Just graduated, looking for work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just graduated, looking for work.

Just graduated from high school and looking for a job. Looking long-term only. I am very mechanically inclined and strive to be best at everything I do. Looking to start out entry level in the power/oil/gas industry preferably chemical/power plants and climb the company ladder through my hard work. (Process Operator/Maintenance etc.. anything in a plant) Don’t mind hard work, shift work, rotating shift or overtime one bit.

My previous work experience:

-September 08’ to September 09’.. (Randall’s Grocery Store) as a “courtesy clerk”(sacker) haha

-October 09’ to present.. (Classic Chevrolet) as an apprentice technician out in the shop.

I also have reliable transportation with my class C license, as well as a (TWIC) card. Very computor savvy with most programs. I am located in southwest Houston (sugarland/Stafford) but looking for anywhere in the Houston area!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton guys. Feel free to pm!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Strong advice to you, if you are able to go to college I would do that. These days companies are looking for nothing less then a college degree even for entry level position.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with above. Go to college. I am 29 and went back to school. It's much harder now.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ProStreet_632
Strong advice to you, if you are able to go to college I would do that. These days companies are looking for nothing less then a college degree even for entry level position.
Yes I understand that fact, but i also know several companies who prefer zero college so they can form one into what they prefer, and not have to backtrack college through internal training from the company. One of the things, "Its not what you know, but who you know." Although if the opportunity doesn't present iteslf soon I will be enrolling at San Jacinto for their process technology course.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

It still doesn't hurt to go to college. My advice would be start college and work where ever you can..."It's not what you know, but who you know"...like in Step Brothers right!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why don't you do both. Do your basics at the local JuCo and go to work during the day.

An applied degree with a great background of work = a TON of potential.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Agree with above. Go to college. I am 29 and went back to school. It's much harder now.
Dude, I can't wait for next May. I'm tired of school. Haha.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

The world with tell you to go to college, but I'll give you a different opinion.

Debt and interest are the enemy. Do anything that avoids going into debt or pay high interest rates. Go to college if you can afford it without students loans. If not, then get a job in the oil/gas industry.

Just keep in mind the unemployment is hovering around 10% and **** is not getting better as it may seem. Thankfully we live in Texas with the energy industry. I'm 23 and I wish I knew how the world worked when I was younger. I'm still learning everyday.

PM me if you wanna chat.

Last edited by texas94z; 07-10-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

www.Rigzone.com - apply for any position that seems entry level. There is a need for field techs and labor all over the world. As young as you are, it might be fun to go check out other parts of the world and get paid well. Deck hands, riggers, roustabout, etc... to get your foot in the door. The hard workers with some intelligence move up quickly in the offshore industry.

Also apply at all the large construction and services companies in the Houston area. Pipefitter helpers, etc.. I put myself through college working as a helper, structural welder, and pipefitter. When I graduated I had no college loans to pay off.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
www.Rigzone.com - apply for any position that seems entry level. There is a need for field techs and labor all over the world. As young as you are, it might be fun to go check out other parts of the world and get paid well. Deck hands, riggers, roustabout, etc... to get your foot in the door. The hard workers with some intelligence move up quickly in the offshore industry.

Also apply at all the large construction and services companies in the Houston area. Pipefitter helpers, etc.. I put myself through college working as a helper, structural welder, and pipefitter. When I graduated I had no college loans to pay off.
Great advice from Tony, he knows 1st hand how to get it done.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Go to college and avoid reality as long as you can.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WE485
Go to college and avoid reality as long as you can.
Best advice!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to College and worked at the same time, I started out doing lab work but stuck with it, when I graduated it lead to a career where I came out of school making 2X what some of my friends I went to school were making. Knock your basics out at a junior college and transfer to U of H, the greatest things about that school is, it's set up where you can receive a Tier 1 education but flexible enough to where you can work at the same time. Being in Houston you got a lot of great companies to choose from, you can really put the foundation for a career in before you get your diploma, giving you an advantage over a lot of folks. Also, UPS has a facility in Stafford, I have a few friends who worked for UPS and FEDEX while in school, not a bad way to go.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

My opinion if u dont mind..... look into the military. Garanteed checks....100 percent medical and dental. Great benifits... and will cover 100 percent college the whole time ur in. Ive been in the Marines since March 04 and no compllaints. Bout to reenlist soon. If u got questions feel free to ask
Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gotcam?
My opinion if u dont mind..... look into the military. Garanteed checks....100 percent medical and dental. Great benifits... and will cover 100 percent college the whole time ur in. Ive been in the Marines since March 04 and no compllaints. Bout to reenlist soon. If u got questions feel free to ask
Good advice, a lot of folks waste the opportunities they get in the Military, but if you use it as a tool to build your future, learn a job skills that you can translate in to the civilian world while getting a degree when you get out, you can do pretty well for yourself.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Military

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Good advice, a lot of folks waste the opportunities they get in the Military, but if you use it as a tool to build your future, learn a job skills that you can translate in to the civilian world while getting a degree when you get out, you can do pretty well for yourself.
Thats right!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

I cheated my way into my high school diploma when I was 16. Im 20 now but alot smarter lol. I deff regret doing that and wish I would have started college when I got my diploma I could have been finished by now. Im working in the plants right now as a welder/fitter/safety. Saving money to go to college and be a process operator.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp483
Yes I understand that fact, but i also know several companies who prefer zero college so they can form one into what they prefer, and not have to backtrack college through internal training from the company. One of the things, "Its not what you know, but who you know." Although if the opportunity doesn't present iteslf soon I will be enrolling at San Jacinto for their process technology course.
No offense but I highly doubt that, degree is always going to help you where ever you go!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Let me put it in a simple phrase to sum up the college vs no college discussion.

"You will always hear from many people that they regret not getting a degree. You will never hear someone with a degree regret getting one."

A degree doesn't make you smarter, nor does it make you better at your job. A degree makes the playing field uneven for your competitors that are seeking the same position that you are, but don't have a degree. I've met many guys that worked their way up in a company or industry, but finally hit that glass ceiling that required them to get a degree to continue moving up. My lab partner in college was in his mid 50's.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Go to school for Ptec. I'm 25. Worked in the plant as a boilermakers for 3 years and decided to go back to school because chasing turnarounds wasn't the life I wanted. I'm taking my last class as we speak and I'm done in 5 weeks. may continue on to chemical or mechanical engineering at U of H if the money is worth it.

Quick Reply: Just graduated, looking for work.