Moving to Houston

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Houston

As the title says ill be moving to the Houston area in january. Cypress to be specific. Had a couple questions for the folks that live around there. How is the job search down there? My friend that ill be living with told me there are tons of jobs down there. Im trying to get into law enforcement. Corrections or police work. Second, how strict are vehicle inspections down there? Im coming from michigan and we have 0 inspection here. I have a couple emission items removed from my 95' firebird. Egr, air. I guess a 3rd question. For those of you there, how do you like living there?
Old 10-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Teching In

I hate Houston. My wife and I have work here so I live with it. I'm in Cypress as well and I try to stay in it as much as possible.(Even though it's basically NW Houston.) Can't really comment on the job market aspect of things, but as far as inspections go, your car will have to be put on rollers and have the tailpipe plugged for inspections. I'm sure you can search here on the forums for a "friendly inspection" shop, although fines and punishment laws are getting worse so it's not as easy as it used to be.

Good luck and welcome to Cypress
Old 10-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I havent left yet. Wont be until january. Im kind of tying up loose ends here before i leave. I got laid off here and im feeling like a change. No kids or responsibilities to keep me here so i figure why not give it a whirl. Its gonna be a hell of a change for sure. I currently live in a tiny town. Going to a city like houston is gonna be a change for sure.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OBD1 stickers are getting tougher and tougher to get. The big thing is there's so few OBD1 cars left there aren't many places left with the dynos that can get you the hook up. Most new places that open don't buy the dyno machines. The places that due their machines are perpetually broken.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Theres no way around it for a car that old? I also have an 04 malibu. I guess when i leave ill be driving that instead. Be a lot easier to get set up down there with a much easier to register car i suppose. Figure out my firebird later on.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Teching In

I believe the cut off is a 96. Newer they will put the computer on it any older it goes on the rollers. Or you make friends with people that live out of the county and register car there. I live in liberty county and no emision testing is done. We go in check lights, horn and drive it then get a sticker.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Wonder what the legality is of just leaving the car registered in michigan until the renewal which is next fall.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Houston has a bad rep- yes it is hot and humid. Just accept the fact you will be inside June, July and August.

But, the job market is good, houses and cost of living are cheap. You get to drive your fun cars year round if you want. 9 months of great weather and three months of hell.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Ya im really looking forward to it. I come from a really small town. Its gonna be an adjustment for sure. My graduating class was 33 people. If that gives you an idea of where im from lol.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Teching In

im also moving to houston. and was wondering if anyone could point me in some sort of direction in apartments. i will be going to sam racing so are there any decent places around there
Old 10-08-2014, 06:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Houston is awesome. All That hate it are welcome to pack their **** and leave. The less their are of you on 290 in the morning the better. On a side note Welcome to cypress, it's one of the nicer parts of houston for sure.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1965GP
Houston has a bad rep- yes it is hot and humid. Just accept the fact you will be inside June, July and August.

But, the job market is good, houses and cost of living are cheap. You get to drive your fun cars year round if you want. 9 months of great weather and three months of hell.
Come on. The summer is hardly hell. In fact, I don't find it much different than the midwest as far as comfort goes. We have about 1 week of winter a year. Overall, I find Houston's weather terrific and chuckle any time I hear someone complain about it; most commonly I find it's coming from people that haven't lived anywhere else.

Job market is excellent. Top notch restaurants. Close driving distance to the ocean. Short drives to Dallas, New Orleans, Austin, etc.

My only caveats about Houston are the cost of living inside the 610 loop and cockroaches. If you're moving here, make sure to grab a can of boric acid.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Come on. The summer is hardly hell. In fact, I don't find it much different than the midwest as far as comfort goes. We have about 1 week of winter a year. Overall, I find Houston's weather terrific and chuckle any time I hear someone complain about it; most commonly I find it's coming from people that haven't lived anywhere else.

Job market is excellent. Top notch restaurants. Close driving distance to the ocean. Short drives to Dallas, New Orleans, Austin, etc.

My only caveats about Houston are the cost of living inside the 610 loop and cockroaches. If you're moving here, make sure to grab a can of boric acid.
I have lived in michigan pretty much my whole life. I am miserable when the temps drop below 40-50 degrees so im sure ill enjoy the climate. Im just a bit nervous going down without a job lined up but my friend down there has her own house ill be staying in so not worried about housing.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by oscs
Houston is awesome. All That hate it are welcome to pack their **** and leave. The less their are of you on 290 in the morning the better. On a side note Welcome to cypress, it's one of the nicer parts of houston for sure.
One way to beat the 290 traffic is get on the road no later than 5:30 am. That is what I had to do. I'm not a morning person either. But the difference is night and day, literaly. I was running late the other day, didn't get on 290 until 8:00am or so, took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to work. It is brutal.

There is good and bad about Houston. But overall people live here to work. The job market is awesome. People are moving here to get work.

Personally, I love the restaurants here, best in the world imo. The traffic and humidity suck. But career wise it has been the best thing I've ever done to move here.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by htownws6
One way to beat the 290 traffic is get on the road no later than 5:30 am. That is what I had to do. I'm not a morning person either. But the difference is night and day, literaly. I was running late the other day, didn't get on 290 until 8:00am or so, took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to work. It is brutal. There is good and bad about Houston. But overall people live here to work. The job market is awesome. People are moving here to get work. Personally, I love the restaurants here, best in the world imo. The traffic and humidity suck. But career wise it has been the best thing I've ever done to move here.
Yeah I've lived in the cypress area long enough to know when the **** hits the fan. Problem is that it's getting worse every year. More and more people are moving to houston (cypress) in particular. The rest of this country is in shambles while we pull all the weight.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would love to move to Houston, well Katy area. You could do so much overthere and the racing scene is the ****!
Old 10-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It gets hot- but you won't hear me complain about living here. I am usually tired of the heat and humidity by September but then we get days like today- worked outside all day.

Job market and cost of living are reason enough to live here.

Quick Reply: Moving to Houston