Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

MAC tool box = $6,000

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For $5k to $10k I think would would just buy a freakin truck and have them mobile..
Old 06-26-2004, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
None of thoes costco or craftsman boxs have depth.

Snap on boxs are good, but Matco 5S boxs are the best.

The reason a few of us spend great deals of money, a guy in my shop has about $50,000 in his tool box.

you guys just don't understand what auto techs are up against, we dont' have all day to get a job done, its fast paced. You have to be prepared for differnt circumstances, if a bolt breaks last thing you want is a shitty set of dull craftsman drill bits you need snap on cobalt drill bits and not just one set either. wire gauge, letter size, fractional size right angle drill bits etc etc. Lets not get started on how many differnt types of wrenchs and sockets technicians have. Point is you need copius amounts of tools to ensure you have a smooth running operation.
speeking of drill bits, i just bought a complete set of turbo max bits from matco the other day, i paid like $185 for them. just last week i needed them to drill about 5 holes though 1/4" steel in 1/2" diamater. every time i drilled a hole it was like cutting through butter. took me like 5 minutes. sure i could of bought some $30 craftsman bits and got the job done, but i already tried that in the past. takes way to long with those and usually after 3 holes or so, the bit is crap. then you have to argue with the sears guy to give you a new one. if any of these bits wears out, there is no questons asked. the matco guy just give me a new one right away.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

you have to be a mechanic to understand. i bought my MATCO boxes used for $4500. upper and lower. about 5.5 feet tall, 5.5 feet wide, and 2.4 feet deep.

for awhile snap-on was selling a toolbox that had an alarm on it. you even had a key fob to arm/disarm the thing.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

you guys just don't understand what auto techs are up against, we dont' have all day to get a job done, its fast paced. You have to be prepared for differnt circumstances, if a bolt breaks last thing you want is a shitty set of dull craftsman drill bits you need snap on cobalt drill bits and not just one set either. wire gauge, letter size, fractional size right angle drill bits etc etc. Lets not get started on how many differnt types of wrenchs and sockets technicians have. Point is you need copius amounts of tools to ensure you have a smooth running operation.
Originally Posted by mrr23
you have to be a mechanic to understand. i bought my MATCO boxes used for $4500. upper and lower. about 5.5 feet tall, 5.5 feet wide, and 2.4 feet deep.
I used to be a mechanic (flat rate dealer tech). I don't understand $12k for a tool box.
I can understand $12k+ for tools, but not for the box.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

I apologize for the misinterpretation. While not being in the business (I'm only a shade tree mechanic), I made an assumption. I did not mean to offend those who do it for a living.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:31 AM
TECH Veteran

But the Sam's box has silky smooth roller drawers and it was made of stainless steel....it only cost $650 compared to the $6,000 Mac box. The Mac box held less tools too....

I used to be a mechanic - now I am a CPA so the tools I have are now only for hobby use; never-the-less I have at least $5K or $6K invested. My three Husky boxes and one Sears box provide me with enough storage for now.

Even if you are a pro with $50K in tools I can't see how anyone could justify a $6K box when a $650 box is better....
Old 06-28-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

My SS is worth less than a similar year Civic; that is because it is a chevy and depreciates very quickly....

I dont get the point....???

The Sam's box is SUPERIOR to the Mac box and costs 1/10th the price!
Old 06-28-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Your Chevy is also worth less than their $10k-12k toolboxes.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

sam club box is great for at home, but in the shop using it every day it will disinagrate. IF I run out of work I can yank out a drawer and sit on it and not owry about the drawer bending or the box colapseing. I can break into a craftsman box (or compariable husky, sams club ect) box lock in under a minute. You are in for a tough road of hoe if you try breaking into a mac snap on or matco box (similary im fuxked if I ever lost both keys), A guy I used to work with bought a brand new matco 8525, on the weekend the clean crew pushed it away from the wall to wash the walls, and pushed it under a car on the hoist. THe car fell off the hoist and landed on the tool box. The tool box needed a new cover and there was a small ding in the front lip. The car wasnt so lucky (2500 in damgae to a 50$ car). Try droping a car on a craftman box and see which wins. I have a garage full of craftsman boxes, 4 of them and I like them a lot. One served full time duty for about 2 years, before I bought a craftsman professinal (which fell apart in about 2 weeks and sears took it back :bow: sears) then I got my matco box and Ill never look back I feel much better knowing that my tools will be there when I go to work the next morning, and You better get some friends if you plan on walking off with the box as it weights 700 lbs dry, not to mention the 2500+lbs of tools in it .
Old 06-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

You guys are right. There is no way those of us that are not professional mechanics will understand b/c i still think it's crazy. I think I would build one out of 1/4" thick steel for security at under $1k if i needed that
Old 06-28-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus christ.

12k for a toolbox with no tools in it? It better know what tools I need and hand them to me as I go!

Dope
Old 06-28-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

MAC box $12k
20 Sams club boxes $12k

You could buy a new sam's club box every year for the next 20 years.
Or you could buy one Sam's club box and another used F-Body.

