Thank you Ram Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thank you Ram Clutches

I bought myself a powergrip 4 about 2 years and 10k miles ago. When i pulled the motor out and looked at the clutch it was all kinds of jacked up (thank you Fidanza for such a shitty flywheel) I got ahold of Mike a.k.a Stick Only and he set me up with a great deal on a new clutch disc and told me what to do to get the pressure plate rebuilt. New clutch disc $165, rebuilt pressure plate $95. They put in a new diaphram and either turned the plate or put in a new one i couldnt really tell. So for $260 i get a new clutch. I dont think neone else rebuilds their clutches so i will definately stay with ram.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good friend just had one installed in a 2006 Z06.

- Not to happy with the noise when I drove it.

But it seems to work pretty good we will see how long it last.

Cheers
G
Old 09-28-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

What didnt you like about the flywheel?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had a Ram in just about every 6-speed LS1 I've owned, they have always worked great. They make a few different disks depending on how aggressive you need them to be, but the more aggressive ones will also chatter more.

I'm trying out a Textralia in the C6 right now, seems to be working great also.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 AM
11Second Club

Textralia is definitely the way to go if you have the cash. Mine chattered for a little while, but after it was broken in at the track and I put the 4.10's on the car, I love my clutch. I'll never use another one, I don't think.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well my RAM HD ate my flywheel and PP. disk is fine i think looks just as thick as it was new. so is "STICK ONLY" his name on here i guess? i need a new flywheel but if he can do the PP for me that would be great. i only have 10k on mine since FEB.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you call ram the automated thing tells you your ram clutch is 100% rebuildable. My disc wasnt because it was bent. I went with the 300/900 series disc to see how it would hold with less chatter. Looks almost identical in style to the centerforce dual friction. The fidanza flywheel is not as sturdy a piece as a ram aluminum flywheel. For one, the friction insert is only 3/8 of an inch thick in stead of 1/4 like the ram which helps ti dissipate heat. The insert is also not completely flush with the rest of the flywheel. mine stuck up about .040 more than the flywheel did and the clutch could never completely disengage. There were DEEP grooves in the PP and the friction insert. The old insert was warped badly. When i first installed everything i took it to a machine shop to have it balanced. The PP barely had nething removed from it but the flywheel had to have six 3/8 inch holes about 1/2 inch deep put in it in one spot before it zero balanced. I have a poly tranny mount and it was a VERY smooth reving engine. Mike has also stated in another thread that they do not turn the friction insert after it is made so the clutch disc will never properly seat. Much like the brakes on a car. If i had the money i would go with a new ram flywheel but i am redoing my Fidanza with a new insert and will see how it goes this time. If it holds 550 rwhp ill be very happy.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Ive never had a problem with my fidanza alum flywheel. I had a RAM HD sintered iron setup for 20,000 miles...bought a new insert and its also working great with my current spec 3+ setup....