Friendly inspection in dallas area

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Friendly inspection in dallas area

I have a 99 trans am with no cats and it hasn't been tuned yet so my check engine light is still on. Any places in DFW that could help me out with a sticker?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Teching In

pm me of course.. don't post any names or places in this thread.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get it tuned
Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most places wont worry about cats but you have to get your check engine light off.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How long does it take for the service light to come back on when you pull fuses to the PCM? I did that once years ago with the LT1, took a few miles for it to come back. Not sure if it will work for you
Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Yea previously they haven't looked under my car during an inspection so I'm not that worried about not having cars. It's just the check engine light. i'll see how many miles it takes to come back on. Maybe that'll work. The thing is, since my last inspection I now have longtubes and td's that dump before the rear axle. So I'm hoping that the fact that I don't have exhaust coming out the back, doesn't give them a reason to look underneath.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd go to a small avenue type tire shop that does state inpections. Pull the fuses around the corner and drive it in. I'm sure when they connect the computer that interfaces directly with DMV the codes will show, but at least there won't be a red service light lit up on the dash. Worth a try, they probably won't look under car. I took my car to Goodyear service once for inspection and they put it up, and freakin nit picked everything and gave me a $1500 ball park quote to "return" emissions to stock. WTF??? Then the shop manager/owner lectured me about high performance parts, tune, and made it sound like he was doing me a favor!?! I thought I was back in CA! Was a mistake I made once, now take it to a shop that has no hidden agendas, no tree hugger activists, just good solid people that check the necessities and safety of a car and pass it if all clear.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

just pay a shop $50 to delete your codes if you can't afford a full tune... most places will ignore the cats but there isn't anything they can do about your ses light except plug the dlc into another car and that is just asking for trouble... once they submit your inspection it sends all the info from the car they plugged in and the info entered for your car will not match which will set a red flag to the dps and more than likely a trooper will come looking for the inspector and possibly you too once they find out extra money was exchanged... I've seen it happen to a couple of old coworkers of mine and just isn't worth it in my opinion... and I don't think resetting your pcm will work either, I would bet money the ses light will come back on before your readiness monitors set
Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get the codes shut off you will want to drive it for a bit before you get it inspected. It will take some miles of just driving around to clear them out completely. Yes, even after they are shut off it will still show up if you go directly to get inspected. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Ok well I'm gonna get it tuned (mailorder by frost) while I'm out of town for ten days.. However my exhaust system is true duals and dumped right before the axle. Do you guys think that'll give an inspection guy a reason to look under my car? There's an old shop pretty close to me and it was some young kid that did my inspection last time. I had a different exhaust set up then and it appeared stock.. No check engine light and it DID have cats. But I don't think he looked under my car.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

most of the time they won't even look but it really depends on the inspector and your attitude... if you **** those guys off they will stick the books to you lol

Quick Reply: Friendly inspection in dallas area