Missaligned Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missaligned Fenders

A couple of days ago I decided to get my tires rotated since it was due time. Dropped the car off and picked it up several hours later. Didnt notice anything at the time so paid up and took off. Finally get home and start washing my car and I come to realize that both front fenders have about 3/4" gap on the door panel. In total disbelief I try to figure out what happened when I finally found the culprit. The people who rotated my tires must've jacked the car up on the factory lift mounts and bent the **** out of them resulting in the fender bowing out. I returned to the shop but they claim that they had no part of this happening. Now I know this shop fucked it up, but has anybody else ever encountered this? Also, has anybody attempted to resolve this issue on their own? I mean, I think I can bend the mounts back but I dont want it to crack or break resulting in a even more fucked up fender. As far as the fender goes, there isnt any damage, just out of whack. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Happens all the time man
Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah it does. My brother did it to his own car when he was workin at national tire and battery. But he did it when he was new but he learned his leason. Its very easy to bend them back.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

just be careful you dont snap the plastic.
not too hard at all.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:50 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

I use a hammer and hammer it back into place. I`ve done it on my Z28 and my friends. You can damage the plastic fender so you may want to take out the two bolts and pull the fender back and then hamer away. It dosen`t take much hammering at all. I did mine with the fenders attached to the bent mounts and I didn`t hurt the fender. I tried to hammer on the bolts instead of the plastic.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Al and others, its the first thing I notice now when I walk to my car....GRRR, looks like I got a weekend project!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

it takes 5 minutes...get a 2x4, put the end of it against the plate behind each tire, and hit the other end of it with a sledge (try to get a buddy so that one can hold the wood, while the other uses a little force with the sledge) about 3 hits should do. This allows you to evenly distribute pressure along the entire metal piece instead maybe hitting one area too hard; this is also why you can use a sledge cause the pressure will be evenly distributed.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

i went through the same problem 2 weeks ago. i sent my sister in my car to the local goodyear store to have my new tires balanced. only in my situation the tire shop used 3 floor jacks( 1 in the rear and 1 on each side of the front fenders.) well the car fell on the right side busting the right fender and then when they jacked the car back up, they put the jack on the bottom of the left fender and busted it as well. my sister being in the waiting room saw none of this. so later that afternoon my car returns to me with 2 flopping front fenders. so i called the goodyear store and the owner was kinda like "whatever, just bring the car to me and let me look at it." so when i got there he had the attitude that his shop wouldnt have done that kind of damage and i told him he was going to have bigger problems if he didnt fix it. so he brought out his 2 employees and they were honest enough to tell what happened. so he then realized that it was his shops fault and he paid to have the car fixed.