WTH? two thermostats and still getting hot at idle. hELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTH? two thermostats and still getting hot at idle. hELP PLEASE!

So I installed a hypertech 180 and that was not opening till 200*+ . But it didnt even open on my engine. I had to boil it to get it to open. So then today I installed a 160* in it. this time I put it in a pot and cranked up the stove to make sure it worked before installing it. It opened up right away so I went ahead and installed it. So I fill up the rad and start it up and let it idle. I wait and wait for the water to go down indicating that it opened. well, it never goes down so I look at the autometer gauge and its at 230*!!!!! WTF?!?!?!
what the hell is going on? why are they not opening when they are in the car? install is about as straight forward as it gets but could I really have done something wrong?engine is an 02 5.3 and radiator is from an LS car. I also have the heater bypassed with the U shaped hose.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

how is the coolant cross over tube hooked up?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

burping before starting it? may have a nasty air bubble stuck in it.
this thing is also must have to finish the job right...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Im still using the truck one but its hooked up to the lower port by the radiator cap.

I talked to a friend and he said its cause its not getting water to the pump side of the thermostat because of air being trapped in there.
After I shut off the engine I had put the radiator cap back on and it created vaccum which caused the hoses to collapse. when I took the rad cap off the engine sucked all the water from the radiator into the block. I added some more water to the rad and turned it on again. this time i could see a bit of flow through the radiator and then it started to overflow. He said the overflowing is due to the ait trying to get out. I think hes right. Once it stops overflowing then i can add a bit of water untill it reaches the right level and all the air has circulated out.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

sergo, wth is that and where do I get it? Im prolly going to need it later on. and how do you burp it?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM
9 Second Club

there are 2 ports below the cap. the one directly under it is for the coolant over flow the second one below the cap is where it needs to be.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

The way I bleed the system is remove the crossover tube on the passenger head and add water until water comes out of the crossover hole. When you start the car you should be able to see water flowing in the radiator from the hose going to thecross over
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

air in the system
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

yup. it had some serious air in it. I tried and tried and nothing seemed to cure it. So I took the upper hose off and I shoved the water hose into the rad fill cap till it came out of the upper hose. Then right away I put it in the water pump inlet(non t-stat side) and waited and waited till it finally came out of the steam port. I then quickly installed the hose back on and started up the car before the water all drained out. Right away the water started to flow like it should and coming out of the steam port and flowing through the radiator. Temp stayed at 165* idling. Thanks for all the input guys....this was really pissin me off....