Your thoughts, Please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Your thoughts, Please?

Allright, I'm 21 years old, I'm finishing (1 more semester) up my Process Tech classes at Lee College in Baytown. I'm currently working for JE/Jacobs @ Bayer in Baytown...

I'm sure everyone knows that we had an explosion out there today, Nobody was killed but 18 people were sent to the hospitle. Right now I dont know what I want to do with my life. What happend to day really made me think "Is this what i really want to do?" (working in this industry?) I know that danger is apart of the industry, just i never thought that it could happen so close...Apart of me is scared shitless, I have never seen so much destruction in such a short time. And the other part of me is telling my self "Its apart of the job, **** happends like this...you are almost done with you degree..just finish it and give it a chance..."

Anyone work in chemical/refinery plant? I want to know what you think?

Thanks
Mike
Old 09-26-2006, 10:17 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

same thing happend to me 20 years ago, still working in the industry, finish school that is a plus in whatever you do.

I do hope everyone is ok, just watched it on the news, some major damage for sure.
glad your ok man.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Get out....There are tons of jobs that you can do...I worked in chemical plants for the last 4 years... with Cutler hammer/Eaton..and after I was cleaning a bus bar with some moron from BP testing on the other side and about killed me..That was enough..Sure you can make allot or money there..heck my neighbor makes a killing at Exxon working 7/12's but when do you have time to enjoy it.. by the way worked at Bayer allot..its one of the safer places to be but things still happen..as you found out..
Old 09-27-2006, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I put myself through college working in chemical plants along 225 and out on Bay Area Blvd. I started out as a pipefitter helper, did some welding, then pipefitting, project engineer, etc... Total of about 6 years. Saw plenty of messed up stuff and leaks, and I hated wearing the Nomex suits and goggles in some plants.

The money is decent, but the risks are there too. I'm glad I got out of the chemical plants, the offshore industry is better.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Have you ever thought about the engineering side of the process field (like becomming a drafter/designer/engineer)????

I also went to school (TSTC Waco, TX) to become an Instrument tech and I thought I was going to get on at a plant somewhere and retire there but I found a lot of engineering companies wanting young college grads with that background such as yourself offering a "LOT" better pay and think about it, you're in air conditioning all day, don't even break a sweat shuffling papers, oh and did I mention the pay is a "LOT" better.

BTW: I'm also at JE but I'm in the Houston office. Just so you know, the demand is so high right now they are offering a $2500 referral bonus so if anyone wants in, let me know. Too bad you're already with JE.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been thinking about going into engineering. My father is an engineer out at Bayer in the unit im working in. The demand for engineers is high?

Offshore Industry is better? I've heard they are alot more dangerous than anything on land.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

My father worked at tyler pipe when he was younger as well as my grand father. Tyler pipe is the most deadly place in america to work. My grandfather lost his arm working there when my father had just married my mom. My dad has lung problems now. He will get a settlement because of it but it was never worth the year he worked there. One of my other familiy members has worked there his whole life and he had to have open heart surgery because of it. The money does not out due the risks of the job. My dad regrets every day of working there.

Last edited by irbs; 09-27-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

about 95% of the offshore industry don't even go near water. Just the boat crews. The office people rarely even see a ship. So no, it isn't dangerous. The only somewhat dangerous job would to be a diver.

As for engineers, the company I work for starts them out around $70K/year right out of college. With offshore time (maybe 60 days a year) they make even more.

Drafters/designers are also in high demand right now, and make good money too.