help plz water damage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question help plz water damage!!!

well this past saturday it rained pretty bad and i even think a small twister touched down around the city, and well i was on the highway going towards grannys house when i got caught in the rain, as i got off the highway most of the access roads were pretty flooded....so i went through some pretty big puddles there...as the closer i got to my grandmothers house the shittier the water run offs were in the neighborhoods....so needless to say i went through 2 big water flooded intersection and plus parked on the side of my grandmothers HOUSE and the water was up to the top of my rocker panel when i parked the car there.....so im pretty sure all my undercarriage was under water for at least 45mins till the water resided....i checked the engine compartment before i turned it on later that night and there was no water near my topend of the motor...the massair was dry...the air filter was dry...and all the other vitals seemed good....i turned the vehicle on and it idled a bit funny, as i preceeded to take off....the veh started to spudder....and hesitate.....my check engine light came on and i continued to go threw my gears at low speeds wondering WTF ....went to a buddies crib and he said his lowerd 02 ss would do the same **** when he would drive it in the rain...said it was cause the o2 sensors would get wet...so the following day yesterday once i figured the connectors were dry i turned it over and went for a spin again...and the same **** was happening...a bit worse if anything and my check engine light would start to blink which i know meant a misfire...so my friend with the hp tunersfor my specific yr was out of town till today so when i get out of work im gonna plug it in and try to figure this **** out....ANYONE have this happen to them before or know what this issue might be...yesterday i disconnected the o2's and kind of blew them out with air to make sure they had no condensation so i am stumped......plz help
Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was your exhaust under water?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

the lower part of the hearders and most of the y-pipe was
Old 06-11-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

But not the exhaust outlet, the tip of the tailpipe?
If it was it is possible that water entered and is trapped in the muffler maybe. If the water went high enough it is possible that it made it over the axle through the bend.
I am not sure that this is the cause but water in your exhaust, might cause such a problem.

Also maybe the Crank Sensor, that would effect the idle and throw a code.
It is located near the balancer I believe.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

This Happen To Me It Was My O2's
Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by volcanic2345
This Happen To Me It Was My O2's
THATS WHAT IM HOPING IT IS ...AS FAR AS THE CRANK SENSOR I GUESS IT COULD BE A POSSIBILITY BUT NOT LIKELY ABOUT THE WATER IN MY EXHAUST CAUSE I HAVE A LOUDMOUTH STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST NO MUFFLER

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS ANY OTHER FEEDBACK WELCOME
Old 06-11-2007, 06:15 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the water probably got in the conector and fried them I have had it happen to a few people before I'd change them and see what happens. Ofcourse a Tech2 could tell you what was causing it for sure if you know someone with one.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

Take Your O2's And Put Them Next To Your Ears Shake Them And See If You Hear Anything!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

that sucks steve.

but when i went into water when it rained here pretty bad.

i replaced both 02 sensors, new maf, new plugs new wires, new oil.

did a small tuneup.

it fixed it.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Same thing happen to me, when it was raining, the o2 sensors got messed up,bought new ones and problem was solved.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Listen brother.. the same thing happened to me, it ended up being my Fuel pump relay.. shorting out... also, my wiring harness ( drivers side) was saturated with water. took the wire loom off and dried everthing off... the F/P relay was shorting out.. also the wiring to the fuel pump itself was wet...

Worth a try...