Looking to change job (to automotive)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Looking to change job (to automotive)

I am trying to get out of the millworking business. I am looking to get into the automotive repair. I got a auto tech certificate from ATI and want to start working at a car dealership. Anyone in the Dallas area, do you mind telling me what the income averages are. Any helpful tips to get started would be appreciated to get started at GM or BMW etc what ever pays better. Anyone know what the starting pay might be? And what I will need to do to get started? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know a guy that i used to work with that came from uti making 9 bucks an hour. why dont ask me. im gm certified and i started out at 20 a flag hour.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
i know a guy that i used to work with that came from uti making 9 bucks an hour. why dont ask me. im gm certified and i started out at 20 a flag hour.
what does it take to get gm certified? i would love to work for gm!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

you have to go through another program at brookhaven and do some gm training at the training center and online.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
If you come out of uti you wont make ****. I went through the bmw thing and I do pretty good. Highline is where the money is at. Most highline techs ar bumper to bumper where as the other makes are specialized. I like being able to grab and RO and do it fromt start to finish. My 2 cents, Josh
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im a technician and make 6.50 and hour.

We have mechs who make 16% of their tickets and no wages, they arent certified, then we have 18 percenters who are certified.

Im also interested in this, im in college and I loveworking on cars and occasionaly I consider transfering to an automotive shcool type thing?

Were would be a good school to go to, to make decent money in the bussiness? What would be expected in annual salary?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

thanks guys keep em coming
Old 12-29-2007, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

can anyone in the profession show some love.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

like stated above if you are bumper to bumper you can make more money but i have also made more money being a specific area. i do front end and driveability, where im at now i do bumper to bumper and im not even coming close to the hours i was flagging. when i was front end and drive ability i was flaggin abt 60hrs now im flaggin 35 but since i make a lot more over here it makes up. what are your skills? what area do you want to work in?
Old 12-29-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

well im good at all engine internal and external.i dont know much about transmissions except how to uninstall and reinstall. i do ok at engine performance diagnostics and some experiance in electrical. i can also work on suspension, just dont know how to do alighment or rebuild rear ends.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

From a technician who grew up in a shop. Run don't walk away from working on cars. It is fun doing mods and whatnot on your own stuff. But, 8-7 on everybody elses stuff for marginal pay sucks. Thats why I went back to college and only tinker here and there as I want and not cause I have too. IMHO
Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
From a technician who grew up in a shop. Run don't walk away from working on cars. It is fun doing mods and whatnot on your own stuff. But, 8-7 on everybody elses stuff for marginal pay sucks. Thats why I went back to college and only tinker here and there as I want and not cause I have too. IMHO
I agree, been in the collision industry for 23 years. I like my job but the insurance industry is ruining the collision side. At least the mechanical side is not run by insurance companies. Not sure why you want to work on GM, when I worked at GM dealership and had to warranty work it doesn't pay squat. I would look into Jap cars, less warranty work and more customer pay work. Plus if you could get into high end cars most of those people have the money to fix their cars. If you are truely mechanically inclined you may want to look into the collision industry. Flat rate is less than a mech but my helper and I run 286 flag hours average per week.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by reelmcoy
I agree, been in the collision industry for 23 years. I like my job but the insurance industry is ruining the collision side. At least the mechanical side is not run by insurance companies. Not sure why you want to work on GM, when I worked at GM dealership and had to warranty work it doesn't pay squat. I would look into Jap cars, less warranty work and more customer pay work. Plus if you could get into high end cars most of those people have the money to fix their cars. If you are truely mechanically inclined you may want to look into the collision industry. Flat rate is less than a mech but my helper and I run 286 flag hours average per week.
I average around 60- 80 flag hours a week. Sometimes as much as 100-120. I would stay away from gm. Go to high line. They pay more per hour than most domestics but require more specialized training.