Front PLate help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front PLate help

ok so today i got pulled over in the trans am for not having a front plate on....and i dont wanna take off the bird and make it ugly...that would plan c...any one out there have done anything else besides puttin the plate on the windshield??? like maybe a mount on the windshield cuz the trooper said to have it vertical or sometihng like that....anything would be appriecated guys thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

you can try putting it on the air dam, although i'm not so sure it will be very visible... that's about the only thing i can think of besides putting it where it's intended to be
Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah true ive seen it once or twice on here...but the streets here....kinda sucks the big one hahaha thanks for the input tho
Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

I know they make some brackets that hide it away when you dont want it seen. It slides up underneath or something like that. They were initially made for vettes, but thats all i know about that
Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya i googled that n saw a camaro on here that had 1 but hmmm 150 bucks for the kit...and i honetly i have no idea how to take the bird off to mount the plate...or just get ome sticky double sided tape n tape the plate to the windhield vertically
Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your license plats have to be mounted at the most furthest rear and front point of the car, putting the plates in your windows is still illegal, no matter how you mount it... you can still get pulled over for it and get a ticket, same thing with mounting it on the air damn/ plastic thingy underneath the front...

get some sticky tach put it on the back of the plate and put it on the bumper (becareful not to scratch the paint) take a picture go to court show that you "fixed it" it gets dismissed, have a good day! but beware you might get pulled over again... lol
Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha he just gave me a warning...but ugh i jut got chrome overlays on the bird...and i have no idea how to take it off
Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

there are screws holding the license plate filler in place... if you get a flashlight and look between the gap on the top and bottom of where the filler meets the bumper you will see the screws that need to come out
Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

This is what I did to keep the grill looking good. I just made some L brackets for the front and mounted it that way. Granted, you may not want to cover the bird, so you may be able to shift it to the left or right to mount so the bird it still visible. This also keeps the front from getting messed up, but the down side is you either have to mount it with screws under the front bumper, or get some really sticky double sided tape for the L brackets to mount to the bottom.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i saw your thread bout your i like it but the camaro has so much room to play with lol and how do u get to those screws under the hood? or do u have to go from the bottom
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chaos07
haha he just gave me a warning...but ugh i jut got chrome overlays on the bird...and i have no idea how to take it off
just in case you are unaware that warning is entered into your DPS record. I was stoped out in west tx a couple of months ago in wife,s SKY, trooper politely informed me TX law requires two plates which I had none on front, he ran my lic and informed me I was stoped on I-10 in houston 2 years ago in same car for same problem, he said that if I were stop again by Tx DPS, ( which would be three times for same problem)he assured me I would be written. as to placeing plate in car that is not ligit, also in a wreck that plate could slice off your head
just becarefull even if it is a "fix it ticket" if stoped again if the judge wants they can check your DPS record
just mt $0.02'
Johnny
Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
just in case you are unaware that warning is entered into your DPS record. I was stoped out in west tx a couple of months ago in wife,s SKY, trooper politely informed me TX law requires two plates which I had none on front, he ran my lic and informed me I was stoped on I-10 in houston 2 years ago in same car for same problem, he said that if I were stop again by Tx DPS, ( which would be three times for same problem)he assured me I would be written. as to placeing plate in car that is not ligit, also in a wreck that plate could slice off your head
just becarefull even if it is a "fix it ticket" if stoped again if the judge wants they can check your DPS record
just mt $0.02'
Johnny
yes writtin warnings do show up on your record, BUT ok in traffic court the judge is just trying to get everyone out asap, he looks at the ticket, ask if you want DD, tells your how much you owe, when to pay when your DD is up and thats it... atleast thats how pearland, and deer park works... i have never had a judge that really looked at my driving record, i mean they do have it right there in front of them, but i dont THINK they look at it, and like is said if you have a pic with the date on it with the plate on, how are they going to argue? as long as you fix it they MIGHT dismiss it, or they might not dismiss it because at the time you did NOT have the plate on... im not trying to be rude im just emphasizing to the OP what might or might not happened, im not lashing out at no one just commenting...
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah he told me that after 2 warnings its a ticket..damn u texas license plate law lol ill just have in the windshield for now till i can get the front plate off n mount it there
Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=02CamaroSSLE;12968361]your license plats have to be mounted at the most furthest rear and front point of the car, putting the plates in your windows is still illegal, no matter how you mount it... you can still get pulled over for it and get a ticket, same thing with mounting it on the air damn/ plastic thingy underneath the front...

get some sticky tach put it on the back of the plate and put it on the bumper (becareful not to scratch the paint) take a picture go to court show that you "fixed it" it gets dismissed, have a good day! but beware you might get pulled over again... lol[/QUOTE

Texas law does not state that your plate has to be at the furthest front and rear of your car. That is a myth. I know. Been pulled over for having it in my window and that was the same story they fed me. Looked up the law and it does not state that. There is even a court ruling on it that backs it up. I keep both in my car just in case.

