New to DFW...not sure what to do with my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to DFW...not sure what to do with my car

I moved to DFW last month from Chicago and am not sure what to do with my car. I haven't seen too many 4th gens around (I'm in uptown). Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether its worth bring the car down here. The A/C doesn't work so I would need to have that fixed and it has no cats.

Any insight on whether I could pass inspection (its a 95 so OBD-I) in Dallas County with no cats? Illinois doesn't test OBD-I so it hasn't been an issue up there. I did a search, but it seems county dependent and I didn't see anything about no cats in Dallas County for a OBD-I car.

Thanks for the insight in advance. I figure I need to determine if I can pass inspection before I decide whether to transport it here or sell it up there.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long do you plan to be in Dallas? If its more than a year, I would say to bite the bullet, make the A/C repair and figure out what to do about cats and bring it down.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is your check engine light on?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to Texas
Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies and for the welcome(s). The car is OBD-1 so the check engine isn't an issue. I'm worried about the visual inspection and my concern is that it would have to be sniffer tested - its not a plug in test. Anyone have experience with OBD-1 and no cats?
Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

visual on stuff like cats usually isn't an issue here but it will have to pass the sniffer test... probably the only way it's going to pass without the cats is if it is done illegally or the machine is manipulated somehow... best bet would be to get some temporary cats, get the state done, and then take them out until next year... and get the a/c fixed for sure, I couldn't imagine driving a car down here without it
Old 08-07-2015, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BGImportkiller
I moved to DFW last month from Chicago and am not sure what to do with my car. I haven't seen too many 4th gens around (I'm in uptown). Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether its worth bring the car down here. The A/C doesn't work so I would need to have that fixed and it has no cats.

Any insight on whether I could pass inspection (its a 95 so OBD-I) in Dallas County with no cats? Illinois doesn't test OBD-I so it hasn't been an issue up there. I did a search, but it seems county dependent and I didn't see anything about no cats in Dallas County for a OBD-I car.

Thanks for the insight in advance. I figure I need to determine if I can pass inspection before I decide whether to transport it here or sell it up there.
I stopped reading after you said obd1, sell it and buy a ls1 fbody from down here that's never seen rust and bring that car back with you whenever you do go back to chicago
Old 09-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Teching In

tell the inspector it has full time traction control , then they wont run it on the dyno , and will do a 2 speed idle test which doesn't sniff for NOX
Old 09-08-2015, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Sell it and get something down here - not worth the time / effort of bringing it down and doing what would need to be done

Quick Reply: New to DFW...not sure what to do with my car