Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

I need help with my air compressor setup.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with my air compressor setup.

I know these are stupid questions, but I'm new to this stuff and I don't have anyone around here to help me. I just bought a Campbell Hausfeld 60gal compressor. I bought it at TSC and they gave it to me right of the floor. The only thing they gave me was the instructions and 2 air filters. I don't know what parts to buy to set it up correctly. I asked the guys at TSC and they just handed me some compressor oil and said that's it. Obviously that wasn't it, so I need some help finding the right parts since they won't help me. I emailed Campbell Hausfeld, but they weren't any help either. Here's what I'm trying to find out.
1. What fitting do I need that goes in the tank outlet - the opening is about one inch. Campbell Hausfeld said I needed a 3/4" ball check valve, but I checked and 3/4" isn't big enough.
2. I'm planning on operating a nitrous pump, and it says it needs to be oil free. Can I just put a couple filters inline to dry out the air? I bought a regulator/filter/lubricator, can I just run that witout the lubrication aswell as the other inline filters?

I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me on this. I'm really needing this compressor up and running right now.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Keep in mind that 3/4" ball valve is talking 3/4" NPT fitting, which is not simply 3/4" diameter. 3/4" NPT is some pretty big stuff; my 60 gal Ingersoll-Rand compressor used a 1/2" ball valve (1/2" NPT fitting) on the side of it, and I have no problems running anything.

I'd get ready to buy some pipe if I were you.

I would set up 2 drops if you really want to run the lubricator. You will also want 2 hoses as well. Set up one drop / line to run without lubrication, and set up the other to run with. Me, I just oil my tools occasionally, so I don't run a lubricator (you do not want lubricating oil if you ever plan on painting, sandblasting, etc).

I've got 2 drops in this picture:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...7&d=1146332269

One for tools (on the far right side, using 1/4" fittings), one for paint (in the middle of the pic, after the additional filters, with a 3/8" and a 1/4" fitting). I use 3/8" fittings on my HVLP gun.

Anyhow, I'd suggest wall mounting your filters etc, and using galvanized, black pipe, or copper to make an air system. I had a custom rubber hose made to go from my compressor to the wall:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...6&d=1146332269

The fittings on my hose are 3/4" NPT.

My whole thread is here, if you're interested.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication/480039-plumbing-shop-air.html

One thing to keep in mind, that filters / watertraps placed right off of the compressor aren't as good as one placed 'downstream' a bit. If you give the air some pipe to cool down in, your traps will do a better job of collecting the moisture. Also, think about some way you can rig up a valve to drain the tank. My tank came with a tiny valve stuck to the bottom, I would never have been able to drain it. I replaced it with an elbow, an extension, and a 1/4" ball valve. Easy to drain now.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the info and pictures. I checked out your thread and it helps a lot. I'm gonna see if I can go to the store and grab some supplies so I can put together something like your system. Thanks.

Quick Reply: I need help with my air compressor setup.