man sued for parkin his own truck in his own driveway

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default man sued for parkin his own truck in his own driveway

saw this while reading about that 1400hp 5th gen... thought this was insane!!! whether it's ugly or not if he is driving it every day who gives a flying **** if he parks it in the driveway...

http://jalopnik.com/5600495/man-spen...yline=true&s=i
Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 AM
9 Second Club

Man, that guy's house is gorgeous...

His Homeowners association is **** for pulling a stunt like that. Why would he not be allowed to park his car in front of his house? Grant it, his truck isn't a ferrari or anything, but it certainly isn't a broken down piece of crap. I'll tell you what... If they get their panties in a bunch over a truck being parked in a driveway, they would absolutely HATE some of us...
Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

I hate HOAs. The idea behind them is good, making sure nobody lets their house become a dump, neighborhood pools and parks, etc. But, many of them end up being run by stuck up old farts with nothing better to do than gripe about insignificant **** and threaten people with lawsuits.

Our HOA told us a few years ago they were raising dues because not enough people paid the previous year. WTF?! How about you go after the people that didn't pay their dues, rather than saddling the responsible homeowners with more fees?

-Mike
Old 07-31-2010, 08:08 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for him, I hate those HOA's they get really out of hand.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

The HOA's in my neighborhood gave me **** for having two vehicles on my driveway one didn't have current plates...I saw those pos driving around taking pictures and threatened me with tickets. I can't stand them!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Launching!

HOA's suck. they told me i cant consistently keep 4 cars in my 4 car driveway. so i parked all of them across the street in a grassy area for 2 months before they asked me to pack them back in my driveway. they also have it int he bylaws i am nto supposed to own a truck over a 1500
Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Teching In

its pretty ridiculous when the HOA's have several full time employees just to make sure the neighborhood doesn't get run down.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Any one catch the part about NAMBLA?? North American Man Boy Love Association....
Haha who would that be in there
Old 07-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Were not even allowed to leave our trashcan on the walk way up to our house anymore and its hidden by bushes...sometimes i really question the things they worry about. My house isn't perfect by any means but we cut the grass on the regular trim all our plants and still were the ones being sent letters too for the smallest things. While down the street you have a bunch of ricers who park in their grass and dont ever cut the damn lawn. This is a real shame, to have to pay...to use the same property you pay for, and in this case paid alot for. Besides its a damn f350. A clean f350 might i add not some geo with paint chipping and a fart can.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Lets go get these guys

Old 07-31-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dam thats fucked up...
Old 08-01-2010, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

HOA's are the Passive Aggressive Douchebags Association of America. I will never EVER live in a place that has an HOA.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slash8915
If they get their panties in a bunch over a truck being parked in a driveway, they would absolutely HATE some of us...
This.

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
HOA's are the Passive Aggressive Douchebags Association of America. I will never EVER live in a place that has an HOA.
This.

I'll be damned if ANYBODY tries to tells me what I can or can't do on my property that I pay for, PERIOD.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Financial risk for homeowners
In some U.S. states (such as Texas) a homeowners association can foreclose a member's house without any judicial procedure in order to collect special assessments, fees and fines, or otherwise place an enforceable lien on the property which, upon the property's sale, allows the HOA to collect otherwise unpaid assessments. A proposed constitutional amendment in Texas would limit the power of HOA's in such matters. A case in point involves a soldier who was informed his fully paid for $300,000 home in Frisco, Texas had been foreclosed on and sold for $3,500 by his HOA over unpaid dues of $800 while he was serving in Iraq.[25] This case is still pending. Federal laws protecting military personnel may be his only defense.

