Looking for full/part time work

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:59 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Looking for full/part time work

My industry is pretty much preventing my business from doing anything at the moment and it doesn't look like it is turning around any time soon.

I need something to fill my days cause I'm going crazy just sitting here at the house not doing anything and not making any money.

I'm a blue collar guy at heart, so I have no issues with physical work. I'm a decent fabricator and can tig weld. Would like to work in a hot rod or custom motorcycle shop.

Any body have or know anyone looking for such a talent?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you located?
Old 01-19-2016, 08:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powerfab is hiring fabricators. I know that's drive for you though.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:59 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I'm in Pearland. About 15 minutes South of Houston.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:01 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Hell, I've been doing some side work for other members and would like to do more but I only have room to work on one car at a time. My truck is in the way at the moment and I've got 2 others wanting to get their car/truck over here for me to do a few things. I'm thinking about putting the truck back on the ground and putting it in storage if I could get a few more customers.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Hell, I've been doing some side work for other members and would like to do more but I only have room to work on one car at a time. My truck is in the way at the moment and I've got 2 others wanting to get their car/truck over here for me to do a few things. I'm thinking about putting the truck back on the ground and putting it in storage if I could get a few more customers.
Open up a shop in pearland and I'll go work for you.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Southwest is always hiring for Ramp here at Hobby. full time and part time.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:33 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
Open up a shop in pearland and I'll go work for you.
This is a serious question, as I have the means to open a shop and have been seriously considering it.

How much business do you think you could help bring in? Obviously I can't expect you to give me a dollar answer, but, maybe a round about figure of the number of semi-regular customers.

What skills do you have? Can you fabricate? How are your metal working skills? Can you mig/tig weld? Can you tune, if so, what platforms are you most familiar with? Do you have any automotive machining experience, if so, what operations and on what machines (brand and model number)?
Old 01-23-2016, 01:35 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I'm in G-Force's back yard so they would be the closed performance oriented shop. I have full faith in my potential to compete with them on a quality basis, but you get what you pay for.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:35 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
Southwest is always hiring for Ramp here at Hobby. full time and part time.
Damn, the air port. Didn't even think about that. Thanks and I will look into.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me know if you open up a shop, I started building 4L80Es for Jake's Performance when I was a teenager and helped co-found North Texas Converter, and tons of sidejobs since then, so I've gotten my hands dirty more than a few times Plus, think of the extra kickback and convenience of having transmissions done in-house haha.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:25 AM
8 Second Club

G-force is a joke
Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Let me know if you open up a shop, I started building 4L80Es for Jake's Performance when I was a teenager and helped co-found North Texas Converter, and tons of sidejobs since then, so I've gotten my hands dirty more than a few times Plus, think of the extra kickback and convenience of having transmissions done in-house haha.

U wouldn't believe how many 80,60 n th400 ive needed built for my shop.
Since I last spoke w u n need few more. Got a bunch of swaps n builds to do.
Never heard back tho.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:19 AM
8 Second Truck Club

This might be going somewhere.

The thing that scares me the most though, is that while I may be able to survive a while during the establishment of a routine financial situation, the guys that are offering help will need to be paid. I wouldn't ask someone to come work for free (I don't think that would be fair), it would put additional financial strain on me to the point that it may be a difficult thing to do.

My wheels are turning though.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race or performance shops are hard to make a good living with. My buddy owns Pro-Comp engineering in Austin and builds drag cars from street to full on Pro Mods. He works every evening and weekends, because he also owns an automotive shop where he makes his living during the day.

I have thought about doing it on the side myself in my spare time. Would love to build race cars for a living too. But it would be hard to support my family. Good luck if you try it.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I seen a guy start up a business and did all the work. When he was overload it he would ask some ppl he knew/good contacts to get the job done and they considered it sidework. So in a couple of nights a guy would come in rebuild some Trans for him for a flat rate. Another guy come in do another job etc. got some cash flow then he could hire a guy or two.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:15 PM
8 Second Club

Depending on when and where I'd come help you out on the weekends Travis.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Depending on when and where I'd come help you out on the weekends Travis.
That's what i am talking about. Someone will help/little side money to catch you up if you get slammed.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

One thing I learned when I had my own business.

There is a good reason the people asking for you to open a business and give them a guaranteed paycheck are needing work. I've never met anyone that was a high caliber team member that networked on a forum.

Houston is flooded with shops, and most of the ones that have been open less than 2-3 years have some big money backer (mostly parents of one of the "owners") and eventually get tired of having to work or float things and go under, or get a new owner in 2-3 years.

I'm sure a bunch of people who haven't worked in the industry for 10+ years like I have will disagree.

Also it is about the worst time ever to open a business full of things nobody genuinely needs, in Houston, during the start of an energy recession.

People will always need to fly, that's about the most intelligent thing I've read this whole thread.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
One thing I learned when I had my own business.

There is a good reason the people asking for you to open a business and give them a guaranteed paycheck are needing work. I've never met anyone that was a high caliber team member that networked on a forum.

Houston is flooded with shops, and most of the ones that have been open less than 2-3 years have some big money backer (mostly parents of one of the "owners") and eventually get tired of having to work or float things and go under, or get a new owner in 2-3 years.

I'm sure a bunch of people who haven't worked in the industry for 10+ years like I have will disagree.

Also it is about the worst time ever to open a business full of things nobody genuinely needs, in Houston, during the start of an energy recession.

People will always need to fly, that's about the most intelligent thing I've read this whole thread.
The man does have a point..

Quick Reply: Looking for full/part time work