Beaches on the Gulf

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beaches on the Gulf

New to Texas and I want to take the family to the Gulf for a weekend.
Where is a good place to go? Only one some people i know have reccomended has been Galveston.

TIA
Josh
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't go to the Galveston beachs. Go down to Freeport. Take 288 to the blinking light at the gulf, turn left, go about 3 miles and there is a clean beach there, Don't remember the name of it right now. Galveston beaches are dirty. Galveston is a decent town to tour, like at the strand but the beaches suck.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks man.
We are looking for something no to far from the DFW area.
We want to find a Hotel or condo right on the beach and just hang out for the weekend.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
don't go to the Galveston beachs. Go down to Freeport. Take 288 to the blinking light at the gulf, turn left, go about 3 miles and there is a clean beach there, Don't remember the name of it right now. Galveston beaches are dirty. Galveston is a decent town to tour, like at the strand but the beaches suck.
Surfside
Old 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cptncdy
Surfside

Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Port Aransas is good family fun. If you're taking kids, look at Port Royal. My Parents used to own a condo there. Probably the biggest pool I have ever seen. 5 combined with a huge slide. Plus you get the beach and can commute to Corpus or drive 2-4 miles to port aransas. If it helps, it is located on North Padre Island, one side is the gulf and the other is Corpus.

All the condos along North Padre have their own beaches.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Yea.. Port Aransas as mentioned above is a sweet spot for family.. Can drive anywhere along the beach, stop and goof off. The Pier there you can rent a pole and try fishing.. I use to back my truck over by the jetties and sling out my 15' rod and fish. If you have a 4+4 go down to big shell, nice shore fishing their, gets deep quick, its very secluded though..
Old 03-30-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Yea.. Port Aransas as mentioned above is a sweet spot for family.. Can drive anywhere along the beach, stop and goof off. The Pier there you can rent a pole and try fishing.. I use to back my truck over by the jetties and sling out my 15' rod and fish. If you have a 4+4 go down to big shell, nice shore fishing their, gets deep quick, its very secluded though..
Exactly, Port aransas is one of the top fishing towns in texas. Usually jump on the Scat Cat when I am down there. Cost 60 bucks, but you basically max out on snapper, I usually also catch a few Mahi or two. Plus it is a 100+ foot charter, so not near as choppy as the small charters.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redz_02
Exactly, Port aransas is one of the top fishing towns in texas. Usually jump on the Scat Cat when I am down there. Cost 60 bucks, but you basically max out on snapper, I usually also catch a few Mahi or two. Plus it is a 100+ foot charter, so not near as choppy as the small charters.
Oh yea, forgot about that one.. If you going during the week it wont be crowded. They use to have a 20 dollar fishing boat, it was an old ferry, that went around the jetties. I pulled 5 black drum up one evening off that boat.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

South padre island
has very nice beaches
great place to visit.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

where are the bitches?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We've got a house down in Pointe West at the far west end of Galveston. The beaches are much cleaner down there and they have a private beach club and swimming pool in our development. You have have a whole house for the price of a hotel. Check it out at www.galveston-resort-rental.com.
Either way, there's a lot to do in Galveston.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99FRC
We've got a house down in Pointe West at the far west end of Galveston. The beaches are much cleaner down there and they have a private beach club and swimming pool in our development. You have have a whole house for the price of a hotel. Check it out at www.galveston-resort-rental.com.
Either way, there's a lot to do in Galveston.
Thanks man. Do Tech members get a better rate??
How far is it actually to the beach from that house?

We are still looking at where to go we just want to so something in May and want to be right on the water.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Get a beach cabin down near west beach, like pirates beach or Jamaica beach in Galveston its nice down there, or cross the pass and hit up surf side. Lots of nice place on the west end of galveston, and ur only 20-30 form town so u could go see the harbor and hit up the shops on the stran
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
+1 Its worth the extra drive over the Galveston Area. Just fair warning, from my experience most Corpus Christis area beaches, you may need 4x4 just to give you piece of mind. Lots of marine life at the Jetties in Port Aransas, if you enjoy that kind of thing too.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Pensacola, forget our beaches here they really suck. You can drive to Florida in the same amount of time it takes to get to South Padre.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Not looking to go all the way to S Padre. Just looking to keep it within about 5 hrs from dallas.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Port A.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Thanks man. Do Tech members get a better rate??
How far is it actually to the beach from that house?

We are still looking at where to go we just want to so something in May and want to be right on the water.
It's about 50 yards to the beach (has beach and bay views from the deck), but we hardly ever go to the beach there. The club has an infinity pool that overlooks the ocean, so it's a lot better hangout. Plus they have a bar! If you want a tech discount, PM me.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redz_02
Port Aransas is good family fun. If you're taking kids, look at Port Royal. My Parents used to own a condo there. Probably the biggest pool I have ever seen. 5 combined with a huge slide. Plus you get the beach and can commute to Corpus or drive 2-4 miles to port aransas. If it helps, it is located on North Padre Island, one side is the gulf and the other is Corpus.

All the condos along North Padre have their own beaches.
My family and I used to stay at Port Royal when i was a kid and it was pretty cool. From what I understand, it still is a popular place for families. My sister and brother-in-law stayed there last summer.