will tell you if you can't decide Koni's are the better choice since you aren't boxed in to a certain type of damping level. Bottom line, you can't really go wrong with Koni's.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I will be happy after I get married next month so I can start buying car parts again. I'm like a crackhead. I need a car part fix! I bought a set of Strano springs a few months ago because I know they go fast. My car has sportlines on it now and stock shocks(It was that way when I bought it)The car is bouncy going down the road but does seem to handle good. I don't have anything to compare it to so "good" is a relative term. I can say it handles better than my 89 T/A with sportlines and HD's(that was my fault, I picked that combo because I thought i knew what was what. Wrong.)Now I have talked to Sam Strano and seen the light of proper suspension parts.

I have a friend who keeps telling me KYB's are good shocks. I try to tell him that I don't think they are. He tells me how good his car handles with two inch drop springs and new Gabriel shocks from Auto Zone. Sometimes I want to smack him.

Myself was debating on the revalves or the Koni's. After reading Sam's post about the two it looks like I will be saving up a little bit more for the Koni's.

Quick Reply: Strano springs w/stock shocks?