Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

wanna buy a welder

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default wanna buy a welder

IM looking for a welder to fab up my own turbo kit. im currently in school for welding. what output amps and duty cycle would be good for the house 220vlts for my personal use on headers pipes and roll cages? Looking to spend no more than like 600 if possible? thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

all you need is a good 135 or 140 Mig...look into Hobart,Lincoln Electric or Miller...they are all reasonbly priced and are perfect for what you need them for
Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to use the school welders, but if not a TIG will give the best looking welds, but MIG will be the easiest to use.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

i seen this tig/stick/plasma cutter on ebay tell me if you all think its worth getting or looking in to. I did a search of the model number and it is made by a welding supply company in china. the numbers do look good. it has a 60% duty cycle and Efficiency: 85% but im gonna find out at what amps is that at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-A-PLASMA-CUTT...QQcmdZViewItem
thats the ebay link but the company adress page is

http://hjtools.en.alibaba.com/group/..._Machines.html

tell me what you all think.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

The issue I think you'll have with a "Smiley Tools" welding setup is - very low resale value if / when you choose to upgrade, and parts availability. What happens when it breaks? What happens when you need a new tip for something? If the circuit board pops... then what? With Miller and/or Lincoln, you know who to call. If this "Smiley Tools" guy goes out of business, you're stuck with a brick, and you'll end up buying a Lincoln or Miller anyway because you'll be so pissed at yourself for trying to save a few bux, and you'll want to do it right the second time. Been there, done that. My vote is to do it right the first time, and buy a name brand. When you go to upgrade in the future, you'll easily sell it and recoup a lot of your money.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

i have to say what you said you made a lot of since and i will take what you said and runwith it. yes i was trying to get all i can with as little money to spend. thanks for taking the time out to help me out with this
Old 05-13-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a lincoln 175 that is awsome. i got a smokin deal on it. think they sell for like 600 for so not real sure. it does a fine job even on real small stuff
Old 05-13-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

do it weld aluminum?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You’re not going to get something that will weld aluminum and steel out of the box for $600.

Although there’s some better cheap Chinese stuff coming out now in this category, I really have a hard time believing that a $700 mig/tig/plasma cutter can do what they have listed there. The biggest deal there is the cutting ¾”, that’s in the range of big, expensive professional plasma cutters. I’m not even sure that I’d believe something in the 3/8” range, at least not clean cut, maybe sever.

If you want something immediately, I’d probably look at something like a Hobart handler 140 and you’ll easily break your $600 limit on supplies, bottle…, that will get you started and will be a nice little mig box that you will have use for for pretty much forever, even if you get bigger and better welders later on it will be a nice one to keep around, portable, runs on a 110 outlet that you can find anywhere and surprisingly capable (I LOVE my older HH135, which Hobart added to and is now selling as a 140). Then if you need to weld aluminum take it in to school.

Alternatively, you’d probably be better off waiting till you spend some time at school and 1- you might find that you really like certain types in equipment better then others and 2- when you spend time in an area you tend to run across deals on equipment…
Old 05-15-2006, 03:53 AM
Staging Lane

You don't want to go cheap when your doing pipes. You'll be pissed!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 04:15 AM
11 Second Club

I use the miller dyanasty 200 dx for GTAW and SMAW. I dont do GMAW at all so i dont know anything about that.
There is a old SMAW miller machine at work that is about 15 years old with 8 hours of use a day, 6 days a week, and lincoln machine 17 years ol with good service still, there is local Miller and Lincoln serivce center near you, also parts are eaisly avalible compared to the crap chinese stuff cant go wrong buying either of the two. The only other company machine that i will even consider buying is the T/A185TSW ac/dc inverter. Be looking to spend around $2000-$5000 for a good inverter with acceriores if you wanna weld ac /dc GTAW and SMAW, I just love the inverter technolgy You should not buy a cheap welder,even your welding teacher will agree, For the price range you posted you can get a GMAW lincoln welder,

Good luck.

Last edited by LS1FIRE; 05-15-2006 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a Clarke 130EN gas/gasless welder that I love. Welder, small gas tank, regulator, auto darkening helmet, shipped to my house was only $510. It is 110v, but Clarke makes 220v welders also. If you want to know where I got my set up PM me and I will give you their address .