Need opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry Need opinions please

I need opinions.

I purchased a used shortblock from another member and he told me it was in perfect running condition. After receipt, I carried it to the Rage motorsports and James pulled the front and rear covers and pulled the cam out of it. At this point he noticed the cam bearings. The rear one was worn down to the copper and two others looked like someone had took a hammer and chisel to them. At this time I attempted to contact him. He told me that he was in the mountains somewhere. So after not hearing from him for a few days, I said to myself that I would just suck it up and pay for it. I decided to have all new bearings and rings put in the motor. The motor is at the machine shop now and they just called and said that 2 of the head bolt holes were cracked on the motor. I called and asked him to just kick me some money back to pay for the parts and he refused, said that the motor was perfect.

Who is in the right?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

obviously you are in the Right. It's possible the seller didn't know about the problems, But He should reimburse you something..
Old 08-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More Details...

Was the motor one he bought or one out of his car?? Miles?? Mods?? How Much $$$$$ we talking about....

If its a motor with 200k on it that was $200 it will be different than a motor with 1500 miles on it for 2gs

**Edit** I think you are in the right just thik there should be a few more details
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

I think you got hosed, but perhaps the seller was unaware of it's condition. However that is no excuse for the seller to deny any responsibility for bad goods. I would call his *** out.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Motor was supposedly in perfect shape with 36K on it. He maintains it was running in his car. I bought several things from him so I guess you could say I gave ~$900 for the motor. The machine shop said it looked like a Franken-Motor. Looks like they took several motors and put together to make one...

The shop that pulled it is a sponsor on here and I spoke to one of the owners and he promised me that if it wasn't perfect he would let me know.

Last edited by Stang's Bane; 08-31-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Launching!

He needs to help you out.... no way a 36k motor should have cam bearing issues
Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

That is what I thought.

I am not asking for all of my money back, I would settle for $225 to fix the bolt hole issue.