Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Anyone hear of Shars Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone hear of Shars Tools?

Looking into getting some tools to do a my first bottom end of an LS. I'm wondering how good the tools can be for the price, but it says the measure to .0001. I know they are no Sonnen or mitutoyo, but I don't have that kind of money for their tools. Here are the links:

What do you guys think? Any first hand experiences?

Dial bore gauge - http://www.shars.com/products/view/2...ial_Bore_Gauge

Micrometer set (0-6in) http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...Micrometer_Set

If not, any budget setups that I can get to get started?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any cheaper tools will work ok, they tend to not hold up so well over time but as long as the procedure is followed to use the tools properly they are accurate. More problems result from user error than from poor tool performance, regardless of quality. Double check your measurements and be careful and you'll be fine.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never heard of that brand. Some other budget brands I can think on the top of my head are Anytime Tools, Fowler, Precise.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been a machinist for 15 years. I actually have used those exact mics lately, they are plenty good for the money. They aren't as good as Brown and Sharp, Starrett, or Mitutoyo, and I use all of those brands as well, but I would def say you'll be satisfied for what your spending.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I've been a machinist for 15 years. I actually have used those exact mics lately, they are plenty good for the money. They aren't as good as Brown and Sharp, Starrett, or Mitutoyo, and I use all of those brands as well, but I would def say you'll be satisfied for what your spending.

Good to hear. I think I'm just going to do a cheap stock rebuild and see how it goes before I spend thousands on a forged rotating assembly. So, it sounds like these will get it done. Thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone hear of Shars Tools?