Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Old Tired Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Tired Suspension

Hello all,

My WS6 has 120k on it, I just bought it. It looks lower than most other T/A's, but didn't know if it was just an illusion, because of the WS6's bulkiness... Anyway... It does not ride good. It bottoms out sometimes on minor bumps, the suspension is loud as well...

What all should I look at replacing if I wanna get this thing handling well... Don't really want to add handling performance, just want to get the old parts replaced...

Heck I don't even know how these suspensions are setup.. Are they springs and shocks or coilovers, or what?

Thanks

Jason
Old 10-06-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you positive you are on stock suspension?
A stock WS.6 doesn't really handle all that great IMO, and mainly due to the stock shocks being valved all goofy. Rear has too much compression (slamming on bumps, snap oversteer), and both front and rear don't have enough rebound (floaty, disconnected ride and handling) and that overall "tired" sloppy feeling. Stock replacement, or cheapo over the counter replacement shocks will not fix this, and some may make it worse. Bilstiens or KYB's from stranoparts.com would be a better choice if you are on a budget and expect budget results. If you truly want to the car to ride and handle well you can look into Konis, which on otherwise stock suspension made my car feel similar a BMW.
Front is coil over, rear is separate shock/springs BTW.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I just installed Strano's Bilstein package this weekend......you can get it to your door for right around $400.....I had stock susp at 104K.....night and day........
Old 10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm Still on stock suspension has well hey what shocks are orange? I have over 103,000 on it.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Mid range, Bilstein HDs or Tokico.
Right, Konis.

Call Sam Strano.

Any of the above will be night and day.

Orange are DeCarbons (stock) and unworthy of use as a hammer, though effective as applied to the hiney.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I think the posts you see above make it pretty clear that you need to get yourself some better shocks. Each of those folks have, and are pretty blunt about the differences.

I know it's tempting to think that you must have something very wrong because the car works so damned poorly. I promise you the shocks are the culprit above all else. Until you get those squared away all the parts in the world won't help you

I sell a lot of brands, including KYB, Bilstein, Koni, Edelbrock, Tokico and even Monroe. No shortage of options, but not a lot of really good options.

Depending on the use the top two are Koni (always) and Bilstein.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!