So how much would a MAC MB1800 go for these days?
I paid < $3k for mine.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dope
Jesus christ.

12k for a toolbox with no tools in it? It better know what tools I need and hand them to me as I go!

Dope

**** thats availabe for a 6 pack, get a gopher just call the kid down the street tell hm you will give him a 6 pack to stand next to the tool box and hand what you ask for. (gopher= go for a 9/16 )
Old 06-29-2004, 04:40 AM
Staging Lane

so these boxes are for security ?? what makes them so secure ? or are they just so damn heavy no one could take it with them ? lol
Old 06-29-2004, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nesto
so these boxes are for security ?? what makes them so secure ? or are they just so damn heavy no one could take it with them ? lol
matco
Powder-Coat Paint Process: 15 step prep/paint process for a long lasting finish

6" Casters: Heavy Duty...rated at 900 lbs. each

Rollaway Side Handle: Mounts to either side (recommended placement is same side as swivel casters)

Maximum Strength Corner Posts: Structurally sized to support heavy loads

High Security Tubar Locks: UL listed as unpickable

Deluxe Drawer Liner - Made of a ?cushy? 1/16? thick non-roll-up material

Anti-Racking Case Design: Unibodied design spreads force throughout the case and helps maintain it's squareness

Beefed-Up Drawer Pulls: Wrap-around design and smooth finish provides ease of use, quick clean-up, and helps protect paint from chipping

Accuride Ball Bearing Slides with Adjustable Detent: 3/4" thick and rated at 232 lbs. per pair. Easy-release drawer mechanism for removal or replacement. Dual slides on the extra deep top and bottom left drawers. Dual pair rated at 450 lbs

ssnap on

Lock 'n Roll® Drawers
Interchangeable Drawers
Premium Non-Slip Drawer Liners
Extra Heavy-Duty Spring Loaded Casters
2 Sliding Trays plus Pull-Out Tote Tray
Sliding Work Surface On Top Narrow Drawer of Roll Cab
Heavy-Duty Ball Bearing Slides On All Drawers - With Quick Disconnect
Heavy-Gauge Double Wall Steel Construction
Includes Stainless Steel Top (KRSST1004)
Additional Features:
Available In 5 Colors - Red, Black, Royal Blue, Teal and Cranberry
Lock 'n Roll® Drawers
Interchangeable Drawers
Premium Non-Slip Drawer Liners
Gas Springs In Top Chest Lid
4" Deep Top Compartments
Extra Heavy-Duty Spring Loaded Casters
2 Sliding Trays plus Pull-Out Tote Tray
Sliding Work Surface On Top Narrow Drawer of Roll Cab
Heavy-Duty Ball Bearing Slides On All Drawers - With Quick Disconnect
Heavy-Gauge Double Wall Steel Construction
Old 06-29-2004, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nesto
yup heavy is a very important thing. considering that there is not lead plates in the bottom of it, you know all the weight is in the box it self. this insures you that this is a really heavy duty tool box. my light a$$ craftsman, the one in my garage that i only use every other weekend is already having problems opening and closeing. then when the doors are open, they sag and the paint looks like crap already. but hey you could pick it up if you whated to. my 4 year Matco box that is opened 100s of times a day still works fine and looks like new. but if you wanted to take it to another shop, you will need a car hualer and lots of freinds. last time i just called a tow truck to do it for me. considering that it sits in the same spot for years with out moveing an inch, weight is not a problem. and if someone wanted to steel it, they better be He Man.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

"but if you wanted to take it to another shop, you will need a car hualer and lots of freinds"

I just have a ramp made of 3 10ft 4x4s and some 3/4 inch ply wood with angle iron on the side for railing. I put it on the bumper of the van and 3 guys can push it up. coming down is alot more intresting.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ta12sec
"but if you wanted to take it to another shop, you will need a car hualer and lots of freinds"

I just have a ramp made of 3 10ft 4x4s and some 3/4 inch ply wood with angle iron on the side for railing. I put it on the bumper of the van and 3 guys can push it up. coming down is alot more intresting.
getting it to stop is also intresting. luckly it doesnt move very offen.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

One tech I know has 2 toolboxes at work. One's a Mac and one's a Snap-On, he has over 200k in tools and boxes. His big box the Mac he was switching shops and they flat bed truck was loading it and the winch on the tow truck it was so heavy.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can justify it, click on the link.
http://community.webshots.com/user/fraser350

I paid 4500 for the box 1500 for the hutch. Matco tool boxs are the best.
A friend of mine that works at a dealership that I used to work at has a box like that or damn near it.

I myself own a craftsman ball bearing box, and although I wish I had a snapon,mac, etc I can't justify it for just weekend stuff, etc.

But when I worked at the dealership I easily understood why a quality box was important. 3 mechanics had rather cheap boxes (sliding drawers, no bearings, flimsy etc...) and 3 had niice matco or mac boxes. One drawer could be full of heavy *** tools and it would slide easier than one of the cheapo boxes with minimal weight.

Quick Reply: MAC tool box = $6,000