Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tig Welding with an Old DC Welder ?s.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Tig Welding with an Old DC Welder ?s.

Is it possible to use an old AC/DC Welder, and convert it to tig welding? I know I will need a tig torch, argon, and gauges. What else needs to be done?

Or What about a Harbor Freight AC/DC Welder and converting it to do tig?

Thanks.

Last edited by Stampede4ever; 10-22-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can weld anything you dont need to use AC/High freq. on with basically any lugged DC power supply. Just add the parts you mentioned. The only bad thing about those old cracker box welders, you are probably going to get alot of "dig" in your arc. The preset spark gap and windings for those things are meant to be run with 6010-6011 rods.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Stampede, i have tried that before, and it didn't work. The end of the torch probes kept burning off and the arc was just too big, hot and too hard to get going. I asked a guy who came in to modify some equipment from the manufacturer (doing some stainless Tig work) what my problem was. He said if we bought the freq. box to add on to our Miller welder, we would be good to go. We never did; most of our welding we could do with Mig and stick just fine. Xfactor may be a welding pro; i can weld but i ain't no pro, so maybe he has it scoped out.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

RedZ99, that sounds like you were welding on the wrong polarity. You need to be on DC- polarity to tig weld no matter what machine you are on. Welding off of any dc welder can be done with a tig rig argon hose and a bottle. You wont have foot pedal control, but you can do it. That is what we do to weld pipe.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Is it possible to use an old AC/DC Welder, and convert it to tig welding? I know I will need a tig torch, argon, and gauges. What else needs to be done?

Or What about a Harbor Freight AC/DC Welder and converting it to do tig?

Thanks.
What exactly are you looking to weld? You can convert virtually any machine to do TIG welding as long as you have the parts you mentioned. Remember that AC is needed to weld aluminum, but as pitbull mentioned high frequency is not needed, but helps with arc stability. Most machines have a remote amperage plug and I would suggest you use it when doing any type of TIG welding. This is a place on the machine where you plug in either a foot amperage control/hand control and the "trigger" for MIG welding.

If you do not use a foot pedal then whatever heat setting you put the machine on, you will be welding at that level the whole time you are welding. With a foot pedal / hand control you can set the machine at a higher setting and adjust your foot or hand accordingly (similar to a gas pedal in a car, the more gas you give the faster the car goes, with welding its heat)
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want to be able to tig weld 304 .060" S.S. tubing.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
I want to be able to tig weld 304 .060" S.S. tubing.

Thanks.
Where are you located? Near me by any chance? Don't forget to use tri-mix to TIG stainless
Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just got an old High Freq. from work, just need to find the AC/DC welder.

I'm close to Columbus Oh. And what is Tri-mix?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You dont need trimix to tig stainless. Strait argon gas works just fine. Thats all we use to weld stainless pipe.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Teching In

tri mix is used when mig welding stainless and 100% argon or helium for tig welding stainless
Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

100% argon for all tig processes i have ever done.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theyre all right, im a pipe-fitter and have never run anything but argon through any purge on stainless. All we do are food grade lines so SS is all Ive done for quite awhile. If it doesnt sugar 1/16" SS tube, nothing will. Make sure your torch is plugged into the negative terminal. heres a helpful hint; If your just starting, buy a tungsten grinding jig cuz your gonna be using it alot just starting. sharpen your tungsten to a fine point but do not make it so thin that the end breaks when you strike your arc, if this doenst make sense it soon will. Any more q's feel free to pm
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1cutlas
tri mix is used when mig welding stainless and 100% argon or helium for tig welding stainless
not true... use pure argon for stainless... u use a mix of argon and helium if u want cleaner and deeper penetration.. but its expensive and pointless for what ur trying to do

Last edited by rice4eatingnotdrivin; 11-20-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

also if ur doing SS pipe cover both end of the pipe with tin foil and put a hose off a argon tank on the inside and purge the inside of the pipe... this will help with penetration and keep the weld nice, clean, and strong
Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rice4eatingnotdrivin
also if ur doing SS pipe cover both end of the pipe with tin foil and put a hose off a argon tank on the inside and purge the inside of the pipe... this will help with penetration and keep the weld nice, clean, and strong
umm no, use masking tape w/ a hole the size of a pushpin head open for purge flow in the tape cap. now for a purge line off your regulator.... buy a cap with a standard disconnect just like a normal air nipple on air hose. If you've never tig'd before this is over your head to tig. As far as the argon helping penetration is incorrect. It only removes the oxygen inside with an inert gas to prevent contamination of your tube on the inside...Internet welders arent the most reliable, and mostly just keybord jockies full of BS, Pick up a coppy of TIG WELDING FOR DUMMIES and take some vocational classes or your welds will be about as strong as an internet welders advice rotlmao
Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joker120
umm no, use masking tape w/ a hole the size of a pushpin head open for purge flow in the tape cap. now for a purge line off your regulator.... buy a cap with a standard disconnect just like a normal air nipple on air hose. If you've never tig'd before this is over your head to tig. As far as the argon helping penetration is incorrect. It only removes the oxygen inside with an inert gas to prevent contamination of your tube on the inside...Internet welders arent the most reliable, and mostly just keybord jockies full of BS, Pick up a coppy of TIG WELDING FOR DUMMIES and take some vocational classes or your welds will be about as strong as an internet welders advice rotlmao

well no **** argon removes oxygen it says it right on the label of the tank. what i wrote helium mixed with argon helps with penetration.... if u do purge the inside of a SS pipe with just argon u do get better penetration. have u ever noticed when u did that u didnt get the "sugar" on the backside???? im sure u never looked....
Old 11-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Teching In

ok, lets see your sanitary welds then? mine are cut open all day, your the one who said helium/argon mix. read your reply. stack-o-dimes=out....mouse ears=in, lets see what ya got. play nice now remember i do this for a living, sanitary welding 1/16" tube, it puts food on my table so think before you speak.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.aws.org/wj/amwelder/11-00/fact_sheet.html

Quick Reply: Tig Welding with an Old DC Welder ?s.