Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll never bend over.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a small HOA, they arent really much about vehicles but just maintaining your yard and no one can have a fence in the front yard, thats about it.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I have a small HOA, they arent really much about vehicles but just maintaining your yard and no one can have a fence in the front yard, thats about it.
See, now I could live with that. I don't really see a point in having a fence in the front yard. I wouldn't mine a gate if I had a mediterranean style house to where the driveway goes through the house so to speak.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Very few places having zoning codes, and if you don't have an HOA, then there is nothing to protect you against your neighbor deciding to bulldoze his house and open a gas station, or anything else that would instantly make your house unsellable.

Having an HOA that is a pain in the *** sucks, but it is still better than the option of not having one, and having zero control over what occurs around you, which is especially true during this time of all these foreclosures.
I can't believe that... The chances of that happening are slim to (more of a chance of) none.

I would take my chances with that happening so I can live how I want. Then for maybe that not happening and not being able to do anything.

Simple solution in that case.... Zoning codes=no HOA.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

hahahaha. that is some bullshit. I will never bend over and have HOA or anyone for that matter tell me what i can and cant park in the driveway i pay for that is MY property. hahaha. Im glad that guy won, he deserved to
Old 08-01-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what the **** was wrong with the truck? I was thinking it was a old b2200 pick up on 20 inch rims lol!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I lived with my G'ma next to their HOA president for a few years and I'll just say that he had a super power trip going on. Hated the fact that my Trans Am was even sitting in the garage, hated it even more when I parked it in my driveway. He called the cops b/c I parked it in the driveway with expired tags.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 AM
On The Tree

I agree anyone who is purchasing a piece of property should not be told he can not do what he wants. We live in america. If I didn't want freedom I would live in a commy country. We have gotten so far away from what we stand for here.I live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood one street away from where the hoa starts. No one will tell me what I can do withmy house or what kind of vehicle I can drive. Where are our rights people. This really pisses me off.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
I lived with my G'ma next to their HOA president for a few years and I'll just say that he had a super power trip going on. Hated the fact that my Trans Am was even sitting in the garage, hated it even more when I parked it in my driveway. He called the cops b/c I parked it in the driveway with expired tags.
My parents had a neighbor like that just down the street, on the HOA as well. Long story short we ended up in a altercation over my old H/C/I mustang, he punched in the rear quarter, I punched his face a few times sending him to the pavement, the next door neighbors called HPD. HPD ended up not doing **** with either of us, he took his lumps and I was outta pocket for the repairs....
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Wow this is crazy! HOA's aren't as common in NY but lots of there are lots of Co-op boards that do the same thing with apartments. They say what you can do to the inside of your structure (like taking a wall down or putting one up), and even what you can hang on the door. It's not like you're renting, you own the place. Glad this guy won-makes me feel a little better.
I really was thinking about Texas for when I retire (many years from now). Is all of Texas run by different HOA's?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99TransAm GF
Wow this is crazy! HOA's aren't as common in NY but lots of there are lots of Co-op boards that do the same thing with apartments. They say what you can do to the inside of your structure (like taking a wall down or putting one up), and even what you can hang on the door. It's not like you're renting, you own the place. Glad this guy won-makes me feel a little better.
I really was thinking about Texas for when I retire (many years from now). Is all of Texas run by different HOA's?
Nah there are plenty of neighborhoods without HOAs, however; they do tend to be run down/older etc... My wife and I had a real shitty HOA when we lived in Austin, but we lucked out when we moved back to the Houston area. The neighborhood has an HOA, but they are not dicks and seem relatively unactive...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Holy ****. I cannot believe this, it is utterly ridiculous. I thought that the United States was a free country. I find the fact that a private group of people could form a non-government entity and attempt to exert their will upon property owning citizens an extremely disturbing trend.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

HOA's suck. Had one in Baytown of all places, not a bad neighborhood, but not like this by any means. They sent me a fine for having a waterhose in my driveway, just happened to be the same day and time I was washing my damn truck. **** those people.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
I can't believe that... The chances of that happening are slim to (more of a chance of) none.

I would take my chances with that happening so I can live how I want. Then for maybe that not happening and not being able to do anything.

