For TEXAS LS1 owners - Headers while being emssions compliant.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For TEXAS LS1 owners - Headers while being emssions compliant.

Texas guys, im looking at getting headers for my 2002 TA. My issue is getting these and being emissions compliant at inspection time. I have been down this road before with my first TA. I had headers, no cats and it wasn't a big deal - but that was 14 years ago when I lived in a rural county that didn't require the emissions test of the state inspection. So, can this be done with hi-flo cats and a tune? If you know from your personal experience I would GREATLY appreciate your insight.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You shouldn't have a problem with high flow cats on there. They just check the computer.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Launching!

I have run a car with high flow cats and am currently running ARH long tubes and an off road y-pipe. Never had an inspection issue with either. My tune gives them the proper readings to pass it. No one has ever done a visual to see if the cats are there. I also deleted the air pump and egr. Never been an issue.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Headers and high flow cats are fine. If they actually do the inspection (which they do to mine), the headers have to have emissions hook-ups and all emissions stuff on them, cats have to be there (high flows will pass visual).

I have Kooks with emissions stuff and Kooks high-flow y-pipe, I pass every time in Harris County.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Seems everyone has the same result (im looking for). Thanks guys for your input.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't had cats on my fbodies in 10+ years. They don't even do a visual check. There are guys on here that can delete the rear o2's and you will pass

Back in the day I use to just walk into LG and buy 02 Sims for $80 whenever I put an off road y pipe on there. But of course those are illegal now and LG doesn't make anything for fbodies anymore
Old 04-04-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Yep ^^^ Go with no cats and a tune to disable the rear 02 sensors and it will pass, as long as they don't look for the cats. They never do.

Mine passed with no rear 02's, no cats, no egr, no air injection
Old 04-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Teching In

I recently bought the Texas Speed Headers & ORY Pipe to install on my stock 98 TA. I went to a few small "hot rod" shops in my area and all said they won't even touch it without cats. (they could be heavily fined if caught) Will installing a high flow cat on after the header be considered "legal"? or should i just find a shop that will install with out any cats?

Also the stock exhaust only has 1 cat. Would i need 2 with the headers?
Old 04-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Teching In

No cats and a proper tune and you will be fine to pass inspection
Old 04-07-2016, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Datfoolgoat
I recently bought the Texas Speed Headers & ORY Pipe to install on my stock 98 TA. I went to a few small "hot rod" shops in my area and all said they won't even touch it without cats. (they could be heavily fined if caught) Will installing a high flow cat on after the header be considered "legal"? or should i just find a shop that will install with out any cats?

Removing the cats violates state laws, so you won't find a shop that will do it for you. High flow will make it legal. Personally I run a high flow cat, a few HP at the wheels is not worth the hassle or potential fines that a pissed off cop might give me.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^ ×1000
Old 04-07-2016, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Stock exhaust has a cat on each side. You would need a catted y pipe if you want cats, it'll have two cats

Originally Posted by JC316
Removing the cats violates state laws, so you won't find a shop that will do it for you. High flow will make it legal. Personally I run a high flow cat, a few HP at the wheels is not worth the hassle or potential fines that a pissed off cop might give me.
Originally Posted by codyvette
^^^ ×1000
Where do you guys live that cops check for catalytic converters?????
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The EPA clean Air Act made it so the states had to enforce federal emissions laws. In regards to cats and long tubes, no long tube set up is technically legal because it moves the positions of the factory catalytic converter. With that said, if you have cats on it and the rear O2 sensors are present, they're aren't going to bother you. I have had them get under my C6 but they really couldn't tell, they could see the car still had rear O2s so they assumed it still had cats on it. The guy knew some thing was up, but as long as the car passed on the plug in, he really couldn't bother me about it or find a reason to fail it. Only California gets real technical on the enforcement, Texas is pretty lenient.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Right^^

These guys are way to paranoid. I've worked in shops for almost 20 years, I've been an inspector, I've had cars with no cats tuned out. Nobody looks, like said above if it passes when plugged in you're good to go. If somehow you get an inspector that actually looks for the converter (which I don't I have ever seen in all these years) just go down the road to the next guy. When the rear 02 sensors are turned off during a tune you will no longer get cat codes and the car will pass an inspection.

And cops checking for cats... Cmon now. That's severely reaching.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I'm not worried about the cops looking under my car just about passing emissions inspections. Will a universal 3"/3" high flow cat just slip on to the ORY or would it have to be welded on? 2 universal cats is much cheaper than a catted Y , but if it requires welding it might be the around the same price.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I'm not worried about the cops looking under my car just about passing emissions inspections. Will a universal 3"/3" high flow cat just slip on to the ORY or would it have to be welded on? 2 universal cats is much cheaper than a catted Y , but if it requires welding it might be the around the same price.
You don't need cats to pass, you only need a custom tune that turns off the rear 02 sensors.

If you insist on getting cats go ahead and pay the extra money for them. You'll be pissed when they fail 6 months later and you have a check engine light on and still can't pass. Having that exact problem with my wifes car right now. We bought it last year with new BBK catted X pipe and it lasted about 3 months. She got rear ended and the exhaust got bent so they replaced the cat back and the catted x pipe and here we are 7 months later with the check engine light back on again for bad converters. I didn't put them in, we bought the car that way, I've been through this too many times and know better. I've put other high flow cats on cars and seen them fail 6 months later. I have customers come in the shop all the time that went and got cheap converters at the muffler shop and they fail in a month or so. Factory converters last, all others don't last very long.

Tune them out and be done with it.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-10-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot man. I'll have to look around and find a good tuner in the area.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

00pooterSS is correct. They will fail a lot. Texas is lenient but you can still get in trouble if you **** off the wrong state trooper. Blabbing about it over the Internet inestaed of pm'ing or calling will be the death of that though. Most of us have been t this for years.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
00pooterSS is correct. They will fail a lot. Texas is lenient but you can still get in trouble if you **** off the wrong state trooper. Blabbing about it over the Internet inestaed of pm'ing or calling will be the death of that though. Most of us have been t this for years.

You can get a ticket for anything an officer wants to give you one for.

Again, 10+ years no cats.

But if you have to ask a shop to put on headers for you, and you drive a 15 year old car, man you need to sell it and get a car payment. It's time to get your hands dirty and man up and put your own headers on. It's literally step 1 in your rights to earning your man card; install headers on v8
Old 04-18-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
You can get a ticket for anything an officer wants to give you one for.

Again, 10+ years no cats.

But if you have to ask a shop to put on headers for you, and you drive a 15 year old car, man you need to sell it and get a car payment. It's time to get your hands dirty and man up and put your own headers on. It's literally step 1 in your rights to earning your man card; install headers on v8
LOL....correct

Quick Reply: For TEXAS LS1 owners - Headers while being emssions compliant.