Need arecommendation on a machine shop in Austin, or Katy.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need arecommendation on a machine shop in Austin, or Katy.

I'm relatively new to the area, and don't really know where to go for my machine work. I need to have my block bored, honed, line bored, rod bolts, resize rods, ect... I'm a little closer to Austin, but I could drive to Katy if there is a better shop there.

I did a search, but I may not have used the correct terms. Can you guys tell me who/what shop you would use?

Thanks!!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

La grange is your current location, right?

isnt Erik Koenig/HK Enterprises out in La Grange now? i thought i heard somewhere that he was moving out there.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Teching In

I haven't met him yet. I did hear from a friend there was a guy down by the K.C. Hall that built LSx motors. He didn't know his name.

I drove by where I thought he may have his shop. If I am right, it's a pretty decent sized shop.

Is he a member here on this site?

I found this link.
http://www.hkracingengines.com/packages_ls1.php

It would be awesome to have a shop like that in my neck of the woods!!

Last edited by AeroSS; 02-03-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added link.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AeroSS
I haven't met him yet. I did hear from a friend there was a guy down by the K.C. Hall that built LSx motors. He didn't know his name.

I drove by where I thought he may have his shop. If I am right, it's a pretty decent sized shop.

Is he a member here on this site?
Yes, he is a member on this site many many others. racer7088 is his handle. I bought some pistons from him but I hear that he is VERY difficult to get a hold of so if you can talk to him face to face at his shop, I would do that rather than call or email.

I also hear he is the best of the best of the best, so keep that with you. Depending on your turn around time and budget, you may want to seek other solutions. I've had an engine done by LateModelEngines.com in Houston, they do great work and I would put them in the same boat as Erik, so again, depending on your time frame and budget, they may not be the answer.

I've also had some work done by glennsmachine.com in Round Rock, but it was a very minor task.

Is the Waco area too far for you? The engine that I plan on starting tonight was built by Mike Barnard @ Performance Automotive Machine in Axtell, TX.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years (which I am sure they have), I would head towards Houston over Austin, but that is just me.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Teching In

I hear Texas Speed in Georgetown is pretty good
Old 02-03-2015, 04:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Erik is the best IMO.. He tough Brian from LME at SAM so that speaks volumes in my book. If your in La Grange go see him face to face. You'll never get him on the phone or email. You would probably pass by his shop 100 times and never know it was there so keep your eyes peeled. If you have something that is simple and doesn't require him running to Houston (parts or head work) than he can knock your stuff out relatively quick. If your having a hard time reaching him shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:52 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pb Foot
I hear Texas Speed in Georgetown is pretty good
I wonder if TSP is still buying the defect blocks for cheap and fixing them up..
Old 02-03-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oscs
I wonder if TSP is still buying the defect blocks for cheap and fixing them up..
can you go into more detail?

from a customer perspective, is one able to tell if a block is a defect block? is there a mark or something?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oscs
Erik is the best IMO.. He tough Brian from LME at SAM so that speaks volumes in my book. If your in La Grange go see him face to face. You'll never get him on the phone or email. You would probably pass by his shop 100 times and never know it was there so keep your eyes peeled. If you have something that is simple and doesn't require him running to Houston (parts or head work) than he can knock your stuff out relatively quick. If your having a hard time reaching him shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch.
Patrick G sent me a PM with his shop address. It was the building I though it was. Erik wasn't there, so I'll try to catch him this weekend or something. I was by there a week or so ago wondering if that place had been bought or rented, and saw a tan S10 there. Maybe that was his truck..........

I just need the block worked, rod bolts and new pistons installed. The heads should be finished this week or next. The guy working on them is a really good machinist and highly recommended. His only advertisement is by word or mouth, but he is so covered up it takes 3 months to get a set of heads done. Plus he can't line bore yet in his shop, and he is a bit or a drive up 77 North. I'm using ARP main studs in this block, so a line hone will be needed likely..............

Thank you all again for the info. What are the odds of a new guy joining a forum from a small town and finding out that there is a top machinist living in his town!!??

