Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Husky or Sears tool chests?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Husky or Sears tool chests?

I have purchased several tool chests from Husky at the Depo and they are cheap and durable providing good value. One drawer on a lower chest is sticky with a bad bearing set I think...

Anyway, I just purchased a bottom chest from Sears on the Internet and I will pick it up today. It was really cheap at $119 for 5 drawers.

I suspect all the chests from Depo, Sears, Harbor Frieght, Source Tools, JCW, etc. and the like are made by the same company and they just slap a Craftsman or Husky label on them and ship them out the door.

...anyway I now own Sears tools including this tool chest and a 30 gallon 5HP oil-less compressor (Uhk!)

I have never purchased Sears hand tools before since they are bulky, poorly finished and are VERY pricy for their below average quality.....
Old 04-23-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes Snap-On. Oh that wasn't a opion ok Crapsman then the pro. ball bearing are a little better I have 2 of the red rolling chest high ones in my basement. But in the garage a 7foot high 54" long by 29"deep Snap-On. I love that thing so much. Well as long as I don't thing about the price!
Old 04-24-2004, 02:07 AM
Banned

I like craftsman tools over any forign made crap from the depot.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Sears AND HUSKY wrenches and sockets,rachets HATE!!!HUSKY rachets are pure JUNK!!I bet Tony Stewart don't use HUSKY!!! SEARS all the way!!!!You have to buy SEARS tools on sale or in value packs can't beat price or quaility.I use my tools everyday not a hobby!!!!!
Old 04-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Snap-on on wayyyyyyyyyyy overpriced on their tool chests, I looked at one and saw the price so I assumed it came with tools too(it was like over 500 bucks)..I nearly dropped dead on the floor when the guy said it didn't...I like Sears tool chests, nice for the money..

Dave
Old 04-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Banned

can you buy anything snap on for under $500bucks... course you can but you get what you pay for with snap on and they are the only real professional hand tools.

http://community.webshots.com/user/fraser350
this tool box debted me a little more then $500 but would purchase it again in a heart beat
Old 04-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Launching!

I have used a little bit of everything, and think that Craftsman has the best quality. Husky hand tools have broken on me way more than Craftsman. Plus its so simple to walk into the local Sears, hand them your cracked socket, ratchet, etc, and get a new one no questions asked... Been there done that more than a few times.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

...Husky crome plated wrenches look VERY high quality.....I may pick up a metric and standard set....their sockets are overpriced...
Old 04-26-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Default 3/4 inch socket sets - harbor freight or JCW?

What about the inexpensive (cheap) sets of large 3/4 drive sockets from these guys? sets are like 60 bucks....i suppose you can't go wrong for that price?

Anyone see the folding engine removal hoists for $200 with hydrolics?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

I just bought a lower 5 drawer set from Sears. It really blows compared to the quality of the Husky boxes - really no comparison....
Old 04-26-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i have a sears box... cant complaine about it too much because it was an x-mass gift so ill just say this about it: at any given time there are only 3 wheels contacting the ground because the bottem box is so warped!!! i guess ill just have to buy more tools to weigh it down
for now i tore off all the craftsman stickers and replaced them with Ford stickers... funy how every one sees the one wheel up in the air goes to ask whay my box is so jacked up and then sees the ford logos and, not having spoken one word, there question is answered
i say put the money into the tools that you save on buying the box!
Old 05-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Teching In

I'm going to the Harbor Freight store about 60 miles from me to pick up an 11 drawer chest with rollers for $140, I think it has 5 drawers on the bottom and another chest with 6 drawers sits on top..check it out on their website..the quality is probably on par with Husky but its alot cheaper

Dave
Old 05-01-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 20+ year old Craftsman tool chest w/ stack on drawers that my dad picked up from a friend that was throwing it away more than 20 yrs ago. It's been beat up a little through the years, and I've even had to repaint it, but I can honestly say, it does a good job of holding my tools. It might not be the prettiest tool box out there, but it does its duty.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

KOBALT boxes from Lowes are the same boxes as Craftsman. Except they dont have the drawer lock on the fronts. Everything else is the same about 1/2 the price. Couldnt belive it, but they are the same hinges and everything.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

I would be interested in knowing about the quality of the Harbor Freight boxes.

Some of their stuff is really high quality but other stuff is total junk
Old 05-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Teching In

They have a Harbor freight store in Syracuse and one in Brooklyn, I'm taking a ride there on Saturday(Syracuse) to check out the chest..I'll let you know what I find out..

Dave
Old 06-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bugalou
They have a Harbor freight store in Syracuse and one in Brooklyn, I'm taking a ride there on Saturday(Syracuse) to check out the chest..I'll let you know what I find out..

Dave
Did you get to take a ride to the Harbor Freight store? I am considering purchasing one of their rolling tool chests and concerned about quality.

Here is the one I am considering getting: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90320

~Jason
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

...also consider the boxes at Sam's...
Old 06-11-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i buy most of my stuff from sears now, didn't mind husky stuff until i had to return some busted sockets. i had to go a few times to replace them adn everytime it was a huge ordeal.
sears on teh other hand, if i crack or break something they jstu hand me a new one. only time i ever got asked how i did something was when i snapped a screw driver in half, the answer, anyone remeber that old craftsman commercial where they use a screw driver to hold a tow strap? well, it doesn't work as well in real life as it did on the commercial the guy behind the counter jsut laughed as he handed me a new one.
i work for lowe's, don't buy anything made by allen tools, it is absolute garbage. teh castings are so huge they shoudl say tonka on them adn the steel they use is the lowest quality i have ever seen.

later
tim
Old 06-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bugalou
Snap-on on wayyyyyyyyyyy overpriced on their tool chests, I looked at one and saw the price so I assumed it came with tools too(it was like over 500 bucks)..I nearly dropped dead on the floor when the guy said it didn't...I like Sears tool chests, nice for the money..

Dave
Snap-on chest for $500? That's a steal. Come of those go for 10 times as much. Way too much for me.

Quick Reply: Husky or Sears tool chests?