Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

calipers sliding

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calipers sliding

ok, something is wrong here. The bolts in the sliding pins on my passenger side have been slowing backing out. I can feel them move and click when I step on the brakes at a low speed. They actually elongated the threads inside of the pins at one point. So they were replaced. They started coming loose again so I loctited them and greased the pins.

When they come loose, the car gets real squirelly to drive. It's better now. However, I noticed both my front calipers move. I can pull them in and out from the car about an inch. It's as if the calipers aren't fully against the caliper bracket. However everything is as tight as can be, and I even kept constantly pulling everything apart to make sure everything was lining up correctly. This just doesn't seem right. Any ideas? Kinda vague I know. The front suspension is stock except for Eibach lowering springs, I'm guessing about a 1.5" drop, not sure though they came on the car. I hate to have to take it to the dealer (it is under warranty) and wait for it if it's something quick and simple I can do.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not quite sure what the issue is...but the calipers should slide freely on those pins. Having an inch of movement (without the rotor in place) sounds about right. It's a full floating caliper, so if that's the movement yout are referring to, then it's supposed to do that. If you have considerable movement with the rotor in place, then I wouldn't drive the car until you figure it out. Should be very difficult to get any movement out of it with the rotor in place (and held on with a couple of lugnuts).

As to the caliper bolts backing out, sounds like you replaced the pins and bolts but they are still backing out even with Loctite. My suggestion would be to replace the calipers that this is happening on.

Those bolts should be installed with blue Loctite and torqued to 24 ft-lbs. I've never heard of them backing out before.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I completely lost one of those bolts earlier this summer. I put a new bolt in with red loctite. I wouldn't think its a problem with the actual caliper, though, if its backing out even after you replaced the pin and bolt, because the bolt screws into the pin. I can see if the original pin got stripped that could be the issue, but its odd that it would happen with a new bolt and a new pin.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

yea even w/ the rotor on I can pull them back and forth a bit. It seems as if the pistons might be retracting into far. Now mind you, this was after I pulled once side apart and put it back together, it might have seated and been fine after I drove it and the pistons expanded. However the otherside was not taken apart so I don't understand that. It seems fine under normal driving conditions and even harder braking. I drove it for 35 miles yesterday no problem. I didn't check them cuz obviously they would be super hot, I'm gonna check them later and let you know how they look. And I did use blue loctite. One question about that, this was the first time I used it. Should it have been real watery or did I buy a bad tube of it?

Could the holes in the calipers that the pins go through be worn out? Would this be possible? The car only has 33k miles. This all seemed to slowly happen after I took it to the track once last year (rotors got warped and all, real junky brand were on there). Also the roads I take to school are so bad because of construction, I've had the alignment knocked loose and ruin a tire. Could that mess w/ the brakes?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, loctite is pretty watery...

Once you get them on they might still be loose until you pump the brakes, I think this is what you are describing? I'm guessing they'll be fine when you go check them. If its both sides, maybe check the brake fluid?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

brake fluid low you mean, or air in the system? I can understand the side I took apart being loose, but what about the side not taken apart.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by highlander316
brake fluid low you mean, or air in the system? I can understand the side I took apart being loose, but what about the side not taken apart.
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking maybe you need to check the fluid level and/or bleed them. I'm not a braking system expert, but thats where I would start.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

fluid level was fine. I checked the brakes after they cooled down from driving and I can still move the calipers some what w/ a little force. They feel loose.