From a quality controlchemist which oil is best

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From a quality controlchemist which oil is best

Ok sorry if this sounds stupid first of all. My dad is an electrical engineer and one of his friends at work is a quality control chemist. Ive been discussing the question of oil vs synthetic and which oil is best with him so he asked the quality control chemist at the plant he works at. The chemist said that mobile 1 synthetic is the best, i used royal purple and my dad asked him the difference. He explained that the polymer that mobil one uses is very good and blah blah blah. I asked my dad to get a better explanation preferably in writing, but figured id let you guys know what ive found out...i mean a chemist is going to know what is best especially when they work in a plant full of machinery...
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mobil 1 is race proven. I've been using it for over 10 yrs and all of my engines have held up strong under extremely tough driving conditions
Old 02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Mobil 1 has my vote. I have used it for years in all my rides.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

ive recently been deciding what to use and have found much confusion on the issue, im sure almost all oils are good, but there has to be one that is a little better then the rest and im thinking its mobile 1 now and im going to try the 0w40 and see for myself, i mean i trust this guy not only because he is a chemist, but he loves cars, i believe he has a 79 trans am thats mint...he reads all of the ingredients in everything he uses on his car...wax, soap, oil, he even says shell/chevron are the best gases because of the anti carbon additives. Im not usually one to just go off what someone says, but im trusting this guy
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

if you want to be truly OCD about it .... go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and you can read reports from when people ship off their used oil to have a chemical analysis done on it.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
if you want to be truly OCD about it .... go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and you can read reports from when people ship off their used oil to have a chemical analysis done on it.
OP that site is awesome btw.. nothing fancy, just good information
Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

ya ive checked it before its good info...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

I was told the oil itself is all the same. "Synthetic" is just filtered better and has a few more additives in it.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
I was told the oil itself is all the same. "Synthetic" is just filtered better and has a few more additives in it.
what you heard is oil all starts out the same. there's a difference.

it's like saying peanut butter and peanut oil are the same cause they both started out as peanuts.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you need to know about oil in a nutshell is what base stock does it use? High quality conventional stock or a pure-base synthetic? Use what you like, make sure it's a name brand oil, use a good filter, change it regularly, enjoy your driving. It's more psychological than anything.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Stay away from Royal Purple.

I have taken way too many motors apart where owners have swore 3k miles changes with nothing but RP. There has been nothing but black sludge throughout the entire motor. There is definitely such thing as too many detergents in a DD application.

Stick with valvoline/castrol/mobil 1. Even Mobil 1 isnt a full Synthetic. Great oil though.

Seriously, if you are running RP, get the garbage out of your motor before it goes bye bye.

-W
Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pheonix
I had an S-10 Xtreme and i used nothing but mobil 1 synthetic for a entire year. I ended up putting one of those tornado things that is soposed to save you on gas and one of the fins broke off and flew in one of my pistons completely messing up one of my pistons. Well since they were not going to warranty it because that was an aftermarket thing i put i poured a bunch of water int the intake and let it sit for a couple of days then i took it to the dealer and told them that i went through hight water. It was hurricane season so it was believable. They ended up taking apart the whole motor and the mechanic working on it thought i was messing with them. He thought that i had just put brand new pistons on it and that i did something wrong. he said there was no wear at all and that they looked brand new. The truck had 36,000 miles. My point is Mobil 1 synthetic is bad ***.
Smart move to post this.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pheonix
I had an S-10 Xtreme and i used nothing but mobil 1 synthetic for a entire year. I ended up putting one of those tornado things that is soposed to save you on gas and one of the fins broke off and flew in one of my pistons completely messing up one of my pistons. Well since they were not going to warranty it because that was an aftermarket thing i put i poured a bunch of water int the intake and let it sit for a couple of days then i took it to the dealer and told them that i went through hight water. It was hurricane season so it was believable. They ended up taking apart the whole motor and the mechanic working on it thought i was messing with them. He thought that i had just put brand new pistons on it and that i did something wrong. he said there was no wear at all and that they looked brand new. The truck had 36,000 miles. My point is Mobil 1 synthetic is bad ***.
so they didn't notice a fin in ur motor? and seriously, don't tell car enthusiasts that you bought a tornado lmfao. that thing is nothing more than a big dangerous air obstruction
Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've worked as a QC Chemist and I know several still. The guy gave you his OPINION, nothing more.

QC chemist do quick tests to make sure a product meets certain set standards. They most likely do not have definitive knowlege on the subject of which is best. More of if a product meets certain standards set by someone else (higher up in the food chain).

Mobil 1 is race proven? So is Valvoline conventional oil. So much for that.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 02-20-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Red00
Smart move to post this.
This happened years ago. I pulled off my heads and took out the dubree.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You, me & dubree!!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
You, me & dubree!!
Debris
Old 02-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
You, me & dubree!!
hahahah
Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dshag
Ok sorry if this sounds stupid first of all. My dad is an electrical engineer and one of his friends at work is a quality control chemist. Ive been discussing the question of oil vs synthetic and which oil is best with him so he asked the quality control chemist at the plant he works at. The chemist said that mobile 1 synthetic is the best, i used royal purple and my dad asked him the difference. He explained that the polymer that mobil one uses is very good and blah blah blah. I asked my dad to get a better explanation preferably in writing, but figured id let you guys know what ive found out...i mean a chemist is going to know what is best especially when they work in a plant full of machinery...
I wouldnt take his opinion as gosple. Just because he is a quality guy at a plant does not mean he knows what he is talking about in this instance. I doubt he has done studies to compare the various oils.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Just curious does your chemist work for EXXON!

Quick Reply: From a quality controlchemist which oil is best