Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help - broke top of shock shaft where allen wrench goes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - broke top of shock shaft where allen wrench goes

I was replacing my sister's springs and the shock mount/nut/etc. were pretty rusty and instead of being smart and using some evapo-rust, I decided to just try it. I got the nut half-way off using an allen wrench at the top of the shaft and then it just split open and I wasn't able to use that any more. I used vice grips and just screwed it back together without putting in her new springs. Of course that ruined the threads but I had to do something. Can I send the shock out (or should I send both out just in case? I only tried one) and have that fixed, and what should it cost? It's a Bilstein HD. Could it be covered under warranty?

Maybe I could dremel off the tip of it and then try and grind a wrench flat in. I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Let my stupidity be a lesson to all: If you have to do shocks/springs up front and it's rusty, do something about the rust first!

Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose it would help if I mentioned how bad it split open, huh? It's only down one side of the hex "insert" and goes down maybe 4-5mm. I have no pictures, unfortunately.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did an install on a very rusty car last year and had a similar problem. As I was changing springs all I needed was the mounting rubber. I ended up cutting the spring and shock piston rod off and grinding out the piston rod. I then pressed the rod out without removing the nut.

In retrospect I should have just gone to the dealer and bought new isolators. Put lots of antisieze on the new shock where it goes into the isolator. That can also rust fairly solid.