Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman or Snap-on @ 66% off retail?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craftsman or Snap-on @ 66% off retail?

Ok I'm faced with a decision here....

I recently started with GM's ASEP program and while in school (2 Years) I can purchase up to $4600 retail in snap on for 50-66% off retail prices. Don't get me wrong, I like snap on but I'm going to get 100X more tools for my initial $$$ with craftsman. I already have a ton of tools in a 19 drawer BB Husky tool box.

Looking at the snap on ASEP set, I feel I already have 50%+ of everything included. The retail on the set is $3900, I can purchase it for $1800

Looking at the top of the line 546pc craftsman set @ $1299, I feel I get 1000X more tools at almost half the cost. Not to mention if I hit a sale with my craftsman tool club discount 10% I can purchase the set for $1169

I'm really thinking about going craftsman for the tool set and using my $4600 Snap on limit to buy important tools like ratchets & other specialty tools. What do you guys think? To me the craftsman tool set isn't loaded with EXTREMELY overpriced screw drivers and hacksaws, Stuff I already own...

For those professional techs out there, what snap on tools do you recommend I buy with my discount over whats included in the craftsman set?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the ASEP program myself and I went with craftsman. I bought a 40 inch ball bearing top and bottom box for $250 off since the store didn't have the one I wanted adn the salesman wanted to make a sale. Then I bought a 3 piece prybar set, an 8 piece screwdriver set, an IR 2135Ti and craftsman professional air ratchet part number 0919919. A 275 piece socket set catalog number 0944075 I can't find it online right now but it costs $479.97. Professional Combination wrenches standard and metric #0934951. I also got the auto specialty set that was 94 piece but they've changed it to 98 and it has some stuff in it that it didn't have before and is a better set now than it was #0934007.I bought a set of metric gear wrenches. I also got the 95 piece Impact socket set #0934294. I bought a 4 pound sledge and 20 piece chisel punch and alignment set from craftsman later as well as some other tools I found I needed which have not been too many. I think I have about $4000 dollars in tools including my tool box, roll around cart and stuff i've got off the snap on truck about $200 worth so far and don't run into very many situations where I need anything I don't have. Its funny I'm the youngest tech in the shop have as many tools as everyone else and have less invested and never have had need for warranty on anything.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

don't waste money on the prebuilt snap on tool sets, they are largly incomplete in my opinion. If it were me, (and it was, im in the same program) i'd buy the craftsman tools, but take advantage of the snap on toolbox prices. They are leagues better than any craftsman box you can buy. I had a craftsman box, and sold it for a 3 bay snap on box out of the SEP snap on book. It's the 5319 box on the first page of the catalog. Being's though it's like 60% off, it's a hard deal to beat. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and i absolutely love it.

Once you get to work, start up an account with your truck, most of them will work with you on prices. And then, buy the things you want.

Eric
Old 10-08-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would also buy the majority of regular style tools - sockets, wrenches, etc. from Craftsman and then buy the special or unique stuff from Snap On. Thats how I've bought a lot of my stuff.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy the snap-on Then E-bay it for more! Buy a **** load of snap-on or craftsman then!
Old 10-10-2004, 03:49 AM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Buy the snap-on Then E-bay it for more! Buy a **** load of snap-on or craftsman then!
There ya go! Good idea....or maybe hook some of your LS1Tech buddies up with discount tools
Old 10-10-2004, 04:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds good, I know a few people that would buy them if the price was right. Me being one of them
Old 10-10-2004, 10:08 AM
10-Second Club

I'm sure I could use a few items off the snap on truck as well.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok dude when it comes to presision tools such as torque wrenches, torque dial metter and, any speciallyse tools go with snap-on, regular whrenches and beat up tools go with craft, howver keep in mind snap-on is alot more expensive for a reason, comparing craft, to snap-on is like comparing tomka plastic toy tools (craftman) to real tools ( snap-on).
Old 10-10-2004, 07:30 PM
wrencher

Exactly , 15 years & I wouldn't think of using anything else but "real" tools. When I started I had craftsman stuff, then got rid of it as I went along. Once you work with them every day you'll see what I mean. The only thing I use the cheap tools for is making specialty tools out of 'em with the torch.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should find someone who is looking for snap-on stuff, and work out a deal with them. They buy you craftsman stuff, you buy them snap-on stuff of equal value.

Or just ebay it/sell it here. Buy 4600$ worth of snap on, and sell it cheap. Make at least the $1200 or whatever you wanted to buy the craftsman set. End result - no money spent, and you have a nice huge craftsman tool set.

Dope
Dope
Old 10-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Coal Mining Director

I own three of the best Craftsman torque wrenches and I'm not happy. They will be replaced with SnapOn tq wrenches over time. SnapOn makes a much better tq wrench. I'm happy with the rest of the Craftsman tools.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

dude a 1.5k snap on torque wrenche is not even on the same planet as a 100 dollars craftman, there is a reason why the first moon landing had snap-on with them, cause they are the best. if you want a simple iron made wrenche fine go with kraft, oops i meant craft, lol but for the good stuff go with snap-on
Old 10-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Teching In

I have mostly Craftsman tools, along with some Matco specialty tools and a couple Snapon ratchets as well as torque wrenches. I'd say get the craftsman for most your tools minus the specialty tools, air tools, and torque wrenches. Go IR all the way with air tools.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought one of those craftsmen set's.. They're great for under the kitchen sink.. Snap On in the garage hand's down..
Old 10-14-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

I work at a large Ford dealer and have been in the service end for about 7 years. They ALL use Snap-on, Cornwell, or Mac tools. They are better than Craftsman when it comes to every day use and abuse. I'm sure it's a smart bet to start off with Craftsman then replace them as you need to.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in charge of over $98,000 worth of hand tools in our shop (in the AF) and I get to order just about anything I want for our shop, as long as it's Snap-on. The tools are ok, I just think their toolboxes are junk compared to Craftsman boxes. I will take my 6' tall Craftsman ball-bearing grip latch tool box any day over the Snap-On boxes at work. The drawers bind up, and most of the locks on them are garbage and you have to jack with them to get them to work every time. Just my $.02 though.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

you can also purchase MAC tools at 50% off retail. You can pick and choose and do not have to buy a set.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Resident

Exclamation

The only tools that occupy my CRAFTSMAN tool box are SNAP-ON AND MATCO. Once you start using them on a day to day basis you will see that craftmans not cut out for the non stop daily abuse. Remember the tools are what make your pay check.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

youll get sick and tired of replacing tools on a regular daily/weekly basis. You get what you pay for. Keep the cheap stuff at home if you already have, and get yourself the good stuff for work. Youll also find yourself whether you like or not replacing the cheap stuff real quick. When it comes to air tools dont sacrafice, buy a real good impact snapon , and the rest for the most part get yourself husky brand from the depot their made by cambel hausfeld but feature a lifetime warrenty which youll need because youll keep replacing them. For the most part the 90 deg air grinder and high speed sander ive replaced several times and almost time to renew my drill. The air ratchet seems strong and on this side of the boarder it almost the same price as snapon, which only comes with a 1 year warrenty as compared to lifetime. In the long run youll save money which you can put toward your car.

Quick Reply: Craftsman or Snap-on @ 66% off retail?