Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

98 z28 a4 front brakes squeal! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 z28 a4 front brakes squeal! HELP!!

Hello all, got a 98 z28 that I can't get to stop squealing when I lightly apply the brake. I worked as a auto tech for years and never saw too many f-bodies at the time, so here goes! It coming fron the front first off. I replaced front pads (semi- metallic) and turned rotors at same time. Still squeals! Then, all new spring clips, STILL SQUEALS!! Then I bought ceramic pads, and S.S.!! Then I cleaned the slide pin area in the bracket and bought all new pins, and u got it S.S.!! Now I'm thinking that I might replace the rotors to try a different metal composition to change the variable. Any ideas?? My winter cars sounded better stopping!!! Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default figured 90% of it out!!!!!!!!!

Update, this has been a problem for many 98 z28 from what i can tell on here. Here is what happened on mine. I just bought this car and the brakes were really in good shape. When i was switching pads front pads to try to get rid of this dam squealing I was greasing slide pins for the first time, which looked like they were just done ( not frozen, plenty of grease, and moved nicely) I thought dam this is great. This car only has 30k on it, believe it or not. Problem never went away! So I took all the brakes apart again, and wiped all the grease off the slide pins (caliper pin/bolt) and dammm theres my problem!!! All of the caliper pins were worn or were previously cleaned up on a buffing wheel cause they were rusty. I got my calipers out (measuring calipers) and hot dam they were all from .003"-.005" undersized. When I was braking it was causing my calipers to oscillate in in their brackets. Replaced and lubed all 8 caliper pins/ slides and 90% of my problem is gone! It rarely ever squeaks now!