Looking for full/part time work

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:44 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The oil crisis certainly would be a factor in my opinion, but there is a little diversity here that some overlook. The medical field is also very large and the amount of money in that industry here is probably just as good if not better than the oil industry provides.

The thing is just making the leap. It's scary. However, I know of at least 4 paying jobs that would be there the day it opened.

Still trying to get my ducks in a row. I have zero income right now and do carry some debt. If I didn't have any debt to service every month my next career move would be a lot easier.

OSCS........I much appreciate the offer and after seeing how your car has come along, I'd love to have you come help out.

I haven't talked to him about it yet as he is very busy, but Madman is currently working as an employee at TRE. i know at heart the man wants to be in a position of doing his own thing and it could be something that could be worked out between him and I. Haven't talked to him in a few months but he did text me a week ago and said they are slammed with business over there.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thompson Motorsports in Nevada Texas is looking to hire.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS

U wouldn't believe how many 80,60 n th400 ive needed built for my shop.
Since I last spoke w u n need few more. Got a bunch of swaps n builds to do.
Never heard back tho.
Carlos, I apologize The last year has been... stressful to say the least. Been doing this whole Process Operator course and working a bullshit job. Combined with my Camaro motor blowing up and leaving me immobile for awhile, I fell behind with a lot of people. Saw my dad for the first time since April the other day and got an earful from him lol.

I'll give you a call later, catch up with you. Been awhile.

Originally Posted by Blown06
This might be going somewhere.

The thing that scares me the most though, is that while I may be able to survive a while during the establishment of a routine financial situation, the guys that are offering help will need to be paid. I wouldn't ask someone to come work for free (I don't think that would be fair), it would put additional financial strain on me to the point that it may be a difficult thing to do.

My wheels are turning though.
I don't know about other people in their specialties, but I work on a flat rate basis, not hourly. If I were to do hourly while doing transmissions, I wouldn't make jack **** and not bother in the first place. To me, flat rate is the best way because both sides can better budget and know exactly what they will make.

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
One thing I learned when I had my own business.

There is a good reason the people asking for you to open a business and give them a guaranteed paycheck are needing work. I've never met anyone that was a high caliber team member that networked on a forum.

Houston is flooded with shops, and most of the ones that have been open less than 2-3 years have some big money backer (mostly parents of one of the "owners") and eventually get tired of having to work or float things and go under, or get a new owner in 2-3 years.

I'm sure a bunch of people who haven't worked in the industry for 10+ years like I have will disagree.

Also it is about the worst time ever to open a business full of things nobody genuinely needs, in Houston, during the start of an energy recession.

People will always need to fly, that's about the most intelligent thing I've read this whole thread.
Bullshit. I'm a high caliber team member, but I'm not in the automotive industry anymore. I left a little over a year ago to go back to college. I'm simultaneously working towards an Associate's in Process Technology and a Bachelor's in Industrial Management with a specialty in Process Operations. After that I am looking towards a Mechanical Engineering degree.

Transmissions are a lot more fun on the side or as a hobby than a regular job. Less BS to deal with. I still do side jobs when I have time, it's decent money and often a fun deal. I've made some great friends that way. If there's an opportunity for some cash (I'm personally NOT looking for a guaranteed paycheck, I expect that from my day-job) on the side that benefits both me and the owner of a shop, why not?

Quick Reply: Looking for full/part time work