Car is acting up

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car is acting up

It's had an intermittent highway-speed hesitation/revving issue for a while, but it started really acting up this past weekend and just now after work.

In first, it doesn't want to shift gears at the usual RPM. When I was driving in my neighborhood going home, it revved maybe 500-1000 RPM higher than usual. Sometimes on the highway, it seems like the torque converter will disengage, the RPMs will climb because there's no load, and the car barely accelerates or doesn't accelerate. It's very strange.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Slipping transmission? Or faulty torque converter? Let's see what others think..
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Y2K T.A.R.A.
Slipping transmission? Or faulty torque converter? Let's see what others think..
A buddy initially thought something might be making the torque converter disengage. I think he's right or it's a faulty torque converter.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

I would say torque converter also, something similar happened to me with a truck I used to have
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

could be a few things like torque converter or something completely different is it throwing any codes what side of town you on I could probably hook it up to my scan tool and do a data stream on it and see what its doing!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

I towed it to a shop Friday night because it wouldn't shift out of first. They looked at it Saturday morning, but it shifted fine when the guy drove it around. He pulled all the codes in the system. One was a bad ECU from the ABS system, and I think the other was a bad speed sensor. I tried to take it home, but it stopped shifting and the speedometer stopped working. My dad and I replaced the speed sensor, but it still wouldn't shift out of first and the speedometer still doesn't work. So, I towed it back to the shop.

I should start looking for a good, used PCM, but I'm not sure how to make sure I get a compatible one.