Simple solution in that case.... Zoning codes=no HOA.
Gas station was an extreme example .. what usually happens it the local road contractor buys a piece of property to park his equipment on for two years while he is re-doing the streets, or yoru neighbor decides to have his entire family move in with him, or decides to run an auto salvage yard on his 5 acres (go to SKinner and Spring Cypress, behind the Autozone to see that example)

you see it all over the NW side of town.. just take a drive.

If you live in a neighborhood, especially in a house that backs up to undeveloped property, or to a major street, you are asking for trouble if there isn't an HOA to protect your rights. There are no zoning laws to protect you, and probably never will be. If you have never had a pain in the *** neighbor, you don't really understand how bad things can get, and how little recourse you actually have.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gas station was an extreme example .. what usually happens it the local road contractor buys a piece of property to park his equipment on for two years while he is re-doing the streets, or yoru neighbor decides to have his entire family move in with him, or decides to run an auto salvage yard on his 5 acres (go to SKinner and Spring Cypress, behind the Autozone to see that example)

If you live in a neighborhood, especially in a house that backs up to undeveloped property, or to a major street, you are asking for trouble if there isn't an HOA to protect your rights. There are no zoning laws to protect you, and probably never will be. If you have never had a pain in the *** neighbor, you don't really understand how bad things can get, and how little recourse you actually have.
I will say I have never lived next to "trash" (meaning garbage thrown on the lawn and stuff like so).. But I have had PITA neighbors, just being dicks about stuff for no reason.
I live in TN... Maybe things like that or more common in TX.... Well, of course they are with no zoning laws like here.

Any insight on why they don't implement some kind of zoning laws?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slash8915
So is it JUST trucks that they flip **** about, or is it certain vehicles?

I guess they hate trucks because it looks like construction is going on or something? Idk. I plan on having a C6 Z06 or a Viper by the time I buy a house, and I'll park it in the garage, but If I want to park it in my driveway, I better damn well be able to. It just pisses me off that they told this guy he can't park his nice truck in his own driveway. I could understand if it was an '85 toyota or something, but his truck is pretty expensive.
it all depends on the HOA. My mom's house they can't park on the street from 2-6am, my HOA I Can't park on the driveway for longer then 3 days without moving the car, and your not supposed to park RV's on the street. Everyone is different and some are inforced some are not. I can park anything I want in my driveway, just can't let it stay in the same spot for 3 days. Just have to read the fine print and know your rights. They can suck. (i got a letter for a dead tree in my yard, it never grew in a brand new yard, but I still had to replace it)
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Man, that guy's house is gorgeous...

His Homeowners association is **** for pulling a stunt like that. Why would he not be allowed to park his car in front of his house? Grant it, his truck isn't a ferrari or anything, but it certainly isn't a broken down piece of crap. I'll tell you what... If they get their panties in a bunch over a truck being parked in a driveway, they would absolutely HATE some of us...
No kidding. A bitchy HOA would immediately prompt me to slap the biggest cam in my car and mount true-duals with electric cutouts at the headers, just to **** them off.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Launching!

lol yea i guess they finally made him put a fence around them, have you noticed farther down skinner toward huffmeister on the same side of the road theres a big *** sail boat on a lot next to these peoples house, and its not a nice boat its an old decrepid 40 foot ******* sail boat, i keep wondering how long it will take for it to fall off those homemade wooden boat stands. on the other side of the street theres a guy that parks his old restored war plane next to the road on the weekend, i think thats pretty cool those pople have a runway behind there house plus everyone over there owns some type of plane.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

HOA and the people that run it can go to ******* hell.

My ex and I bought a condo in a really nice complex a few years ago. We didn't like the light fixture outside of our front door since it looked retro 70's and changed it with a pretty nice fixture from Home Depot. Within two weeks, we already had a complaint from the HOA with a note telling us we had to change it back. They said it had to be the same as everyone elses. It was such ******* bullshit.

I have a 1985 Toyota 4x4 truck that I parked out on the road adjacent to my condo complex. It was the oldest vehicle on the road, but that didn't matter. I drove it every other day. All the other cars out there were BMW's, Lexus' and such. One day I come home and it is gone. I thought for sure it was stolen. But someone had called the HOA and had it towed by the city. I had to pay $300 to get it back. And it was parked out there for less than 24 hours.

HOA can go to HELL!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn, that's about stupid. That was a good looking truck IMO.

Quick Reply: man sued for parkin his own truck in his own driveway