Dontrelle to the Astros..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dontrelle to the Astros..

Its a rumor I read about on cnnsi.com. Could be nothing more than that, I was just wondering what you guys thought about it.

According to them, the Marlins would want Wandy Rodriguez and 3 minor leaguers, one of which would be Jason Hirsch who is suppose to be the future of the franchise.

Personally, I think they would be giving up too much, reminds me of the Randy Johnson deal a few years back where they gave up Freddy Garcia and Jose Guillen.

What do you guys think?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mlb/index.html - link for the article

Last edited by chadtx01; 07-05-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see Florida giving him up that cheap. He won 22 games last season (major league leader) for the Marlins, not the Yankees, not the Astros, not the As but the freakin Marlins. He's a top 10 pitcher in anyones book and so far he's played cheap.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think we gave up freddy garcia

but after reading who they want, i don't think so.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just saw it said they got the info from the austin american statesman, they always have wild rumors that are nothing more. i'd put it in the junk file
Old 07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

You think thats giving him up cheap?

They would be smart to take that deal. He's gonna be making upwards of 7 mil next year and the chances of him resigning with the Marlins is very slim. They never keep big named players. It's only a matter of time before he's wearing pinstripes.

But to give up Wandy Rodriguez, Jason Hirsch and two other minor leaguers is too much IMO.

He did win 22 games last season, but what has he done for the rest of his career? He always pitches big before the all star break and dwindles after. I wouldnt consider him a top 10 pitcher either. Above average, but not top 10.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white man
i think we gave up freddy garcia

but after reading who they want, i don't think so.
haha, ya, my bad. Isnt Freddy Sanchez a SS for the pirates? Pulled that one out of my ***.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chadtx01
You think thats giving him up cheap?

They would be smart to take that deal. He's gonna be making upwards of 7 mil next year and the chances of him resigning with the Marlins is very slim. They never keep big named players. It's only a matter of time before he's wearing pinstripes.

But to give up Wandy Rodriguez, Jason Hirsch and two other minor leaguers is too much IMO.

He did win 22 games last season, but what has he done for the rest of his career? He always pitches big before the all star break and dwindles after. I wouldnt consider him a top 10 pitcher either. Above average, but not top 10.
no way i'd give up Wandy, Charleton Jimerson, Hunter Pence & Jason Hirsch. it's not so much wandy as the other three, i'd say atleast 2 will be outstanding pros. but i don't work for the Astros i don't know what they think.

we've already lost Jose Guillin, Freddy Garcia, Bobby Aberu, Johan Santana and few others i can't think of.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I dunno, I like D-Train, but how much longer can we keep giving up prospects to win "now"? I know this is (probably) the last year Clemens comes riding out of the west on a white horse to save the pitching rotation, but facts are facts. Biggio is going to retire some day, which moves Burke to his natural position. At that point, do the Astros move ***** Taveras to center full-time, or trade him for relief pitching and bring up Jimerson? How long will the Preston Wilson experiment last? If we're going to get 8 home runs and a .260ish average hitter out of left field, I'd rather see it come from Hunter Pence.

Personally, if the Astros are going to trade, I'd like to see it be for relief, but EVERY team needs relievers, so they don't exactly give away the good ones.

Also, look at the ages of some of the Astros' top prospects
Charlton Jimerson - 26
Luke Scott - 28
Hunter Pence - 23
Jason Hirsch - 24

Jimerson and Scott are both borderline, age-wise, to be considered prospects any more. At that age, why aren't they on the major league roster? If they're good enough, we should either be playing them or we should have traded them when they had more value. Jason Lane fell victim to the same fate. His name was mentioned repeatedly in trade talks, but then he got "too old" to be a prospect and didn't have enough major league experience to be taken seriously by a contender (or a team with a player to offer). The Astros have (IMO) a bad habit of bringing players along VERY slowly, then they get "stuck" with mid-level talent at some key positions (mostly the OF).

-Mike
Old 07-05-2006, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

wandy is the most consist pitcher we have in the starting rotation right now -- why give that up? -- i mean when b. backe comes back -- he will still have a spot in the rotation - and d. willis isnt all that great this yr. what is he record?....
Old 07-05-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i haven't paid much attention to the Marlins this year but i'm gunna guess lack of run support and Bad D aren't helping him any. I'm sure you throw him in the middle of a pennet race and he'll be jump started
Old 07-05-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Marlins have won 20 of their last 29 and are only 2 games back of the Mets. They are in the pennant race as we speak.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well then
Old 07-05-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I made that up. They are doing better than expected though.