Scott
Old 02-04-2015, 07:27 AM
8 Second Club

Patrick G sent me a PM with his shop address. It was the building I though it was. Erik wasn't there, so I'll try to catch him this weekend or something. I was by there a week or so ago wondering if that place had been bought or rented, and saw a tan S10 there. Maybe that was his truck..........

I just need the block worked, rod bolts and new pistons installed. The heads should be finished this week or next. The guy working on them is a really good machinist and highly recommended. His only advertisement is by word or mouth, but he is so covered up it takes 3 months to get a set of heads done. Plus he can't line bore yet in his shop, and he is a bit or a drive up 77 North. I'm using ARP main studs in this block, so a line hone will be needed likely..............

Thank you all again for the info. What are the odds of a new guy joining a forum from a small town and finding out that there is a top machinist living in his town!!??

Scott
Yes that is his truck and yes you are a lucky SOB to have him close to you.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Teching In

On my way out to grab a bite I happened by Erik's shop, and he was there. I introduced myself, and told him how I had heard of him. He is a really nice guy, and we ended up talking for an hour.......and his shop. Damn I thought I'd died and went to LS heaven!!! I saw a vision too! All of my money going across town to his shop!!!

He isn't completely moved in yet, and has a few things still in Houston. He told me to bring my block, crank, and rods by on Friday.

I hope I can return the favor to you guys, the beer is on me some day. Because driving 4 minutes from my house to his shop is great!! This is a kick *** forum and you guys really helped me out!!!!

Thanks again!!!
Scott
Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 PM
8 Second Club

On my way out to grab a bite I happened by Erik's shop, and he was there. I introduced myself, and told him how I had heard of him. He is a really nice guy, and we ended up talking for an hour.......and his shop. Damn I thought I'd died and went to LS heaven!!! I saw a vision too! All of my money going across town to his shop!!! He isn't completely moved in yet, and has a few things still in Houston. He told me to bring my block, crank, and rods by on Friday. I hope I can return the favor to you guys, the beer is on me some day. Because driving 4 minutes from my house to his shop is great!! This is a kick *** forum and you guys really helped me out!!!! Thanks again!!! Scott
That's badass man I'm glad you got hooked up. Be patient and in the end you will have a very very very well built motor.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Erik does great great work, but he also can overload himself, and doesn't get things done in a timely manner sometime. You may have to follow up with him on it a little, which if you're in La Grange won't be a big deal.

With that being said, his work is second to none. There's a reason he takes forever and people (myself included) keep going back to him. There isn't an engine shop in Houston that has a good reputation that isn't a student of Erik.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:11 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
Erik does great great work, but he also can overload himself, and doesn't get things done in a timely manner sometime. You may have to follow up with him on it a little, which if you're in La Grange won't be a big deal. With that being said, his work is second to none. There's a reason he takes forever and people (myself included) keep going back to him. There isn't an engine shop in Houston that has a good reputation that isn't a student of Erik.
100% agreed
Old 02-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Teching In

There are fewer top notch folks doing these jobs now. It seems that anymore, real skill set or craftsman type of work has a long wait. I guess that's just how things are. I'm good with it given Erik's reputation. I saw some impressive builds in there last night.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 PM
8 Second Club

There are fewer top notch folks doing these jobs now. It seems that anymore, real skill set or craftsman type of work has a long wait. I guess that's just how things are. I'm good with it given Erik's reputation. I saw some impressive builds in there last night.
The man has A LOT of cool **** in that place
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Teching In

One of the blocks he was showing me was out of a 280 like yours. It was an early 70's. It belonged to another guy that was there. Allen or Arnold I think. He does the vintage racing thing. He wants me to paint it white for him too. Do you know him by chance?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:10 AM
8 Second Club

One of the blocks he was showing me was out of a 280 like yours. It was an early 70's. It belonged to another guy that was there. Allen or Arnold I think. He does the vintage racing thing. He wants me to paint it white for him too. Do you know him by chance?

Kind of a big goofy looking guy? I don't know him personally but I've had a few conversations with him.

Quick Reply: Need arecommendation on a machine shop in Austin, or Katy.