Cam and ud pulley install question for ya

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam and ud pulley install question for ya

Going threw one of those I can do it myself moments on a cam and ud pulley install in my Ls2 which is going in my 01 SS, since I can't rely on so called "friends" and want to save a few bux (no shop). The motor is out of the car and I know the basics (at least I think). Question is after pulling off the front cover and harmonic balancer what comes next and what specail tools will I need? I am also replacing the springs and p.r's as well. If someone could also clue me in on the cam sensor thing (ls2 going in Ls1 car with Ls1 harness) it would be appreciated. Not looking for a hand out but some advice and what I could expect. As always your help is always appreciated thanx

-Mario
Old 07-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Launching!

well, i can tell you that it would be handy to have the valve spring tool to change out the valve springs. it's either that or compress the cylinder with air to make sure the valves dont fall down in the cylinders. cam sensor i don't know about, but i believe you'll need a harness adapter for the knock sensors, because they're in a different location on the LS2 than the LS1. also, there's a tool that thunder racing has that you insert in the block to make sure the lifters don't drop when you pull the cam out. i'm probably missing a lot, but that's what i can think of. good luck with the swap man
Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Banned

You can use 2 5/16" steel rods from home depot so the lifters don't fall, only cost about $10 bucks or so. You need a valve spring tool to do that swap.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First off on the valve springs, dont use the tool that looks like a pry bar that u use the rocker bolt to compress the spring on the dual springs, I did this and broke a rocker bolt off in my brand new head, valve springs are gonna be ur biggest pain in the ***, but the motor is outta the car so that helps alot. For keeping the lifters up, you can go to Autozone and get the pen magnents, and slide them down in the pushrod hole to hold the lifters up. And Sorry but I know nothing of the knock sensor differance. Pm me if u have any questions. try www.ls1howto.com Even though ur workin with an ls2 this site could be of some help.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Launching!

All good info and also make sure you replace the pulley bolt DO NOT re use yours
Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Launching!

wow, lots of helpful info i actually wasn't aware of. Thankfully there is an Autozone right by my house. Pen magnets, not a problem neither is the pulley bolt. Where can I purchase or rent this valve spring tool? Again thank you very much for the tips, it does make it a bit easier.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by avengedws6
And Sorry but I know nothing of the knock sensor differance.
the knock sensors in an LS1 are in the valley cover. they were relocated to either side of the block on an LS2 and require a different type of harness, but you can make the harness yourself if you're crafty
Old 07-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
wow, lots of helpful info i actually wasn't aware of. Thankfully there is an Autozone right by my house. Pen magnets, not a problem neither is the pulley bolt. Where can I purchase or rent this valve spring tool? Again thank you very much for the tips, it does make it a bit easier.
You are going to be a lot better off using the rods instead of magnets, cheaper and I've seen a pen magnet slip off the head which means bye bye lifter. Like someone else said spring for a good valve spring tool, I've used the cheap one from autozone and pulled threads out of the rocker holes.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:55 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...fo-inside.html
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Thanx Deerhunter, I am looking at buying a compression tool from Bynum speed. I'm not really in a hurry anyway b/c I want to do it right so the ordering thing plus me leaving back out for another two-three weeks tomorrow means more time to properly prep.I will also need new head gaskets and front gaskets I'm assuming since the front cover and heads are coming off?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Thanx too jlrz28, I see I have to also change my relucter wheel on the crank on the Ls2 as well. I'm hoping the whole crank does not have to come out for that right?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Thanx Deerhunter, I am looking at buying a compression tool from Bynum speed. I'm not really in a hurry anyway b/c I want to do it right so the ordering thing plus me leaving back out for another two-three weeks tomorrow means more time to properly prep.I will also need new head gaskets and front gaskets I'm assuming since the front cover and heads are coming off?
lol....a lot of the tools that we are suggesting is so that you DON'T have to pull the heads. you don't have to unless you plan on replacing the lifters or something
Old 07-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Thanx too jlrz28, I see I have to also change my relucter wheel on the crank on the Ls2 as well. I'm hoping the whole crank does not have to come out for that right?
are you sure you have the wrong reluctor? some LS2's have the right reluctor on them. and are you sure it's an LS2? some guys get the LQ blocks and call them LS2's, even though they're really not
Old 07-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
are you sure you have the wrong reluctor? some LS2's have the right reluctor on them. and are you sure it's an LS2? some guys get the LQ blocks and call them LS2's, even though they're really not
I am absolutely positive I have an aluminum ls2 out of an 06 tbss. I was told to do b/c my Ls1 pcm won't read it correctly (reluctor wheel). And I am replacing the lifters and going with Ls7 lifters . The cam I'm installing it is not reccomended to rev it over 6400 rpm's (not that I'm planning on doing that anyway). So thats why the heads are coming off. In that case will I still need this tool and am I wasting another 100 bux on lifters?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/fbody/...allmagnets.jpg
Take a close look at the pen magnents here, this is what I was talking about on how to use them, just be very carefull if u use them. If u pull the heads off, I would go with GM MLS head gaskets, there perfect unless ur gonna run a billion pounds of boost, there like $60 bux. It took me longer than most to do my head cam swap but I was doing on my days off, and I didnt pull the motor out. Use the head cam swap info off that ls1howto for alot of referances.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

I am absolutely positive I have an aluminum ls2 out of an 06 tbss. I was told to do b/c my Ls1 pcm won't read it correctly (reluctor wheel). And I am replacing the lifters and going with Ls7 lifters . The cam I'm installing it is not reccomended to rev it over 6400 rpm's (not that I'm planning on doing that anyway). So thats why the heads are coming off. In that case will I still need this tool and am I wasting another 100 bux on lifters?
Ok, in that case you don't need to do anything to hold the lifters up since you're swapping them anyway. Just do the valvesprings when the heads are off.

Still not sure why people are suggesting pen magnets when it's a lot cheaper to buy 2 dowels and slide them in there, no being very careful about just take about 2 seconds on each side to slide them in. You also don't have to be worried about a pen magnet accidentally slipping off the head and dropping your lifter.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Thanx again fellas, Lots of helpful info. I'm going to get the gaskets and harness adaptor and I think I'm prety set to do this when I return in a few weeks for my home call. I'll let you all know how it went. It don't look like it will be all that bad tho.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Hey Mario insted of spending 100.00 on spring tool just take heads to shop & can prob.
get them milled & springs set up to cam spec's for around 100.00!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

newb here. i don't understand the reason using pen magnets so the lifters will fall into the cylinders. please explain to me in dummy terms lol. good luck with the build OP.hopefully i will be knowledegable enough one day to take the plunge.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
newb here. i don't understand the reason using pen magnets so the lifters will fall into the cylinders. please explain to me in dummy terms lol. good luck with the build OP.hopefully i will be knowledegable enough one day to take the plunge.
I'm about as experienced as you are (or less than) but hey thats how we all learn right? Still on hold b/c of cam decesions and reluctor wheel fab kit. I'll be tackeling it for sure though upon my return in 3 weeks. I'll let ya know my progress.