Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Edelbrock torque arm w/ Moser 9"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Edelbrock torque arm w/ Moser 9"

They say this TA will only fit 10 bolts. I'd like to try it w/ my Moser 9". I like the looks of this thing, it's much smaller than the other makes and I'm thinking it might be the only one that offers adjustibility that won't require the BFH mod.

Anyone runing one w/ a Moser 9"? Does it fit? Does it hit the floor?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They will not fit. The Moser 9" center section is very large opposed to the factory 10 bolt. The center of the rear mount of the torque arm will hit long before the holes line up with the holes in the rear end.

Any of the torque arms we offer with the exception of our non-adjustable unit will bolt to the Moser 9". The nice thing about the Moser 9" is it allows you to use out the outer set of holes in our torque arm. This allows the arm to slide in further to the center of the car and away from the tunnel area.

If you have any questions please ask and I am glad to help.

http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...ategory_id=130

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with UMI, top notch stuff

Also, I've heard of a few edelbrocks being broken under reasonable conditions, haven't heard of any broken UMI TA/s... and if one does break, you can bet UMI will make it right.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it. It didn't initially fit, so a little grinding had to take place. The *** on the front of the edelbrock plate had to be grinded down, and the actual plate area that the bolt's go through needed a little clearance before they fit as well. In the end.....I toook it to the track the same day, first pass on 26x10x15 hoosier D05s snapped the heim joint on it and the rest was history for that thing. I've been running a Random Tech TA since then. The joints are MUCH thinker as are the tubing. Haven't had a problem since then.

Best of luck!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

So the RT arms fits OK? I have one on my 10-bolt but wondered if I move to a 9"...
Old 10-19-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys.

Ryan, I'll be giving you a call in the near future. I need a little help deciding what style I want to use. I'd like the car to remain relatively quiet, so I'm thinking I should go with a full length, tranny mounted unit, maybe one with a DS loop. (Which raises another question. Will the loop fit with a 3.5" DS?)
Old 10-20-2007, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Thanks guys.

Ryan, I'll be giving you a call in the near future. I need a little help deciding what style I want to use. I'd like the car to remain relatively quiet, so I'm thinking I should go with a full length, tranny mounted unit, maybe one with a DS loop. (Which raises another question. Will the loop fit with a 3.5" DS?)
Sounds great, I will be glad to help. I would suggest the tranny mounted torque arm for you, item # 2205- www.umiperformance.com/2205

The loops on are tunnel mounted arms are very close when it comes to 3.5" drive shaft... I always recommend to use a 3" Chrome Moly one to prevent any fitment issues.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 10-20-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

ryan, i have the newest UMI performance tunnel mounted torque arm. I have a Moser 9" and my torque arm hits the tunned pretty bad and my car has the stock bilstein suspension package! it actually punctured the sheet metal..not happy about that at all. I have already banged out the tunnel and it is still hitting. the front of pivot also extends too far foward and is contacting my driveshaft loop. pinion angle is at -2. what can i do about this????
Old 10-20-2007, 08:53 PM
FormerVendor

Are you using the outer holes of the rear bracket?

Like I mentioned above, the Moser 9" is much larger then the factory rear end. The housing is extremely large, then with a large housing Moser places a torque arm mount on there. Since the housing is so large the torque arm bracket is pushed to the drivers side and foward.. every aftermarket torque arm is going to have the same issue. You can if you haven't already use a adjustable panhard bar to get the rear end more centered under the car. Also the torque arm can be removed and using the adjustable rod eyes in the rear, shorter the arm up some. If you need help with this please call our tech support at 814-857-5400

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 10-21-2007, 04:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

yes, i am using the outer holes. I think i will shorten up the torque arm to prevent the front pivot from hitting the driveshaft loop. Do i just unbolt the torque arm and screw in the rear rod eyes into the torque arm to shorten it? do the same amount of turns per rod eye to shorten the torque arm on the top and bottom, correct? I have the UMI panhard bar as well and have tried to center the rear end more towards the passenger side to prevent contact..it did help a little. will shortening the torque arm affect performance at all? should i use the upper or lower hole on the front pivot for maximum traction in drag racing? thanks for your help.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

anybody have input on this?