And if that were true then every car would get a ticket seeing how your plate is not on the furthest back. And that would go for the cop cars that have the impact bumpers on the front without the plate being there. Check it...says nothing of the front most.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatut.../502/H/502.404
Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chaos07
ok so today i got pulled over in the trans am for not having a front plate on....and i dont wanna take off the bird and make it ugly...that would plan c...any one out there have done anything else besides puttin the plate on the windshield??? like maybe a mount on the windshield cuz the trooper said to have it vertical or sometihng like that....anything would be appriecated guys thanks
I actually just moved to Corpus last month and got pulled over TWICE in two days. I think the local counties are doing a front plate effort or something. I went once to one town to pick up a desk for my office got pulled over by a sheriff got a warning, the next day i went to my parents to pick up my pup, got pulled over AGAIN on the way there by a state trooper. Thing is I didn't know where my front plate was cause i never run one and this was in my truck...long story longer finally got new plates and mounted mine in my bumper using no brackets for a cleaner look. Be on the look out though S Texas peeps the cops are looking for that $hit lately... One warning and two fix it tickets in two days later.... Gluck
Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Launching!

just do what I did after my 2nd no front plate ticket... take the bird off, put the plate on then put the bird back over it... Keep a phillips screwdriver in ur glove box. Then when ur pulled over for it tell him you have a front plate, hop out pull the bird off real quick and make up some story about having just done a car photo shoot or car show or some **** and how you didn't want ur plate # posted all over the internet and it obviously looks better with the bird... Should work every time
Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Let me help you folks out. Wish they would make some of these stickies, so the same questions don't get asked all the time. By the way, I am a State Trooper with the 2009-2010 law book sitting right here in front of me.

1.) Citation Title - Operation of Vehicle Without License Plate or Insignia TC 502.404:
A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehiclethat does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, etc.

Now there are some exceptions and the entire law is about half a page, but for your average car, this ^^^ is what applies. Now it doesn't specify what the "front" is technically, but here are a couple more they can get you on.

2.) Citation Title - Obscured License Plate TC 502.409
A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:
subtitle:
(B) alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or
(C) alters or OBSCURES the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the color of the license plate

Again, this is only a small portion of the law, but answers most of your questions. This section also talks about putting a covering around the plate and putting a glazed or clear cover over the plate.

3.) Citation Title - Obstructed View through Windshield TC 547.613
A person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:
(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view;

This section goes on for an entire page talking about window tint and reflective material and other things. But you cannot have anything in the front windshield except for the rear view mirror or you could be legally stopped.

I think this rules out the air dam, windshield and any other place, including behind your bird cover. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WstTexas
Let me help you folks out. Wish they would make some of these stickies, so the same questions don't get asked all the time. By the way, I am a State Trooper with the 2009-2010 law book sitting right here in front of me.
1.) Citation Title - Operation of Vehicle Without License Plate or Insignia TC 502.404:
A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehiclethat does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, etc.

Now there are some exceptions and the entire law is about half a page, but for your average car, this ^^^ is what applies. Now it doesn't specify what the "front" is technically, but here are a couple more they can get you on.

2.) Citation Title - Obscured License Plate TC 502.409
A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:
subtitle:
(B) alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or
(C) alters or OBSCURES the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the color of the license plate

Again, this is only a small portion of the law, but answers most of your questions. This section also talks about putting a covering around the plate and putting a glazed or clear cover over the plate.

3.) Citation Title - Obstructed View through Windshield TC 547.613
A person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor:
(1) if the person operates a motor vehicle that has an object or material that is placed on or attached to the windshield or side or rear window that obstructs or reduces the operator's clear view;

This section goes on for an entire page talking about window tint and reflective material and other things. But you cannot have anything in the front windshield except for the rear view mirror or you could be legally stopped.

I think this rules out the air dam, windshield and any other place, including behind your bird cover. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
with all that said every corvette that I see does not have a plate displayed in front of the vette? that be localy and when I in SA... just asking.......
Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
with all that said every corvette that I see does not have a plate displayed in front of the vette? that be localy and when I in SA... just asking.......
yeah seriously, i don't think i have ever seen a c5/c6 vette on the street with a front plate, and it seems like all the ones i read about on this forum getting stopped are camaros or t/a's... so do the vette guys just have a free pass or what lol
Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
Because we take the risk.

Originally Posted by neutron82
yeah seriously, i don't think i have ever seen a c5/c6 vette on the street with a front plate, and it seems like all the ones i read about on this forum getting stopped are camaros or t/a's... so do the vette guys just have a free pass or what lol
Most c6z's I have yet to see one on them. Most of the people that drive them can afford the tickets and just do not really care. I don't care about the ticket if I get pulled over. THAT being said I'm also not out driving with a loud exhaust and doing burnouts driving like a mad man.

I'd be willing to bet if the state trooper that posted on here ealier reads this he would chime in and say that officer do stereo type. Don't we all? Typically if you see an f-body who is driving it? A young kid acting like an idiot. Who do you see driving the newer vettes, esp the z's? typically older more mature people. I KNOW THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS, i'm just saying generally.

Driving without a front plate is the gamble you have to play, either pay to play or put on the tag and quit being a worrier.