my tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my tires

so i ordered my tires today. i ordered BFG g-force t/a kdw's. 275's in the rear, 245's in the front. anybody got some personal experience they wanna share with me concerning these tires? from what i've heard, everyone's real pleased with them. i'm just curious to know what kind of driving and handling i can expect out of them. thanks in advance for any info.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine handle awesome and i have no complaints. I have the old tread style KDW's not the new flame ones. I love them though.

William
Old 09-21-2006, 07:48 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the old style I guess. Didnt get much life out of them but they hooked as good as my Drag radials at the track with my few mods back then. Great tire for rain but when they were worn the tread got hard and they got noisy. B+ rating
Old 09-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Launching!

thanks guys!! yeah cuz in a mustang... wet weather traction is huge (well any traction for that matter) cuz of the poor weight distribution (concerning daily driving). it could be a little wet, and letting the clutch out lightly at a mild 1000 rpm the tires will spin. but, the lowering springs are coming soon, so my 4x4 getting dropped 1.5 inches will help a little too.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

discount guy in here!

The new tread pattern design ("flames") was used specifically for better wet weather traction. The softer rubber compound when heated, makes for great grip....have them on a friends car but in 18"s and they ride great! Don't expect 30K out of them though...take care of them I'm sure they can go 14-20K miles.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by girlwithapony
thanks guys!! yeah cuz in a mustang... wet weather traction is huge (well any traction for that matter) cuz of the poor weight distribution (concerning daily driving). it could be a little wet, and letting the clutch out lightly at a mild 1000 rpm the tires will spin. but, the lowering springs are coming soon, so my 4x4 getting dropped 1.5 inches will help a little too.
I can tell you one tire you dont ever want if these requirements are very important. I have a set of MT ET Street Radials that are my daily driver tire. They are BADASS on dry pavement but in wet conditions, speed has to be kept around 25 mph to avoid hydroplaning. As far as the BFG's go, I had a friend with them on his '02 GT and they seemed to fit the car's handling capacities well. They were a good mix between wet/dry, cornering, and also lateral acceleration.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redgtstang95
discount guy in here!

The new tread pattern design ("flames") was used specifically for better wet weather traction. The softer rubber compound when heated, makes for great grip....have them on a friends car but in 18"s and they ride great! Don't expect 30K out of them though...take care of them I'm sure they can go 14-20K miles.
I havent looked in a while, but isnt the flame pattern cheaper than the old one? Im about to need new tires, i dont like the flames going with the old ones, but i was just wondering?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

I just recently purchased these tires for my car, 275/35/18 bfg kdw new tread design. I paid $253 per tire plus an additional $45 per tire for the warranty. Considering my previous Michelin Pilot Sports run $396 a tire, I figured that I would give these a try. The BFG's have a 320 tread rating as opposed to the 220 tread rating on the Pilots. They have been great tires thus far and they handle great in the rain and hook up very well on the street. I would urge other people to buy them. Good luck bro. BTW, Discount Tire does price match, make sure to check out Tire Rack or even Sams....print out a copy of the invoice and theyll price match it for you.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pennys58
I just recently purchased these tires for my car, 275/35/18 bfg kdw new tread design. I paid $253 per tire plus an additional $45 per tire for the warranty. Considering my previous Michelin Pilot Sports run $396 a tire, I figured that I would give these a try. The BFG's have a 320 tread rating as opposed to the 220 tread rating on the Pilots. They have been great tires thus far and they handle great in the rain and hook up very well on the street. I would urge other people to buy them. Good luck bro. BTW, Discount Tire does price match, make sure to check out Tire Rack or even Sams....print out a copy of the invoice and theyll price match it for you.
Hell yeah, thanks for the advise. Will do!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Launching!

I had a good experience with them on my last Mustang. 315's in the rear and 275's in the front. The only problem I see here is your stock rear wheels are 8" and a 275 fits best on a 9" rim. The rears are going to bulge out a bit, so you will not have the BEST contact patch, but you should still be fine.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

got them on my firehawk with about 17k on them right now. work great in the rain and for dry handling i dont think i've ever heard them chirp when taking a turn fast. I find them to be rather useless for launches from a dig, with 354rwhp. they will often light up with very little throttle when moving from a stop when on a hill.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by K Bo
I had a good experience with them on my last Mustang. 315's in the rear and 275's in the front. The only problem I see here is your stock rear wheels are 8" and a 275 fits best on a 9" rim. The rears are going to bulge out a bit, so you will not have the BEST contact patch, but you should still be fine.
i may be wrong, but from what i understand these wheels stock are 17x9. i asked the guy at discount about the tire and how the fit would be, and he said my wheels were perfect for 275's. i know a lot of people that put 275's on stock mustang wheels. i'll keep you guys posted though, cuz i get them put on tomorrow!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by girlwithapony
i may be wrong, but from what i understand these wheels stock are 17x9. i asked the guy at discount about the tire and how the fit would be, and he said my wheels were perfect for 275's. i know a lot of people that put 275's on stock mustang wheels. i'll keep you guys posted though, cuz i get them put on tomorrow!
Stockers are 17x8. The 275 size is going to be too big. I'd scale back to a 255 if it's available or stay 245 all around so you can rotate later.

Brian
Old 09-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Yeah, looking at your pictures, your wheels are definately 8" wide. The only 17"x9" wheels stock on a Mustang of late were Cobras.

the 275 will fit, but as mentioned above a 245 or 255 would be more desirable.