Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wanting to change my car's stance again, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wanting to change my car's stance again, need opinions

I posted this before but didn't get any responses so here it goes again. Right now I have the LT1 Prokit on my 1994 Trans Am with Strano revalved Bilsteins. I love the stance and all but it rides kinda rough for my liking and I need some clearance for duals that I want to run eventually, my town is full of speed bumps! Also if I hit a bump too hard with more than 2 people in the car, the rear end will hit the bump stop and I can hear my tire rub inside the fender.

I was looking at BMR, Strano, and Hotchkis springs but can't decide on what to go with. I don't do any canyon carving or auto x. Just straight line driving for me! They all got my attention since they advertise about a 1" drop.

So what I wanted to do is buy stock rear springs so I could do the hose mod for the rear then just buy the fronts to lower the front of the car. I figure it would work with the revalved Bilsteins, I would gain ground clearance, hopefully a little better ride (comfort), and it would have a little bit of a rake to it so I can run a bigger tire. What do you guys think? I want to hear from the suspension Gods on this one since I'm kinda clueless on the subject. Hopefully Sam will chime in here or people that have tried this setup.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stock springs w/ no rear isolators might give you a stance youd like. It gives a 1" drop if I remember corectly and stock springs are better for weight transfer when drag racing.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prob BMR or Hotchkis if the car is used for drag/street driving.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by porksoda
...Right now I have the LT1 Prokit on my 1994 Trans Am with Strano revalved Bilsteins. I love the stance and all but it rides kinda rough for my liking and I need some clearance for duals that I want to run eventually, my town is full of speed bumps! Also if I hit a bump too hard with more than 2 people in the car, the rear end will hit the bump stop and I can hear my tire rub inside the fender.

I was looking at BMR, Strano, and Hotchkis springs but can't decide on what to go with. I don't do any canyon carving or auto x. Just straight line driving for me! They all got my attention since they advertise about a 1" drop.

So what I wanted to do is buy stock rear springs so I could do the hose mod for the rear then just buy the fronts to lower the front of the car. I figure it would work with the revalved Bilsteins, I would gain ground clearance, hopefully a little better ride (comfort), and it would have a little bit of a rake to it so I can run a bigger tire...
By your description, it's highly likely that your rear springs are the culprit of what you're experiencing. First, you could only change the rear to the stock spring/heater hose mod you mentioned while keeping your front Pro-kit. If you then feel the need to get a different pair of front springs, then you'll know after simply doing one step at a time, plus if you're actually happy with pro-kit front and stock/heater-hose mod rears, then you might just save money and time.

I mention this because I used to have an LT1 pro-kit and the rear springs were the biggest problem. If I'm not mistaked, other's have mentioned this as well.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

The springs probably wouldn't sag so much if me and my friend weren't over 220lbs each. LOL But yea I do want to raise it up a little bit for the reasons mentioned in my first post. I'm hoping Sam will chime in here and give his opinion since we have kind of discussed this before.

Anyone got stock rear springs for sale?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Any more opinions on if this will give me a more comfortable ride?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I can't see the car, or know how much it's "settled" in the rear it at all. Unless there is something really wrong with the rear springs I don't think a spring change will help you. Look, I'd *LOVE* to sell you a set of my springs, and god knows I know BMR would too. However, while there are differences they just aren't *that* different in rates overall or heights to get you a huge change or more ground clearance.

It seems the ride has degraded with time, and if that's the case it's probably the shocks you need to change, not the springs. I can't really diagnose or recommend anything by e-mail so you'd want to call. But I'll be asking about things like tire size and pressure most likely because those things can also effect the ride.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Well the shocks I purchased from you about 1 1/2-2 years ago so they "should" be good. Also the springs only have 20k-30k miles on them so I'm sure they have settled a little bit but nothing major. I'm sure my problem is coming from me and my friends all being over 220lbs easily. LOL (We were all football players at one time) Which is why I hit the bumpstops with more than 2 people in the car.

Also I wouldn't mind a more comfortable ride but it isn't that important seeing how I have solid motor mounts, poly trans mount, poly torque arm mount, and all my aftermarket suspension has poly bushings. I just wouldn't complain if the ride was a bit smoother. And like I mentioned I drag race so a bigger tire back there and better weight transfer couldn't hurt. I would buy drag springs and shocks but this car is also my daily driver so it can't be too outrageous.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Look, I'd *LOVE* to sell you a set of my springs, and god knows I know BMR would too. However, while there are differences they just aren't *that* different in rates overall or heights to get you a huge change or more ground clearance.
wow! that was a *super* post!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by wXh151
wow! that was a *super* post!
I suppose you'd perfer I lied? That's what I get from being honest. In this case what he's after isn't going to be magically changed by changing to any of the above springs, mine or other wise. Call me gay, call my post gay, I don't care.

I run my business the way I run my business and it's served me and my customers well over the years. My concern is my customers are well served regardless of what you think. If that means I don't lie to them to make a quick buck.... well I guess that's what I'll do.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I haven't been able to do revalves since March of '07 at all because of the shortage. I don't know if the ride has degraded in that time or if you felt it was too firm to start. I also don't know what it's doing and when to be able to judge. The fact is shocks do wear and Revalving was done on the front with a 3rd gen OTS rear valving. It could be the rears have softened up, it could be we just need a different front valving. Maybe I was over aggressive. I can't say at this point. Too many variables and not enough details.

I can't help without talking on the phone, that's the bottom line.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Well in all honesty the Prokit rode rough from the beginning with the stock replacement shocks. When I purchased the Revalves I thought it would make it alot more comfortable. Don't get me wrong because it did really help out compared to the stockers but like I said I believe the problem is the springs. Plus the fact that everyone has a different taste for what "comfort" is compared to the next person. Me personally I like the way my sister in laws stock 98 Trans Am rides but I also want a lowered look hence why I made this thread. Ultimately the decision is up to me but I just want people's opinions who I value or who have done it.

I know how hard it is to diagnose stuff on the net trust me! It's like me calling the hospital and telling them I'm broke.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My springs are a bit softer (550 vs. 600 working in the front, 150 vs. 160 working rear) compared the Pro-kits. So it might help a bit. Revalves were never meant to do what Koni's can do. We did them to offer control that other shocks don't have. This is where the adjustment is nice... you can set the shocks to what you prefer.

Pro-kits for the LT1 are firm, I don't think they are perfect but they aren't far off what lowering spring need to be. Given what I'm hearing, I'm starting to think Koni's and stock springs using the lower perch and isolator mod might be the best idea.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yea thats what I wanted to do from the beginning but I already had the Prokit so I just went Revalves. Really makes me wish I had spent the extra $200 on Koni's back then when I got the Bilstein's. I'm just an el cheapo and am trying to do the same thing but cheaper. LOL
Old 07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the LT1 pro kit and Konis set in the middle on the front, full soft rear.

the ride is different than stock, firm, but not harsh like it was. overall i think it is more comfortable, and much much better handling.

sounds like the problem is the shocks :/. I know that sucks to hear considering how much money konis cost.