Traveling with firearm

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blah even if texas goes back to open carry ill still conceal mine if possible. Ive had my CHL for 5 years now and would not like everyone around me to know im armed. To me that would just make you target #1 in a bad situation. Either way...

OP. Keep the gun in your car in an easily to grab place. Do your best to be parked in a good spot, meet in a public place and dont venture to far away from your car. Take a buddy with you leave him in your car.

Next to that your best bet when you get to dallas and call the guy for a specific place tell him "havent had time to get the money yet, ill go get it after looking at the car"

That should give you some insight on safety.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hb 195 is currently being discussed. It is a bill for "constitutional carry" in texas, if it goes through the house Greg abbot has already said he will sign it. It will trump all and says that anyone who is legal to own can carry however they like. No chl required, open carry or concealed, long gun or pistol it's up to you. It just goes off the fact that we have a constitutional right to carry without got oversight.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

We can open carry long guns. But you might find some disagreeable CHL carriers.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said it is perfectly legal to carry concealed in your vehicle. That said the local jurisdictions don't always know what the definition of traveling is. You can be harassed for carrying if you have a uneducated officer stop you. Always reveal that you are carrying to the officer immediately if you are stopped. As far as the law goes, leaving one place to go to another is traveling.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ppp
Castle Doctrine....
Doesn't apply and isn't needed.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Traveling with firearm-forumrunner_20150124_150231.jpg

Castle doc does matter a bit. As the car is extention of a mans castle.

Id also read texas parking lot laws.

Last edited by 99Wu8Tx; 01-24-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Talk to the person before Hand on the phone and try to find out what kind of character you are dealing with.. DON'T text the meet up, I profile people and have passed up on many deals due to shady activity. DONT Meet at thier house. Meet in a public place and arrive well before they do.. Dont let them you know you got cash on you.. Bring a friend not your wife and kids and carry concealed. If someone wants your money that bad give it to them with a piece of lead to follow.. LOL!! Just kidding... No one's life is worth a couple of dollars, a gun in your car would do you no good... Just leave it home if that's were you plan to store it on your trip
Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Wu8Tx
Attachment 485448

Correct. The car is seen as an extension of your castle.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Attachment 485448

Castle doctrine doesn't mean anything. The carry law has been on the books way longer. This is how it was taught to me in my self defense and chl classes.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M-Z28
Talk to the person before Hand on the phone and try to find out what kind of character you are dealing with.. DON'T text the meet up, I profile people and have passed up on many deals due to shady activity. DONT Meet at thier house. Meet in a public place and arrive well before they do.. Dont let them you know you got cash on you.. Bring a friend not your wife and kids and carry concealed. If someone wants your money that bad give it to them with a piece of lead to follow.. LOL!! Just kidding... No one's life is worth a couple of dollars, a gun in your car would do you no good... Just leave it home if that's were you plan to store it on your trip
This is good advice. Always remember if You draw and use Your firearm even if not charged with a crime ie self defense you can still be sued in a civil court. So unless your life is at stake you should have no reason to shoot someone, it's only money.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not a whole lot of good your gun is gonna do in your glove box when youre looking at a car. chances are you are gonna get in huge trouble if you are able to make it back to your car and get your weapon, and somehow not be able to escape. I usually keep a weapon in my glove box when i travel just in case. But i carry everyday.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whatever you do, get it all on video if you can. That's all I know...but yeah concealed carry in tx in YOUR own vehicle is legal.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HISS

Castle doctrine doesn't mean anything. The carry law has been on the books way longer. This is how it was taught to me in my self defense and chl classes.
Castle doctorine doesnt techically exist here in texas. So i agree with you. But all of the laws we've grouped together and call castle doctorine do exist. The carry laws you mention may or may not be the exact laws im speaking about. This is basically how people on the gun forums look at it. I figure they have a good grasp on if.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/t...und-101-a.html

Basically what we call castle doctorine, even if theyre not called castle doctorine, outlines when you are able to use a firearm.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to fill everyone in (I'm the original posted)

Firearm was not needed lol. Guy was very nice, had a little boy out with him when I pulled up - so I was confident he would not rob me at that point.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Castle doctorine doesnt techically exist here in texas. So i agree with you. But all of the laws we've grouped together and call castle doctorine do exist. The carry laws you mention may or may not be the exact laws im speaking about. This is basically how people on the gun forums look at it. I figure they have a good grasp on if.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/t...und-101-a.html

Basically what we call castle doctorine, even if theyre not called castle doctorine, outlines when you are able to use a firearm.
Yea I was misinformed originally about the castle doctrine myself. I didn't learn the correct law/defense until after I completed my chl/self defense training. Good read.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
Just to fill everyone in (I'm the original posted)

Firearm was not needed lol. Guy was very nice, had a little boy out with him when I pulled up - so I was confident he would not rob me at that point.
Good deal! Glad to hear.

Quick Reply: Traveling with firearm