Other states, like Florida, require a judicial hearing. Foreclosure without a judicial hearing can occur when a power of sale clause exists in a mortgage or deed of trust.[26]

A report self-published by a professor at Washington University disputes the claim that HOAs protect property values, stating, based on a survey of Harris County, Texas (which had an unusual legal regime regarding foreclosures): “Although HOA foreclosures are ostensibly motivated by efforts to improve property values, neither foreclosure activity nor HOAs appear linked with the above average home price growth.”[27]

Homeowners association boards can also collect special assessments from its members in addition to set fees, sometimes without the homeowners' direct vote on the matter, though most states place restrictions on an association's ability to do so. Special assessments often require a homeowner vote if the amount exceeds a prescribed limit established in the Association's by-laws. In California, for example, a special assessment can be imposed by a Board, without a membership vote, only when the TOTAL assessment is 5 percent or less of the association's annual budget. Therefore in the case of a 25 unit association with a $100,000 annual operating budget, the Board could only impose a $5,000 assessment on the entire population ($5,000 divided by 25 units equal $200 per unit). A larger assessment would require a majority vote of the members. In some exceptional cases, particularly in matters of public health or safety, the amount of special assessments may be at the board's discretion. If, for example there is a ruptured sewer line, the Board could vote a substantial assessment immediately, arguing that the matter impacts public health and safety. In practice, however, most Boards prefer that owners have a chance to voice opinions and vote on assessments.

Increasingly, homeowner associations handle large amounts of money. Embezzlement from associations has occurred occasionally, as a result of dishonest board members or community managers, with losses up to millions of dollars.[28] Again, California's Davis-Stirling Act, which was designed to protect owners, requires that Boards carry appropriate liability insurance to indemnify the association from any wrong-doing. The large budgets and expertise required to run such groups are a part of the arguments behind mandating manager certification (through Community Association Institute, state real estate boards, or other agencies).

The AARP has recently voiced concern that homeowners associations pose a risk to the financial welfare of their members. They have proposed that a homeowners "Bill Of Rights" be adopted by all 50 states to protect seniors from rogue Homeowner Associations.[29]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeowner_association
Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Yes. I hate HOAs. It's foolish to live in a neighborhood that has one given there blatantly inordinate penalties.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Do a lot of neighborhoods in and around Houston have HOA's? I'm looking to get a house in a couple of years in the $200-$250k range, and I definitely don't want to move into a place that has an HOA...
Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Living in a place with a HOA is an absolute necessity in Texas, unless you live in the sticks.

Very few places having zoning codes, and if you don't have an HOA, then there is nothing to protect you against your neighbor deciding to bulldoze his house and open a gas station, or anything else that would instantly make your house unsellable.

Having an HOA that is a pain in the *** sucks, but it is still better than the option of not having one, and having zero control over what occurs around you, which is especially true during this time of all these foreclosures.

Lots of historic neighborhoods have restrictions against parking pickups in plain view.

A friend of mine lives in a neighborhood that is designated historic, and they don't allow pickups parked in plain sight. HE fought them for three years, and didn't win. It is especially irritating for him, since he owns a large truck customizing company, that outfits 1 ton dually trucks for OTR drivers, Rodeo cowboys, etc, and mist of his trucks sell for 80k plus.

His argument was why can his neighbor park their $10k honda civic in the driveway,. but he can't park his $120k pickup in his.

He finally solved his issue by installing full height windows in his garage and leaving the garage lights on at night. pretty damn funny.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Launching!

plenty of city ordinances that will cover most of what those hoa's lather themselves up about...
already pay enough taxes as it is...
Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slash8915
If they get their panties in a bunch over a truck being parked in a driveway, they would absolutely HATE some of us...
Lol "I can't drive my truck anymore so let me drive my NASCAR to work" Just tear *** down the road everyday and every ones **** would vibrate off the wall.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

So is it JUST trucks that they flip **** about, or is it certain vehicles?

I guess they hate trucks because it looks like construction is going on or something? Idk. I plan on having a C6 Z06 or a Viper by the time I buy a house, and I'll park it in the garage, but If I want to park it in my driveway, I better damn well be able to. It just pisses me off that they told this guy he can't park his nice truck in his own driveway. I could understand if it was an '85 toyota or something, but his truck is pretty expensive.

Quick Reply: man sued for parkin his own truck in his own driveway