Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installing stock brakes on a 9"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installing stock brakes on a 9"

im putting my 9" together and am wondering what it took you guys to put the ls1 brakes on it? i read that you have to machine out the bore for the backing plates, but want to know what all is involved. hoping to have it together and in the car this weekend

thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a moser 9" and didn't have to machine anything to get the brakes to fit. It was all direct swap.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
I have a moser 9" and didn't have to machine anything to get the brakes to fit. It was all direct swap.

i bought mine from moser also, but when i was reading the instructions it said something about machining the center hole out.... im assuming this isnt necessary? did you have to modify your ls1 backing plates at all?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't have to modify anything.

The instructions are for multiple vehicles... it said stuff about third gens and LT1 cars also.

Everything bolted right up no problems. Only thing i had to do is notch the center section where the torque arm mount went on.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't have to modify anything.

The instructions are for multiple vehicles... it said stuff about third gens and LT1 cars also.

Everything bolted right up no problems. Only thing i had to do is notch the center section where the torque arm mount went on.
my torque arm mount bolted right on, without touching the center section. so im assuming the brakes will just bolt to the bearing retaining plates then? or how does that work?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

I had a moser housing with a strange center section... maybe why i had to notch.

Ya they just bolted right on with the supplied T-bolts. Just make sure you put the plates on before you get the bearing pressed on the axle, because they wont fit over the bearings... ask me how i know
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had a moser housing with a strange center section... maybe why i had to notch.

Ya they just bolted right on with the supplied T-bolts. Just make sure you put the plates on before you get the bearing pressed on the axle, because they wont fit over the bearings... ask me how i know

you are talking about putting the backing plates on the axles right? maybe thats why they need machined out so you dont have to yank the brakes off every time you pull the axles... if im understanding you correctly
Old 09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

The brake plates act as the backing plates. If you machined them out then there would be nothing to hold the bearing from backing out of the housing.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

The brake plates act as the backing plates. If you machined them out then there would be nothing to hold the bearing from backing out of the housing.
then what are the two retaining plates i got with the rearend for?

Quick Reply: installing stock brakes on a 9"