Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Torque arm/crossbrace mount install, mysterious clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI Torque arm/crossbrace mount install, mysterious clunk

Hey guys,
I just installed a non-adjustable UMI T/A and a new UMI transmission crossbrace that changes the front T/A mounting point from the trans tailshaft to the crossbrace on my 98 Z28, A4 trans. Since the install, I've been getting a clunk that sounds a lot like a broken transmission mount (had one a while back), but there doesn't seem to be much play in the trans when I try to push it off of the stock mount from underneath (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch) with everything bolted up, so I don't think that's it (doesn't look damaged from the side, front or back either); I've been talking to Ryan from UMI and tried a couple of different settings on the front mounting point, but I'm still getting the clunk. It happens on hard acceleration, hard down and up shifts, and rarely during regular driving. It's not lowered, I have non-adjustable UMI LCA's and PHB also. Anyone else had a similar issue? Thanks for any help or advice you guys might have.
-Travis
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, it sounds as if you're getting the noise from the rear end transferred to the crossbrace mount and just not used to it yet. Anyone else?
I ran a tunnel-mount T/A for a while from MAC and it was a noisy F*YHER. Went back stock for a bit and just got a dual-adjustable Random Tech T/A. Good luck figuring it out.

D
Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think so too. All of the linkages have some small play in them
and your couple hundred pounds of rear end times a little slop
makes for clunkage, clunkage no longer isolated by the stock
torque arm flexure, trans tail mass and rubber. I also took back
off a crossbrace TA mount for vibration reasons.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Same here. I didn't figure that out til yesterday. Only had it on since monday. It's the Sphyrical linkages slapping slightly, but since the thing is connected directly to the floor, there is not buffer (mount) to absorb the clunk.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had a similar experience. At first I thought it was possibly the k-member that needed to be retorqued since I'd had the engine out but now I believe that it has something to do with the t/a being relocated.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

What about the trans mount? Suggestion - go to a poly trans mount; they don't move much at all.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

if you have a 9", your torque arm pivot is probably hitting the driveshaft loop. if not, your torque arm bracket in the rear where it bolts to the housing is hitting your tunnel. i've had nothing but contact problems with my UMI stuff and moser 9..i would do things differently second time around...
Old 10-16-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
if you have a 9", your torque arm pivot is probably hitting the driveshaft loop. if not, your torque arm bracket in the rear where it bolts to the housing is hitting your tunnel. i've had nothing but contact problems with my UMI stuff and moser 9..i would do things differently second time around...
I hear that clearance is a pretty big issue with the 9". I don't know that the UMI STUFF IS THE PROBLEM.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

yep i know exactly what it is. I have the BMR tracpac which is welded in but does the same thing. and what is happening is by the tunnel brace the lorque arm is popping up and down and causing a loud klunk. I dont think it is supposed to do that and my problem is that i dont think i welded correctly, i think if i would have welded it about 1 inch further back then it wouldn't do it. When I downshift and the engine is at a high rpm it clunks and when i am in reverse and hit it a very little it does it. I dont what i have is normal, and im going to cut the brace and reweld it this summer and that will hopefully fix it.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
Hum, mabey thats my problem?

Quick Reply: UMI Torque arm/crossbrace mount install, mysterious clunk