Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Got bilsteins put on, but have ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got bilsteins put on, but have ?

So I have a basically stock 99 Z28. I ordered soe Strano Bilsteins and had hell puttin them in...lol. Anyway, I got finished with that last night, hopped in and went for a spin. I'd say it rides a little better, handles a little better, and things work just smoother somehow. Anyway, question is, what do I need where this thing won't follow the waviness of the road, cause something just don't seem right with the way it goes over small wavy spots etc in the road. I want it to handle decently, and possibly ride better. What should I do to it next, without getting springs.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by havocnmayhem2005
So I have a basically stock 99 Z28. I ordered soe Strano Bilsteins and had hell puttin them in...lol. Anyway, I got finished with that last night, hopped in and went for a spin. I'd say it rides a little better, handles a little better, and things work just smoother somehow. Anyway, question is, what do I need where this thing won't follow the waviness of the road, cause something just don't seem right with the way it goes over small wavy spots etc in the road. I want it to handle decently, and possibly ride better. What should I do to it next, without getting springs.
All you did is change shocks all four corners with stock springs? Bingo on what you are seeing! I try to describe it as banana over bumps/dip in the road and I got it from just changing the front springs.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by havocnmayhem2005
I'm sorry to say that springs are the wrong way to go. Maybe I'm missing something here in the explanation you give, but you say it does a lot of things better, that's good.

But you lose me on the "waviness of the road" part. Can you give an example of a car that does what you are seeking? How does the action you describe manifest itself? I mean does the car wander around, or are you just not liking that the car follows the road and you'd want more ride isolation?

If that's the case, it's not really going to happen. The Bilstein's are amoung the best riding shocks there are. Putting on more spring rate, lowering the height, adding more roll stiffness and all that won't help get you more road isolation if that's what you seek.

Again, I could be missing what you really mean. Maybe you want less body roll which would be very different and best addressed by an appropriate set of swaybars. I'm having a hard time defining the complaint and need a little help here.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Not complaining at all about the shocks or anything. They are great. I guess I'm used to riding in sedans that ride awesome and seem to handle good at the same time, of course I'm probably not driving those as fast either.lol. Ok there is a couple of narrow highways around my area that it just seams that with the waviness in the road and how the car follows it wants to push me in whatever direction and I have to really hold the wheel good for it to not push the car around a lot. It may just be me, I am satisfied witht he shocks like I saidbefore, just always looking for more I guess. haha
Old 10-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Restricted User

Sounds like you need an alighnment... easily sounds like what happens with more toe out and camber than normal street cars have.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I can't remember the term for it - but I think he's talking about the front tires following the ruts and grooves in the road - that steering effect.

If that's the case, there's not much you can do about it ... different tires may help, and the wider the tires, the worse it will be.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he means trammeling(sp). I run 1/8 or 1/16 (can't remember it's written down in glovebox) toe in on each front tire and have virtually none. I notice no tire wear probs either but I am **** about roatating them.